SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 3rd June 2013, 20:46

Default Good Laptops?

I'm currently researching for a new laptop, and was wondering if anyone on here had recommendations?

Ideally I would like something with enough memory to put iTunes on, and possibly enough to play games on. Other than that, I would only use it for Microsoft Office, Internet, and storing photos on.

Also, is is possible to buy a new laptop without Windows 8 on? I've only heard bad things about it and I don't like the look of it. Also not really sure I want to get a Mac, but i'm not ruling it out.

Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 20:46
Banned

Default Re: Good Laptops?

I have an Azus

it's a bit dodgy tbh. wouldn't recommend it.
Old 3rd June 2013, 20:51

Mood
Bookworm

How taxing are the games you want to play on it, and have you got a budget?

You will find it hard to buy new without Windows8, but don't let that put you off, its a really good OS once you do a couple of really simple tweaks (like get your 'Start' button back)
Old 3rd June 2013, 20:57
Banned

I got my laptop about 4 months ago with windows 7

i deliberately didnt want windows 8.

It was mildly difficult to find new laptops with windows 7 [there are definitely more windows 8 laptops about] but not all that difficult.

just use google
Old 3rd June 2013, 20:59

Getting a Mac that can play games is perfectly feasable: I've got a MacBook Pro with a Windows 8 partition and it handles Bioshock Infinite and Skyrim beautifully. I didn't buy it for games though, it's just a bonus that it can run them pretty well. If you want a laptop for general internet stuff and gaming it makes far more sense to go Windows.

Windows 8 is annoying at first, then you get used to it and it no longer bothers you.
Old 3rd June 2013, 22:29

Mood
Daring

Might get a good eal on summat with 4gb ram running windows 7 with a reasonable graphics card on ebay

If not unless you are playing games that need fast renderoing I expecta £299 laptop from ebuyer would do the job
Old 4th June 2013, 18:32

Thanks for the replies everyone!
Old 4th June 2013, 19:19

Mood
Daring

Here a few from CPC - ebuyer may have better prices but:
15.6 aspire core i5 with windows 8 - 8gb ram - £389
as above bu i7 processor - 8gb ram - 2gb nvida graphics - £569
packard bell all in one PC windows 7!!!!! - amd dual core, 4gb ramradeon graphics £299

They'll all send an email!
Old 4th June 2013, 21:56

Mood
Bored

The only way to get Windows 7 on a new machine these days is to buy refurb/old stock or buy a business-grade machine (where it's still an option). Basically, Microshaft wants to force the abomination that is Windows 8 on as many people as possible. Also if you get a machine with Windows 8 on it and want to install Windows 7 instead, make sure there's an option to disable Secure Boot (there SHOULD be an option, but some manufacturers purposely make it as difficult as they possibly can, in order to suck up to MS), otherwise you'll find yourself stuck trying to boot it.
Old 4th June 2013, 22:30

Mood
Gloomy

I've got a HP laptop i bought in January this year with Windows 7 - purposely avoided buying anything with Windows 8 on it - after my old laptop died, and i love it, excellent machine. Just don't buy anything with Dell written on it.
Old 4th June 2013, 23:37
Banned

I have an Asus A53S and really like it, it's a nice brown colour and very strong. I can tell because I've dropped it twice and it came with dents in the cover (slightly rough former owner?), but is lightning fast and works perfectly with windows 7 and has a very crisp display. I bought it used on eBay from Germany, getting a higher specification than for the same money spent on eBay UK. Swapping the keyboard for one without umlauts was only a five minute job. I think it was around EUR 300 or 400. Hope this helps!

Have also an Asus EeePad Slider which is beautifully made and had excellent sound/video watching.

Also should say that I'm not loyal to any brand, only to efficient ergonomic products. Another different Asus laptop might turn out to be a turnip!
Old 4th June 2013, 23:49
Banned at own request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiance
I have an Azus

it's a bit dodgy tbh. wouldn't recommend it.
Me too and it is dodgy, it's actually sometimes slower than my phone at browsing, but then its a budget Asus I have.
Old 11th June 2013, 18:24

Went in to Currys today to have a look, and they had a few around the £300 mark. I saw an HP one at a discounted price of £299 so i'm considering that. Its the HP Pavillion g6-2422sa, and has 6GB memory, 750GB hard drive, and AMD Radeon HD6340 graphics.

