Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > SAUK Community > Club 30-81
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 18th August 2012, 12:52

Mood
Spaced

Default Flashbulb Memories & Autobiographical memories

I find memories fascinating. I have an extremely strong autobiographical memory. My first memory is of being an infant and waking up in the cot I shared with my twin.
I went to New York when I was a teenager, it was my 1st holiday without my parents and I was so excited that even now I could describe that holiday in detail, right down to songs I heard on the radio, what I wore and ate and jokes my friends made.

It's said we have strong memories of such events because of photographs we have seen. I disagree because I have never seen a photograph of myself and sister sharing our cot, my mum confirmed the story when I was older. I did take many photographs in New York but that doesn't explain how I remember so many things I heard

Here's a link to a Stylist magazine article about Flashbulb memories, events we see on the news and recall vividly for many years later. http://www.stylist.co.uk/people/tany...ettable-events
I vividly recall where I was when I heard about the death of Princess Diana. I also remember where I was when I heard about 9/11 and 7/7 and the death of Michael Jackson.

So, does anyone have any vivid memories they would like to share? Or does anyone have any vivid memories that turned out to be incorrect - like the people adamant they have seen CCTV footage of news stories where none existed? I'd love to hear other people's early or vivid memories
Old 19th August 2012, 14:40

Mood
Spaced

Default Re: Flashbulb Memories & Autobiographical memories

Thanks for replying Forgetmenot, sorry to hear about your Dad.

Do you think you only have vivid recall of events that had an emotional context (flashbulb memories) or do you have any vivid memories from when you were growing up like I do?
Old 19th August 2012, 21:28

Mood
Spaced

Yes that's a good point Forgetmenot, having a good memory hasn't always been beneficial to me. A few years ago I was depressed and couldn't seem to stop dwelling on bad memories.

I do find it beneficial to be good a recalling past holidays though, when I have insomnia I find it clears my mind to recall days when I was relaxed and the weather was nice
Old 20th August 2012, 09:58

That's interesting. Although I have flashbulb memories, a lot of my memory actually feels blurry and vague. I think it's just because of chronic anxiety, so I'm preoccupied all the time and not taking in what's around me. But I find it discomforting because it often feels that my life didn't really happen. My life feels very vague and hazy and I do worry that I'm forgetting the faces of people who were special to me and that I don't really remember much detail about happy times in my life,just a blurry mirage.

But I do have the flashbulb memories! I have vivd memories of various things in my childhood starting from when I was about three years old. I remember being in a pushchair picking my brother up from school. I had really bad asthma so my mam used a pushchair to get me around all the way up to when I started school myself because I didn't have the puff to walk far.

I remember pooing in the bath when I was about three. Haha! My brother (also in the bath) screaming, my mam trying to calm him down, and me inquisitively watching it float by...

I remember crying in bed probably around the same age again and my brother hugging me to make me feel better. But now I think about it, I'm pretty sure I've seen a picture of that...so that could be one of the ones they mentioned in the magazine...

And of course I remember exactly how I found out about Diana and 9/11 but weirdly not 7/7. I have flashbulb memores around 7/7 but I don't remember how I heard the news.

I do wish I had a better memory though. I feel like my life never existed when I look back and it's just a blur.
Old 20th August 2012, 16:14

Mood
Spaced

Tryinghard, love the story about the poo in the bath! it's nice you have such vivid memories of your childhood and your brother comforting you when you cried is a sweet story.

I think you could be correct about anxiety affecting the memory. Just as depression makes us dwell on the sad stuff, anxiety makes you dwell a lot on your internal environment and mood rather than taking things in - which explains why my holiday memories (when I was relaxed and away from life's little problems) are vivid to me.