SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > SAUK Community > Club 30-81
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 28th December 2022, 20:56

Default Re: Do you have any goals for 2022

I thought I'd gone mad there momentarily. But google agrees with me 'break the duck' is a thing.
'Answer: The phrase derives from Cricket when you get no runs as a batsman it's called getting a duck. The reason it's called a Duck is that the 0 written on a score card looks like a ducks egg. So when you finally get off the mark in something, you've broken your duck.11 Jul 20'

'popped a baby'. I've been pulled over twice on this but can't remember who the other person was. It seems fine English to me!

Ah that's good Dougella.
Old 28th December 2022, 22:42

Mood
Cynical

^ Oh it's a cricket thing, well no wonder I didn't get the reference!
Old 29th December 2022, 10:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by affluenza
An alright 2022 Dougella? Or Jen? Or anyone?
I guess it was okay, thanks. I've had to really think about what happened this year since they all kind of blend into one.

My only goal for this year according to this thread was to get more experience driving, which I suppose I have done a little, but I still hate driving in this country so will just stick to making necessary trips instead of planning longer journeys. I went on a couple of holidays this year, and my granddad died in the summer, which meant I had to go to LA with only one day's notice, which was very stressful and kicked off quite a bad period of depression for the last few months of the year. I taught a couple more cooking classes and a few weeks ago did private catering for a dinner party, which went pretty well despite all the anxiety I had around it, so I'll take that as a positive. I won't be actively seeking out more opportunities for those things, but I suppose my goal for 2023 will be to not turn them down if they do come up. Oh yeah, I also stopped drinking in September. I never drank too much or too often, but I definitely relied on it for making social events easier and I wanted to stop so that I could work on learning to get through them without it. I've found it okay so far, mostly.
Old 29th December 2022, 11:29

What is it about driving that stop you doing the longer trips.

When you do private catering is it just you there at someone's home? The only experience I have of private catering is on Curb Your Enthusiasm. "We'll get it catered!"
Is it an intimate affair, do you serve up and get to listen to all their table conversation. Or are you in the kitchen and other people serving
Old 29th December 2022, 12:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by genovese
What is it about driving that stop you doing the longer trips.
Just bad drivers generally. Frequently seeing people using their phones while driving makes me incredibly anxious. I don't want to die or become disabled due to somebody not being able to wait until they got home before opening a link to a TikTok video or whatever. That and people not indicating, speeding, parking badly, etc. I always feel hesitant to drive more than about 30 minutes away because I'll just be dreading having to make the trip back the whole time. I hate the constant stop-start of driving in the UK too, it feels like you can't ever move for more than a minute without having to stop for something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genovese
When you do private catering is it just you there at someone's home? The only experience I have of private catering is on Curb Your Enthusiasm. "We'll get it catered!"
Is it an intimate affair, do you serve up and get to listen to all their table conversation. Or are you in the kitchen and other people serving
For the catering job I was just in the kitchen of someone's house and there were eight guests (someone I know a little plus her friends). Luckily my sister decided to come up to help me because of how anxious I was getting about it, so she did the serving/interacting with them while I hid in the kitchen. For the "classes" it was for smaller groups, but it was talking about things/demonstrating while cooking, and then all eating together afterwards.
Old 29th December 2022, 17:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen.
Just bad drivers generally.
Yeh all that possibility is out there. I suppose getting your licence at 17 or thereabouts completely shields you from a lot of the what if's &
hypervigilance. At that age you feel indestructible so most those things don't even occur to you. Basic, but important stuff like keeping your distance, letting anyone in a hurry go past you and parking in the quietest corner of a car park are all worthwhile no matter how long you've been driving.
Old 30th December 2022, 10:57

I think it's good to have a healthy fear of the roads. I don't like driving. My mum and her partner never used certain roads, the 60/70mph roads. And it's understandable, its terrifying some roads. I couldn't drive in the Midlands, or near London.
Old 30th December 2022, 12:04

Mood
Musical

Quote:
Originally Posted by T
Well i've been doing bouldering/indoor climbing for around 2 years which started as a new year resolution and normally i don't stick with any but this one i have.... my next goal/new year resolution is to try with the ropes which i wasn't keen on but gonna try it you never know i might just like it!

Well that didn't go to plan sadly due to work situation had to knock the climbing on its head this year but will try to get back to it next year!
Old 31st December 2022, 15:42
Banned as Requested

Hi,

I thought I'd share this here, perhaps it might inspire those who are looking for a change of career.

I'd been unemployed and on benefits for four years. In that time I'd self taught myself how to use Excel and Microsoft Power BI, as I wanted to pursue a career as a Data Analyst (having never worked in the IT industry before)

I had built a portfolio of work to demonstrate my knowledge in this area.

Towards the end of 2021 I began to apply for Data Analyst roles more intensively. After a 100+ rejections (no responses) I received an offer of an interview for an Analyst role at an NHS Trust.

I had the interview, which went very well, and landed the job. I started earlier this year, starting on 23k. (The typical going rate for someone considered a 'junior').

After 6 months in the role, I began to apply for higher positions, at other NHS trusts.

I have now secured employment with a trust in London, almost doubling my salary. (I jumped two bands higher, which is quite rare according to my Manager).

I was told by my job centre coach (4 years ago) that I couldn't become a Data Analyst, because I didn't have a degree.

So if any of you guys fancy a change of career and are hesitant about it, I hope you decide to pursue it. Its never too late, I am 41.
Old 31st December 2022, 17:02

^ that's brilliant and inspirational news, Raks!

Also... hulllloooo, public sector pension.
Old 31st December 2022, 17:23

^^ Seriously well done. Great achievement.
Old 1st January 2023, 09:06

[QUOTE=Raks1981;2562203]

Hi Raks,

Nice to see you back – and very well done.

I've also secured new employment which I'm happy with.

Hope 2023 is a better year for us all.
Old 1st January 2023, 16:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raks1981
Hi,

I thought I'd share this here, perhaps it might inspire those who are looking for a change of career.

I'd been unemployed and on benefits for four years. In that time I'd self taught myself how to use Excel and Microsoft Power BI, as I wanted to pursue a career as a Data Analyst (having never worked in the IT industry before)

Towards the end of 2021 I began to apply for Data Analyst roles more intensively. After a 100+ rejections (no responses) I received an offer of an interview for an Analyst role at an NHS Trust.

I had the interview, which went very well, and landed the job. I started earlier this year, starting on 23k. (The typical going rate for someone considered a 'junior').

After 6 months in the role, I began to apply for higher positions, at other NHS trusts.

I have now secured employment with a trust in London, almost doubling my salary. (I jumped two bands higher, which is quite rare according to my Manager).

I was told by my job centre coach (4 years ago) that I couldn't become a Data Analyst, because I didn't have a degree.

So if any of you guys fancy a change of career and are hesitant about it, I hope you decide to pursue it. Its never too late, I am 41.
This post should be stuck somewhere on the main page of this site. Absolutely fantastic stuff buddy. Seriously impressive considering what a competitive field that is.
Old 1st January 2023, 21:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raks1981
Hi,

Wow! That is a great story!