SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 16th June 2022, 00:25

Mood
Tired

Default Does Samaritans block callers?

Hi,

I'm asking because a dear friend of mine who called me at work was feeling suicidal due to severe fibro myalgia. I went round after work for a chat, she lit-up, we had a chat.

This friend of mine has had this disability so badly, she's been stuck in the flat, needs to rely on others for basics, or get taxis. I suggested getting a mobility scooter.

I suggested at times when I'm not available, she contact Samaritans. To my horror, she told me she had been blocked. Seriously!? This is a first. This made me uncomfortable (I could be in my friend's situation).

If that's the case this violates 'we're here for you anytime' promise of the organisation.

I cannot think of anything more shitty than to have no-one to turn to, only to have a listening ear cancelled.

If they do block callers THEY SHOULD STATE on the site (even if it violates founding principals). If that is the case, they should tell the truth.

My friend said she didn't feel like living. It was when I told her that I care, and that other friends care, we don't want to see suicide attempts or a dead.. (friends name won't be shared). Asserting people care. That made ALL THE DIFFERENCE in the world.

Do Samaritans block callers? This seemed to be a big part in my friend's distress.
Old 16th June 2022, 01:50

Mood
Tired

Default Re: Does Samaritans block callers?

^ oh shit, Don't tell me they've gone the same way as a lot of great organisations? Overtaking by a bunch of arrogant corporate fatcats?

Seeing that Twitter post linked. That person gets no social contact, Smaritans being their only listening ear. Get blocked. I think that's DISGUSTING!

RIGHT If they block people, it's time to set-up alternative help lines (or find the founding people and passionate volunteers who stick to the ORIGINAL MISSION).

I'd like to see the arrogant corporate bean counters in the same situation as the people they're supposed to serve. I can't think of anything more heartless than to deprive people of a listening ear when no friends and family are available. I hope the people behind the decision get found-out.

This is disgraceful.
Old 16th June 2022, 09:56

Mood
Cynical

^ There are alternative helplines, Saneline is one. https://www.sane.org.uk/how-we-help/...eline-services

You can find more info on our emergency help page. There's also charities like MIND.

Did your friend use The Samaritans text service?
Old 16th June 2022, 16:45

It's shocking to hear that the Samaritans are blocking callers. For some people phoning a Samaritan is the last port of call before taking their own life

I hope your friend is feeling a little better now Hollowone. She is very lucky to have someone like you that she can turn to for support.
Old 17th June 2022, 06:32

That sounds like they tried to think of a way of making it fair for as many people to reach them as they could.

Presumably they had a higher volume of calls and emails during the lock down periods of the pandemic - and not not enough volunteers to manage the high volume of callers? So they possibly thought to limit the number of calls to allow more people to get through.

There must have been some sort of reason for limiting it to x amount of calls e.g. they might have found that typically people call them x amount of times.

Must have been very difficult to come up with a solution to solve the high volume of calls and not enough volunteers to answer them. (Perhaps not the best solution though!)

You're absolutely right that they should state this on the website that due to the reduced number of volunteers we can only accept x amount of calls per person per day and list the other options available e.g. links to other suicide lines, info about their web chat and email service.

It's a difficult one because they don't want to put people off trying them.

Is your friend still unable to contact them? Are the restrictions the number of calls per day?
Old 17th June 2022, 09:52

Mood
Spaced

Hi hollowone, I have fibromyalgia so I know how your friend is feeling. To have the condition with anxiety/depression on top can really push you to your limit. It has done with me in the past too. One of the big things with fibro is feeling no-one understands, so support is extremely important.

I hope your friend finds some professional help to get her through soon, as is sounds vital at the moment. On top of that I would urge her to go back to see her GP who will offer the most appropriate help.

Also, does your friend ever go on forums like this to chat, as it can be a help?
Old 17th June 2022, 14:27

Mood
Breezy

My sister has Fibromyalgia
Old 17th June 2022, 16:21

Mood
Spaced

Has your sister had the condition long Percy?
Old 17th June 2022, 19:25

Mood
Breezy

A few years now. It flairs up every now and then.
Old 17th June 2022, 19:46

Mood
Spaced

Yes, the flare-ups are especially horrible and hard to handle. I wish your sister all the best Percy.
Old 17th June 2022, 20:27

Mood
Breezy

Thank you Hummingbird, i'll pass that on.
Old 17th June 2022, 20:46

Mood
Tired

Hi everyone and thanks for the replies. I hate to be the bearer of bad news.

Re Consolida

Yeah, she's absolutely fine now thanks, a quick chat, a catch-up & remembering the good old times at college plus a bit of reassurance that people do care. I pointed out that if she was to take her own life, or attempt to do so, it'll be devastating for her parents, myself, plus other two long term friends. I think the best you can do when someone is feeling like that is to show that people care.
Old 17th June 2022, 21:03

Mood
Tired

also @ biscuits

yeah, I get the rationale, lockdown was an unprecedented time for mental health and demand for service. I agree with what you suggest as a solution to the problem, stating that they'd be able to take so many calls a day, instead of blocking frequent callers. The advantage of that approach is that those people who're not in desperate need (as my friend has been) could postpone their call to a quieter time leaving more volunteers freed-up for those more urgent calls. Yeah, a solution I guess.
Old 17th June 2022, 21:28

^ It highlights the wider issues really as well. That a charity is having to carry such a huge responsibility - replacing professional psychological help that isn't available on the NHS

I signed up to volunteer for the The Samiritans, but couldn't cope with the idea of not being able to say the right thing. The volunteers are amazing.

You're a really good friend to your friend, hollowone I hope she's able to find the support to help her fall in love with life and living again.
Old 17th June 2022, 22:04

Mood
Tired

Yeah, you're right. It shows how incompetent the mental health services on the NHS are that charities have to take on such responsibilities. You're right, the volunteers are amazing, there's been times I've called when I was lonely and depressed, feeling hopeless and felt heaps better.

I've thought about volunteering with Samaritans myself in the past, but I don't think I'd handle every situation that comes my way nor relate to everything, that was my fear. In the case of my friend, I know her situation. She's also been my agony aunt too when I've felt lonely, isolated and stuck and I'm grateful. That's the least I can do. I don't have many friends, but the friends I do have, I'm grateful for.
Old 17th June 2022, 22:15

^
Old 18th June 2022, 09:58

Mood
Spaced

I agree, you sound like an amazing friend hollowone and your friend is lucky to have you.

I wish there were more like you out there!
Old 19th June 2022, 10:39

Mood
Spaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percy
Thank you Hummingbird, i'll pass that on.