SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 20th March 2022, 00:13

Default Noisy cars

Maybe this should be in the lounge or somewhere, but it does sort of relate to my SA. Frankly, I just need to rant.

So right now all I can hear is teenagers in noisy cars screeching past the end of my road. It is driving me mad. We live in the countryside, and they fly around the lanes all night long. Because it is a valley, the sound echoes. Even when they are two or three miles away, it sounds as if the car is right next to you. It’s just horrendous. How the hell is this legal? Surely they can’t be allowed to make this much noise? It’s insane. I have the TV turned up, and the windows closed, but the sound goes right through the house. I’ve even tried using earplugs, but it makes no difference. It is just relentless, for hours on end: a hideous, high-pitched screeching sound, followed by pop, pop, pop, bang, bang, bang. I saw about 20 of the little sh*ts in Sainsbury’s car park earlier, with their stupid little rollerskate cars, meeting in preparation for a night of driving round and round and round, waking everybody up and turning us all into nervous wrecks.
Old 20th March 2022, 00:40

Mood
Cynical

Default Re: Noisy cars

It doesn't sound like it is legal to me, they must be speeding and they're causing a noise disturbance.
Old 20th March 2022, 10:01

Yes, you should have a local councillor that you can contact by phone or email. They live for this sort of thing and have connections with the police and will want to sort it out.

You can find out who your local councillor is here:

https://www.gov.uk/find-your-local-councillors

It also might be worth looking on your local Facebook group as people are bound to complain on there too - just to see if anything is in motion.
Old 20th March 2022, 20:21

Mood
Alienated

^ yes good advice biscuits. That’s what I would advise doing too.

There seems to be a lot of lawlessness on the roads and little being done about it. I’ve noticed it a lot more since becoming a driver. The loud cars driven my anti-social idiots as said by Orwell20, the darkened number plates to avoid speed cameras, loads of people using mobile phones, speed limits being treated as advisory, and just downright dangerous driving.
Old 29th March 2022, 20:03

Mood
Fine

Oh, yes its a long running problem where I live, and in recent years those ridiculous 'popping, banging and hissing' cars have become a thing too.

The noise isnt too bad at the moment, but will no doubt become a bigger problem when it gets warmer (as is always the case historically). The 2 biggest Police stations in Northern Scotland are only 5 minutes walk away but they never do anything about it either.

Seems these halfwits can do more or less as they like, and that the crime of 'Breach Of The Peace' doesnt apply to cars. (or perhaps that the police refuse to enforce it anyways).
Old 29th March 2022, 22:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilm
Oh, yes its a long running problem where I live, and in recent years those ridiculous 'popping, banging and hissing' cars have become a thing too.

The noise isnt too bad at the moment, but will no doubt become a bigger problem when it gets warmer (as is always the case historically). The 2 biggest Police stations in Northern Scotland are only 5 minutes walk away but they never do anything about it either.

Seems these halfwits can do more or less as they like, and that the crime of 'Breach Of The Peace' doesnt apply to cars. (or perhaps that the police refuse to enforce it anyways).
God, it really pi**es me off when the police do nothing about this kind of thing. The little idiots then get cocky and feel beyond the law. Agree about the heat. We had problems last summer. Plus, of course, in the summer you have to have the windows open and can hear them more clearly.

There is a law about engine noise. It’s not supposed to be above a certain level. Obviously lots of people ignore that. They must drive past police cars with these ridiculous, souped up, popping engines, and the police just let it go. Ugghhh
Old 29th March 2022, 23:07

Neil, I'm surprised you haven't got anyone bugging the council to do something about it. The council guy here is really proactive. They will perhaps be more of a help than the police.

Let's hope they grow out of the phase, so you can have some uninterrupted sleep!

How long has it been going on for?
Old 30th March 2022, 09:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moksha
God, it really pi**es me off when the police do nothing about this kind of thing. The little idiots then get cocky and feel beyond the law. Agree about the heat. We had problems last summer. Plus, of course, in the summer you have to have the windows open and can hear them more clearly.

There is a law about engine noise. It’s not supposed to be above a certain level. Obviously lots of people ignore that. They must drive past police cars with these ridiculous, souped up, popping engines, and the police just let it go. Ugghhh
I've been driving for six months now and have literally only ever seen one police car on the road during that time. I suppose people get what they vote for.
Old 30th March 2022, 10:22

Mood
Cynical

^ True, the police hardly have enough time and staff to follow up on serious crimes, I'm sure noise disturbance gets pushed way down the list of priorities.
Old 30th March 2022, 20:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen.
I've been driving for six months now and have literally only ever seen one police car on the road during that time. I suppose people get what they vote for.
I see them all the time around here and also in Northampton.

