SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 8th February 2024, 14:04

Default Re: Small things that annoy you (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by genovese
Old 11th February 2024, 10:34

Mood
Alienated

I love BBC Radio 6music, the only radio station I listen to. Such brilliant music, and really helps chill me out. But every half an hour they have news bulletins. So after listening to something beautiful and transcendent, I hear someone like Michael Gove talking or some other anger-provoking politician. It’s very irritating.
Old 11th February 2024, 10:49

^ I always wonder why they bother putting the news on the radio when it's more of a form of escapism or companionship. Plus everyone has access to the news at their finger tips. Maybe some people like it though?
Old 11th February 2024, 12:44

Yesterday I got a stomach attack where it gets all bloated and it's hard to move or walk. I was in the middle of spice shopping but luckily my sister drove so could get me home to writhe in private instead whilst clutching mustard seeds in the rice aisle.

I thought I'd got it locked down after not eating the usual triggers. Now I need to keep an eye out for new triggers. I wish there were a food intolerance test.
Old 11th February 2024, 13:23

^ I get something very similar and I also try to avoid triggers, but my doctor hasn't offered any food intolerance tests and seems convinced that it is entirely anxiety-related (even though I get attacks when not feeling anxious) and wants to prescribe SSRIs. There may be some truth to anxiety sometimes playing a part, as I've only had one significant attack (last July, in Lodz) since becoming single (the attacks were frequent during my relationship) nearly two years ago, but I'm convinced there is a physical cause too.
Old 11th February 2024, 13:23

Quote:
How many more items of clothing have to be prematurely retired before somebody does something?
Yeah, I want them to stop making clothes that won't last. It's such a waste of everyone's time and bad for the planet.
Old 11th February 2024, 13:26

^^^ and ^^ Sorry the anxious tummy affects your life so badly
Old 11th February 2024, 15:30

^ thank ya!

^^^ sorry that you have this too! That's interesting that the doctor thinks it's psychosomatic. I've never actually been to a doctor about it before. Mainly because I thought it was triggered by food so just avoid the foods that trigger it. Yesterday I ate barely anything but the day before I did have a roll with soup, so I think it might have been the roll as it was a little stale.
Old 13th February 2024, 06:49

People who find things then take them home and post to say they've found glasses/keys etc on their local Facebook group. Why not just leave the item where they found it.

Why do they assume everyone belongs to the same shitty little group they belong to. I imagine lots of people retracing their steps trying to find their lost item wondering where it is. But it's OK cos Karen's posted and taken it home for safe keeping. Twats
Old 13th February 2024, 10:41

I hate all the packaging with Amazon parcels!
It takes forever to get into them and I order so much from Amazon!
Old 13th February 2024, 11:59

Mood
Cynical

^^ It's also unhelpful if you've been kicked out of the biggest local Facebook group for politely disagreeing with the people who run it *cough*
Old 14th February 2024, 12:16

Puckering ell, that feels like it would be annoying to use
Old 16th February 2024, 02:34

The price of hotels in central London. They're absolutely stupid. Even looking at a full 6 months in advance, they're eye-watering. There are cheaper ones, but they look like... bed and breakfast type places? Airbnb's? I dunno. I've never stayed anywhere that wasn't a big anonymous chain where I barely have to interact with anyone.

Doesn't feel like too long ago you could get an ordinary room at a Premier Inn type place for around £100, now it appears to be close to double that.
Old 16th February 2024, 06:30

^ yesss! I was trying to find somewhere cheapish to stay last year. Only a couple of years ago I stayed in one of the chain hotels for about £40. It was a double room so we split the cost. Can't see that bargain ever being a reality again!

I've used air bnb loads of times but I'd be too scared to stay in a hotel or air bnb on my own.
Old 16th February 2024, 09:25

London seems to have moved well beyond the £100-120 a night hotel chain room since the pandemic.

Airbnbs have been creeping up over the last few years too, with the fees added they're often now about the same as a mid-range hotel if you're wanting the entire place to yourself.
Old 16th February 2024, 18:40

I don't think I could deal with staying in someone else's place they're renting out like airbnb. I'd be stressed over every possible thing they could hassle me with. Like, what if I found a pube in the fridge, and after I'd left they claimed it was one of mine, and charged me a cleanup fee? Could happen.

Just give me one of those Japanese sleeping pods to kip in. Don't even need fresh sheets, just give me one of those crash mats you got in PE lessons. £20 a night, sorted.
Old 17th February 2024, 01:41

I stayed in this Travelodge about 10 minutes' from King's Cross a few weeks ago for a long weekend. The Saturday was over £100 (but not much) but the Thursday and Friday were less than that. It's even cheaper in the week.

