SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 1st June 2010, 19:05

Mood
Horny

Default Panic attacks

Hi, been getting a few panic attacks just lately, didnt know what they where untill now. Do any of you guys get them??

Incog
Old 1st June 2010, 19:28

Mood
Blah

Default Re: Panic attacks

I've been told I have never had a full blown panic attack becasue I've not passed out/blacked out.

Have you?

I often get heart racing and real bad pains in my chest and shortness of breath etc. but never to the point of passing out..
Old 1st June 2010, 21:42

Mood
Horny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeniX
I've been told I have never had a full blown panic attack becasue I've not passed out/blacked out.

Have you?

I often get heart racing and real bad pains in my chest and shortness of breath etc. but never to the point of passing out..
http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Panic-Attack.htm

I thought too you had to blackout/faint, but that is not the case. Ive had a full blown one once, and my instinct was to fight. But did'nt due to not wanting too lose my job.
Old 1st June 2010, 22:38

Mood
Lurking

I haven't had a full blown panic attack in a while but still have to calm my breathing/heart rate down every now and then when it gets a bit too much. Normally I just try and find somewhere quiet :rolleyes:
Old 1st June 2010, 22:55
Banned

yep i've had them, the triggers for me having them are low blood sugar, being closed in in a place i can't get out of ie working by a bench at work not being able to wander off if i feel anxious, and of all things hayfever medication(nasal sprays) they have corticosteriods in them which cause anxiety, also smoking causes anxiety and i've given that up i used to get them worse if i smoked proper fags not so much on roll ups must be something in royals that agravated it.

i've recently changed my diet removing wheat and dairy, i've given up smoking and i've started regular exercise cycling/bit of running but not fussed on the running. hopefully this will help with the panic attacks i'm wondering if they are linked into being unfit.

and no you don't have to pass out to have had a panic attack i usually end up sweating like mad feeling light headed and getting what i would describe as tunnel vision where i can't focus on anything around me or communicate with people around me and i get agravated towards people but they don't understand what i'm feeling and i can't let them know. very frustrating.
Old 1st June 2010, 23:22

I get them whenever i leave the house for no paticular reason, if i have to go and get something that is completely necessary then i just panic a bit but if im just goin out just to get myself out the house then i have a full blown panic attack, that made sense in my head dunno if it does to all you people lol.

btw Moomin i love your pic^^ we have a budgie named Rimmer i'm that obsessed with the show haha x
Old 2nd June 2010, 08:51

Mood
Creative

Yep, had panic disorder for quite a few years. The triggers are not really triggers, you just convince yourself they are and then convince yourself into a panic attack, it's a very tricky process to get yourself out of that way of thinking.

my wrong thinking was:
1. not drinking enough water = I carried water everywhere, sipping often
2. supermarket lighting = I avoided supermarkets and went to outdoor markets
3. crowded transport = I walked or travelled off peak
4. food poisoning = I eat mostly veg and cooked meat to death
5. bad air/air con = I avoided anywhere like this

Exposure therapy worked best for me. See a doc and he should refer you to a councellor or someonthing. It seems pretty severe at the time but I do belive it's one of those things you can turn around successfully.
Old 2nd June 2010, 09:03

Mood
Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***1103;emus
my wrong thinking was:
1. not drinking enough water = I carried water everywhere, sipping often
2. supermarket lighting = I avoided supermarkets and went to outdoor markets
3. crowded transport = I walked or travelled off peak
4. food poisoning = I eat mostly veg and cooked meat to death
5. bad air/air con = I avoided anywhere like this

Exposure therapy worked best for me. See a doc and he should refer you to a councellor or someonthing. It seems pretty severe at the time but I do belive it's one of those things you can turn around successfully.
Yeah I carry water pretty much everywhere with me. Not as much as I maybe used to but still 90% of the time. I used to because of the dry throat all the time. Now I think I carry it more as a habit, although I do like water and drink alot of it (dont drink fizzy drinks etc). I think its a comfort thing. You should see how many empty or half empty bottles ly in the footwells of my car Normally 10+. Thankfully I'm starting to keep the new car a bit cleaner from that sorta thing.

I always used to carry chewing gum with me also which my therapist picked up on years ago. Again it was for the dry throat etc. I've not carried it with me now for maybe 2 years.

If I'm travelling and know I'm going to be a passenger I always make sure I've my ipod with me that has some relaxation tracks on it and I zone out or try to sleep through it so I don't panic.
Old 2nd June 2010, 16:32

Mood
Fine

I used to get regular panic attacks in certain situations. Most of them were when i was at work. Having SA and a job dealing with the public where you have to push sales onto them and be chatty, absolutley killed me. If a customer refused to buy what i was selling or if my sales pitch wasnt up to scratch (difficult with SA) it made me think i was a failure at my job and sent me into panic mode. I would go all hot and sweaty,dizzy and couldnt breathe properly and just wanted to be on my own. It was all made worse by people coming over and asking me if i was ok. I just needed time on my own to calm myself down, but the manager kept sending me home instead. In the end i convinced the company to make me redundant on medical grounds so im free of that line of work, which is a massive weight off my shoulders!

I also had panic attacks in crowded places, like shops or waiting rooms or if i was in a long queue.

I havent had one for quite a while though, not sure what i have done differently to avoid having them . Maybe it was just the pressure and stress i was under when i was working. Either way i am glad to be rid of them!

Hope you can sort yours out though, its a horrible thing to be afflicted with.
Old 2nd June 2010, 18:27

Mood
Psychedelic

Used to get them alot but it seems to have been awhile thank god. I don't think you need to black out either.
Old 2nd June 2010, 18:29

I get them when I feel that I really cannot cope
Old 2nd June 2010, 19:11

Mood
Horny

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFG
yep i've had them, the triggers for me having them are low blood sugar, being closed in in a place i can't get out of ie working by a bench at work not being able to wander off if i feel anxious, and of all things hayfever medication(nasal sprays) they have corticosteriods in them which cause anxiety, also smoking causes anxiety and i've given that up i used to get them worse if i smoked proper fags not so much on roll ups must be something in royals that agravated it.

i've recently changed my diet removing wheat and dairy, i've given up smoking and i've started regular exercise cycling/bit of running but not fussed on the running. hopefully this will help with the panic attacks i'm wondering if they are linked into being unfit.

and no you don't have to pass out to have had a panic attack i usually end up sweating like mad feeling light headed and getting what i would describe as tunnel vision where i can't focus on anything around me or communicate with people around me and i get agravated towards people but they don't understand what i'm feeling and i can't let them know. very frustrating.
Been getting alot myself when driving at the mo. Just need to too relax lmao!
Closed Thread