Totally agree that these souped-up chavmobiles need to put a sock in it. Very selfish and very "loooook at meeee!!!!" behaviour. Hopefully they'll soon grow out of it.
Old 30th March 2022, 21:11

Mood
Tired

We get these cars round my way,..
There's a road going out across the local moors that has been repurposed for dual use by adding a prominent cycle lane and reducing cars to a single middle lane,
It was busy years ago, but is now very quiet due to a local bypass being built,

Of course,...you've guessed it,...this is now often used as an unofficial race track for some local petrol heads,

This is a kind of posh area, so it's often quite high-performance cars zipping up and down this road, spoilt brats out posing in daddy's car probably.

There's a few country walks around here that are popular with locals that take you along this road.

A few years ago I was out a walk with my sister and my niece, .
My sister is a bit feisty and doesn't suffer fools gladly,.
One of these rich-boy poseurs was driving past in a convertible sports car, but driving very deliberately slowly,... ( to be noticed/admired, I presume?)
as he slowly passed my sister, she started loudly signing,.
"I want to take you to a gay bar, a gay bar" ...
It was hilarious,
he sped off, rather unimpressed.
Old 30th March 2022, 21:17

^

Besides, gay bars have their uses, even if you're not "schwul". I picked up a tasty Asian lady at one in Berlin and she came to live with me over the summer. Ah, the joys of being young. These days, you have a birthday, and your colleagues guess you're "50". Thanks, guys.
Old 9th May 2022, 21:53

There seems to have been an increase in twats with modified exhausts. Or is it just where I live? It's getting warmer now, so I've started going for walks in the evening and leaving the windows open at night. These selfish little prats are really getting on my nerves. Forget enjoying the silence and birdsong. No matter where I go I can hear them in the distance. I can hear them right now in fact. I even hear them at 3 in the morning – sometimes they wake me up. Why aren't more people complaining? I just went on the Essex council website and the ****ing thing is frozen.

Apparently, your car isn't allowed to go above 74 decibels, which is roughly the volume of a flushing toilet. Well I can hear two little c**nts right now screaming up and down the road 2 miles from me. It's a hideous, screeching sound that goes right through the house. If 74 decibels is a flushing toilet, they must be well over 100. And who the hell is fitting these exhausts? If it's illegal, the garages must know they are breaking the law. Maybe the police have given up.
Old 9th May 2022, 23:11

Mood
Cynical

^ They're probably getting a load of complaints about noisy cars, the council I mean.
Old 10th May 2022, 10:16

Those having issues, write what you've written in this thread to your MP and urge them to put your area up for this...

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...e-cameras.html

Old 10th May 2022, 13:55

I like hearing noisy exhausts on chavved up cars. It means the tories haven't quite taken everyone's cash just yet and people have still got enough money spare to waste it on noisy exhausts and fuel.

The day when you see no cars on the road and no one outside is the day to worry.

I ride a motorbike(quiet exhaust) I've noticed lately if I go for a ride there's barely any other motorbikes on the roads. Must be a sign that people don't have the expendable income any more.

Yes noisy cars can be annoying but it could be worse Putin could be blowing us up like the poor people in Ukraine.
Old 10th May 2022, 18:51

This thread has been quite enlightening. I had always thought that there was someone in my neighbourhood driving around in a really damaged car. Now I know that they probably made their car sound like that on purpose. I still can't understand why though.
Old 10th May 2022, 19:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFG_
I like hearing noisy exhausts on chavved up cars. It means the tories haven't quite taken everyone's cash just yet and people have still got enough money spare to waste it on noisy exhausts and fuel.

The day when you see no cars on the road and no one outside is the day to worry.
exhausterity
Old 14th May 2022, 17:49
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The*Crafty*Elf
I really sympathise with you Orwell, you need to report this to the Council every time it happens. Times, dates etc. Tell them how it is affecting your every day life and if you can get your neighbours to also do the same that would really help. It might take some time but you seriously need to report it Every time it happens.
Agree!
Old 14th May 2022, 17:52
Banned

The one good thing about self driving cars is you wouldn't get this type of thing!
The little sh*ts wouldn't know what to do with themselves hahaha
Old 14th May 2022, 19:52

I think some of them genuinely like upsetting people. I can hear one right now. I wanted to go and sit in the garden and listen to the birds. Fat chance. Instead, all I will hear is the screeching and banging of their exhausts. I just don't know how they are allowed to get away with it.
Old 17th May 2022, 20:19

Quote:
I think some of them genuinely like upsetting people. I can hear one right now. I wanted to go and sit in the garden and listen to the birds. Fat chance. Instead, all I will hear is the screeching and banging of their exhausts. I just don't know how they are allowed to get away with it.
Its a shame its not legal to own one of those Javelin Anti Tank Missile Launchers that are in use in Ukraine just now.

