SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > SAUK Community > Club 30-81
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 26th May 2016, 19:36

Red face Avoidant

I'm "avoidant" or I've been labelled as such.

As I'm avoidant I decided I've given too much info

I would like to find some like minded people ... I was here a bit years ago...

I'm just saying hi, hopefully I'll open up a bit more soon

Blue bear
Old 26th May 2016, 23:06

Mood
Cynical

Default Re: Avoidant

Welcome
Old 28th May 2016, 20:02

Mood
Brooding

I meet every criterion for Avoidant Personality Disorder. I think that is my disorder, rather than Social Anxiety.
Old 10th August 2019, 15:45

I still don’t like giving too much info.
Old 10th August 2019, 16:43

It’s rough Thanks for replying, biscuits.
Old 10th August 2019, 16:57

Yes, my SA has morphed into something more like an avoidant personalty disorder, my particular reasons for it are varied. I was always like this to a certain extend. This is a symptom of many disorders, but I'm hoping my treatment helps me see things a bit more positively.
Old 10th August 2019, 19:55

Thanks Utopia, let me know how the treatment goes
Old 10th August 2019, 20:41

I will go back to my cave...
Old 10th August 2019, 21:39

I have never been officially diagnosed, but I'm sure I have an avoidant personality disorder. The SA label never satisfied me. I always knew there was more going on. Now, I'd describe myself as having a shame-based avoidant personality disorder. Apparently, it often includes paranoia (tick) and co-dependency (tick).
Old 10th August 2019, 21:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moksha
I have never been officially diagnosed, but I'm sure I have an avoidant personality disorder. The SA label never satisfied me. I always knew there was more going on. Now, I'd describe myself as having a shame-based avoidant personality disorder. Apparently, it often includes paranoia (tick) and co-dependency (tick).
That does sound quite a bit like me ...
Old 10th August 2019, 22:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebear
That does sound quite a bit like me ...
If you research it in depth it's quite interesting. As I remember, there are 10 different personality disorders (narcissistic, histrionic, anti-social, etc etc) and they are separated into three groups, according to how closely related they are. The avoidant is bracketed along with the dependent and the obsessive-compulsive. Of course, no one is purely x or y. Often, we'll have a mix of two or three different ones. Apart from the dependent and obsessive PDs, the avoidant tend to be closest to the paranoid. I definitely tick the dependent and paranoid, though not so much the obsessive-compulsive.

Shame plays big part in this for me. I feel intense shame at my life and my past, so I avoid intimacy. But avoiding makes me ashamed, which increases the avoidance, and so on. Plus, of course, the more you avoid the worse the social anxiety gets.
Old 11th August 2019, 02:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moksha
If you research it in depth it's quite interesting. As I remember, there are 10 different personality disorders (narcissistic, histrionic, anti-social, etc etc) and they are separated into three groups, according to how closely related they are. The avoidant is bracketed along with the dependent and the obsessive-compulsive. Of course, no one is purely x or y. Often, we'll have a mix of two or three different ones. Apart from the dependent and obsessive PDs, the avoidant tend to be closest to the paranoid. I definitely tick the dependent and paranoid, though not so much the obsessive-compulsive.

Shame plays big part in this for me. I feel intense shame at my life and my past, so I avoid intimacy. But avoiding makes me ashamed, which increases the avoidance, and so on. Plus, of course, the more you avoid the worse the social anxiety gets.
I’ll have to do a bit more research on this. I suspect if I went to a professional and told them I’ve been diagnosed with this it might not help though, since I question the competency of the therapist who diagnosed me. Not that the diagnosis is necessarily wrong, but some of the therapy “methods” he used were very harmful to me.
Old 11th August 2019, 02:47

Avoiding intimacy because of shame.. some schools of therapy think that a person needs to tell their therapist all their thoughts and feelings for the therapy to be effective... I have had “toxic shame” since childhood, which I wasn’t fully aware of. No wonder the therapy didn’t proceed as quickly as the inexperienced therapist had wanted. I wasn’t really able to engage in the “intimate” and yet distant relationship he wanted. So he became frustrated and took that frustration and anger out on me. The level of his negativity towards me was so severe that I do think he was a Narcissist. He tired of the supply I was giving him and turned into a “bad parent” in the therapy. This isn’t a “phantasy” of mine, I remember the many negative things he said (and did) clearly
Old 11th August 2019, 20:43

Yeah, I haven't personally been diagnosed with avoidant personality disorder, but I have something similar to it. I don't think I would neatly fit into any particular one, I just have a collection of symptoms and avoidant is one of them, although in my case I do it because I haven't really had relationships that haven't ultimately ended in pain, so I do it to mostly insulate myself from this. I just expect people to judge me negatively. I'm really negative and critical of myself and others, but I wouldn't say it's low self esteem in my case -- I don't really care if people are critical of me -- but it can put me off them as people. I can never seem to please people anyway, so I just stopped caring. Whatever it is, it isn't normal or healthy, but I'm quite introverted anyway so I feel less motivated to mix with others that much.