It was quite basic but the bed was comfortable enough. It's a good spot - lots of shops and restaurants within walking distance.
Old 17th February 2024, 02:18

I stayed in this one a couple of years ago. Good location, near Kings Cross (he'll be very cross at the moment, what with being ill (King Charles the Ill) and everything). Very clean too.
Old 17th February 2024, 15:48
Co-Administrator

Mood
Nerdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merritt
I don't think I could deal with staying in someone else's place they're renting out like airbnb. I'd be stressed over every possible thing they could hassle me with. Like, what if I found a pube in the fridge, and after I'd left they claimed it was one of mine, and charged me a cleanup fee? Could happen.
You could pre-emptively send the airbnb owner a sample of your pubes - you know, in case this situation should arise. And another one to the Met police - I bet they have great pube-distinguishing technology.

Old 17th February 2024, 18:15

^ Good idea! A single pube in an envelope with a note that reads 'For your records'. They'd probably be able to tell what it's about, I bet they get them all the time.

Thank you very muchly to Appear and My Mum for the suggestions I got the dates I needed at the Travelodge for about half what I thought I might have to shell out. If you want a complimentary biscuit and sachet of Nescafe smuggling out, you need but ask.
Old 17th February 2024, 18:22

Going anywhere exciting, Luke?

By the way, I was in Leicester bus station back in August on my way to Loughborough to collect a car I bought from my nephew. Thought about calling round to yours for a coffee and awkward silences
Old 17th February 2024, 18:34

It pays to shop around, Merritt! And if you're still taking requests, I wouldn't mind some of that fancy hotel soap! And a hotel bed wouldn't go amiss as well! Although they might miss it, but still!
Old 17th February 2024, 23:48

^ I'll smuggle a bed out for you, prison style. If anyone asks, I'll just say I had a big weetabix for breakfast.

^^ Got tickets for a couple of gigs in London, but they're both a few months off so plenty of dread and wondering if I should just stay home to look forward to

Ooh, you should have yelled my name while you were waiting for your bus, I might have been within earshot!
Old 18th February 2024, 00:35

Quote:
^^ Got tickets for a couple of gigs in London, but they're both a few months off so plenty of dread and wondering if I should just stay home to look forward to
No, you shouldn't (stay home, that is), if you have tickets that's a commitment - and GIGS!

I didn't know you were in Leicester, I've just arrived home from a gig there (well, mini-festival over the past two days); I drove by St Margaret's bus station on my way in this morning.
Old 18th February 2024, 14:25

I am distraught (well, slightly miffed, but I like to be over-dramatic) because I have set aside today to bring my life events (which haven't been updated since July 2023) on Facebook up to date, but whenever I try to create a post on my profile, it vanishes and a little box appears telling me "something went wrong". I'd tried to make a start on the same thing about four or five days ago, when the same thing happened, so it doesn't seem to be a temporary issue. What makes it worse is that I did manage to post photos from a recent trip on a couple of travel groups there, in the text of which I promised to update my profile this weekend. Now I look like a liar, as well as someone who's life ended in July 2023.
Old 18th February 2024, 16:14

Quote:
^ I'll smuggle a bed out for you, prison style. If anyone asks, I'll just say I had a big weetabix for breakfast.

Ooh, you should have yelled my name while you were waiting for your bus, I might have been within earshot!
I was supposed to go a gig last weekend, but anxiety got the better of me. I'm fine with going to London because the transport system is just perfect for getting to most of the gig venues and then my sister lives near London so I can get the train back to hers. But this wasn't in London and I just couldn't find anywhere to stay that wasn't over £100 and I got anxious about driving to somewhere new and in the dark etc. I'm pretty annoyed with myself for not being my usual YOU ARE DOING THIS WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT BECAUSE IT WILL BE WORTH IT self.

But I put it down to not organising myself and working out all those finer details.

The feeling of going is usually a million times better than the feeling of not going but it's also okay for things to feel too much and not go.
Old 18th February 2024, 17:10

Quote:
Aww

Quote:
Old 4th March 2024, 07:08

I get annoyed by the media reporting 'hard-working families' being impacted by cost of living rises. Us single hard-working folk are affected too!!
Old 4th March 2024, 10:46

^Kind of reminds me of when certain struggles seen as women issues are highlighted but issues men may have seem to go ignored. One example is a video on the Central Line train refurbishments where the women, part of the team involved in refurbishing the trains points out that adding cctv to the refurbed tube stock makes the train safer for women. Men can be vulnerable as well???
Old 4th March 2024, 19:59

plantar fasciitis

ouch!