That would be a highly effective way of dealing with these noisy knobheads

A little harsh perhaps (but only a little)....
Old 17th May 2022, 21:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by far north
Its a shame its not legal to own one of those Javelin Anti Tank Missile Launchers that are in use in Ukraine just now.

That would be a highly effective way of dealing with these noisy knobheads

A little harsh perhaps (but only a little)....
No...not too harsh, too generous!!

One of the little c****s woke me up at 3am last night. Also, I went for a jog at the weekend and one of them passed me with an exhaust that sounded like a goddam machine gun. As they went by, the passenger shouted something out of the window. I couldn't hear what he said, but no doubt it was brilliantly witty and clever – probably something like "waankaa" or "f*** you". What I wouldn't have given to see him swerve across the road into a tree, or preferably over the edge of a mountain.
Old 17th May 2022, 21:55

^^ I might try that crafty elf. I am sitting here with the windows closed, but I can hear one of the ****s, who is at least a mile away, screaming up and down a country road near me. Every time he accelerates, the sound goes right through the house. And that's from nearly a mile away!! I've said it before, but HOW THE F*** DO THEY GET AWAY WITH IT? Are other people deaf? Or am I just hyper-sensitive to noise?
Old 17th May 2022, 22:59

Mood
Fine

Quote:
^^ I might try that crafty elf. I am sitting here with the windows closed, but I can hear one of the ****s, who is at least a mile away, screaming up and down a country road near me. Every time he accelerates, the sound goes right through the house. And that's from nearly a mile away!! I've said it before, but HOW THE F*** DO THEY GET AWAY WITH IT? Are other people deaf? Or am I just hyper-sensitive to noise?
Nah, they annoy lots of people, Moshka.

For some reason the police seem loath to do anything about it, why I dont know
Old 17th May 2022, 23:24

Mood
Cynical

^ Well......if they had places like race tracks that they could go and drive fast and noisily without bothering anyone that might be a good solution.
Old 18th May 2022, 09:57

Mood
Cynical

^ I thought so, so it's not affordable for most young people.
Old 18th May 2022, 20:20

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Devil, Probably.
On the other hand, loud exhausts have an obvious appeal and although we may long to see the drivers hanging from a tree - I think the same, in my thinking chair, at the noisy and humdrum world outside - the chances are the youngsters are bored, aimless and with not much excitement to speak of. What are young and uneducatable men meant to do with their excess testosterone? "It's not their fault" this country is an overcrowded shithole in which even a sneaky fart, in seeming seclusion, is going to inadvertently poison a whole neighbourhood.

I'm all for executing them one by one, but I'm not going to get all high and mighty about it. There's nothing wrong with liking loud vehicles and feeling driven to thrash a car down country lanes. What are poorly educated chavs meant to do - sit indoors reading the classics?
Plenty of empty Industrial estates (at night) these characters could drive round without bothering any residents (given there arnt any in such areas). Wouldnt cost them a brass farthing to do so.

Dont know about anywhere else, but where I live, many of these individuals are driving pretty expensive looking cars too, and some of them dont look particularly young either. Not exactly the woe - begotten wretches youre implying

When youve been subjected to the noise of these prats for the last 10 -15 years, any sympathy for their 'right to make lots of noise' tends to be somewhat limited...
Old 18th May 2022, 20:29

Mood
Cynical

^ Yeah, some of the loudest cars are the ones that are sporty and expensive looking and also blaring music loudly. I tend to think they're just wanting attention so if I hear one like that when I'm out I deliberately don't look at them
Old 18th May 2022, 21:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilm
Dont know about anywhere else, but where I live, many of these individuals are driving pretty expensive looking cars too, and some of them dont look particularly young either. Not exactly the woe - begotten wretches youre implying
Yes, so true. I've noticed that as well. It's pathetic and infuriating when a 19-year-old drives around in them, but when they're 40!!...ugh, god.

I'd like to know what is going on – I mean psychologically. I understand someone saving their money and buying a nice car. Cars are not my thing, but if that's what you love, well, fine. But what pleasure do they get from making this hideous noise? The average person wouldn't enjoy it. On the contrary, people often take their cars to the garage because some squeaking or clicking sound is getting on their nerves. It must be a mixture of attention-seeking and a sadistic thrill at upsetting and annoying people. Or is it a weird kind of revenge? You know – I work all week in a low status job, I get no respect, I'm bullied by my boss, etc, and now it's my turn to dominate.