Is windows 8 really much worse? I was having a play on the showroom laptops in Currys, and on the windows 8 homepage, there was an icon 'desktop' which brought you on to a more 'normal' desktop like windows 7. Have Windows brought back the option of having a normal desktop option after so many people complained? If so I might feel better about having windows 8. Currys are also selling online 'refurbished' laptops on Windows 7.

Considering how indecisive I am, its going to take me ages to decide what laptop to buy lol.
Old 11th June 2013, 18:31

I don't mind Win8, I just avoid all the '8-ness' completely.
Old 11th June 2013, 18:37

Mood
Bored

The desktop mode has always been there, but the problem is that there's no start menu (clicking the start button takes you back into the Metro crap), all the normal tools have had their menu/toolbars replaced with messy ribbon crap, and there's a ton of default associations for stupid metro ‘apps’.

You can get it working somewhat like Win7 if you get some kind of third-party start menu tool, strip out all of the Metro crap (I bet it probably breaks a lot of things if you try to do that, though), get third-party replacements or patches for all the tools that have been ruined with the ribbon crap, and fix all of the file associations, but what's the point? Win7 already works fine out-of-the-box and will be supported for years to come (probably almost as long as Win8), and because you don't need to patch/replace loads of things to make it usable, there's no risk that future updates will break everything.
Old 11th June 2013, 19:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Prunes
The desktop mode has always been there, but the problem is that there's no start menu (clicking the start button takes you back into the Metro crap), all the normal tools have had their menu/toolbars replaced with messy ribbon crap, and there's a ton of default associations for stupid metro ***8216;apps***8217;.
Oh ok, that would be annoying.

I have been looking at Argos online, and i've found a new Toshiba C855 for £329.99 on Windows 7. 6GB memory and 750GB hard drive. Has plenty of good reviews as well. Thats also one I am considering getting.

Are Toshiba's a generally good make?
Old 11th June 2013, 21:47

Mood
Fine

I purchased a new laptop only 2 months ago. I went with a Samsung (700Z5C) who are more expensive than the average make, but i think it was worth it. The thing feels solid and reliable. It has windows 8 but i honestly do not for the life of me understand the criticisms it gets. To an average user like myself it still works absolutely fine and i would recommend it without any qualms.
Old 11th June 2013, 22:06

Mood
Fine

^ it does also look pretty!

I had 3 cheap ugly black ones before this. Makes for a stylish change, i'm still admiring it
Old 11th June 2013, 22:16
davehedgehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen_erased
Just don't buy anything with Dell written on it.
why not i've had my dell inspiron since 2005 and it's still going strong.
Old 15th June 2013, 17:35

Just to update, i've got round to buying one.

I chose a Toshiba C855, with 1TB hard drive and 6GB memory on Windows 7 for £299. It is a manufacturer refurbished version, so it should be just as good as a new laptop (I hope lol), for about £100 cheaper than a new one.

I didn't really want to buy online, but thats where I got the best deal. Now to rely on useless delivery companies to deliver it for me - I seem to have nothing but trouble from Royal Fail and other companies.

I got it off eBay, but the seller was actually Argos. For some reason I couldn't get that laptop from actually getting it directly from an Argos shop.
Old 16th June 2013, 15:57
Banned

^ Enjoy!

L
Old 16th June 2013, 17:23

Mood
Daring

i think you did well

i still have a dell laptop with windows 95 on it and it still boots and runs some multi media stuff we produced plus some old mpeg 1 video encodes!
Old 16th June 2013, 23:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindalino
^ Enjoy!

L
Thanks Its the first time i've chosen a computer myself. It looks like it will be a good laptop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aVoice2use
i think you did well

i still have a dell laptop with windows 95 on it and it still boots and runs some multi media stuff we produced plus some old mpeg 1 video encodes!
My computer at home is XP, and I think its about 10 years old now. It groans when you turn it on and looks like its going to fall apart lol.