SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 5th April 2007, 14:00

Default Been to the docs

Hi all,

I went to the doctor this morning to discuss SA with him. I only found out what it was last week and wanted to find out what help was available.

He was happy to give me a prescription for Seroxat there and then but I told him I'd prefer to explore other avenues before going down that route. I asked about CBT/GCBT but he told me that (a) I'd need to be suicidal before I'd be considered and (b) even then there's a ten-month waiting list.

He did offer me counselling at the surgery and also suggested self-help books and CD's.

For the situations where I get extremely anxious (interviews etc ) he's prescribed me beta-blockers.

What have your experiences been like? Oh, and has anyone tried counselling?

Neil
Old 5th April 2007, 14:15

Default Re: Been to the docs

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3Z
Hi all,
I asked about CBT/GCBT but he told me that (a) I'd need to be suicidal before I'd be considered
I'm no expert but that sounds like balls to me. The waiting list thing is definately an issue though. I happened to be lucky enough to ask about CBT just after a CBT practitioner had joined the surgery so I didn't have to wait.

I have experience of beta blockers - they'll help curb the physical symptoms of anxiety, i.e shaking, but they wont do diddly squat for the mental stuff.

I hope counselling works for you if you give it a go
Old 5th April 2007, 15:13

Mood
Brooding

I had the same thing - went to doc's last year and got prescribed Seroxat which I took for a week and felt utterly awful on.

He put me on the counselling waiting list but I haven't heard anything in a year. So I've not done anything apart from see a private therapist once who did NLP with me - and although I didn't think it worked, I reckon it must've had some effect subconsciously. DOn't go down the meds route - they're really strong powerful things for people who are about to top themselves and I certainly would never recommend them to anyone.

Good luck!!xx
Old 5th April 2007, 16:45
Moody Mare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part Crab
I'm no expert but that sounds like balls to me. The waiting list thing is definately an issue though. I happened to be lucky enough to ask about CBT just after a CBT practitioner had joined the surgery so I didn't have to wait.

I have experience of beta blockers - they'll help curb the physical symptoms of anxiety, i.e shaking, but they wont do diddly squat for the mental stuff.

I hope counselling works for you if you give it a go
I agree bollocks indeed. It annoys me when they fob you off like that due to waiting lists or emphasise that theres BIIIG LOOOONG waiting lists for CBT etc. I say they made me worse by chucking meds at me left right and centre when all I really prolly needed was someone who understood to talk to me and work through things before they escalated to the levels they are at now.

Least he advised on a few other alternatives as ive seen people report on these sites that they dont even get meds chucked at them just totally disregarded by a doc with no scooby about mental health problems.

Ive tried the basic councelling but they werent very good and didnt cut the surface, were happy to let you open up but did nothing to follow through and try helping you straighten things out in your head etc.

Some basic councelling has worked for them, you wont know till you try it I guess.
Closed Thread