SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you on the autism spectrum?
Yes I was diagnosed as an adult. 11 22.45%
Yes I was diagnosed in childhood. 1 2.04%
I suspect I may be. 22 44.90%
No, I am not autistic. 15 30.61%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 10th August 2022, 19:47

Mood
Cynical

Default Are you Autistic?

Are you on the autism spectrum (or suspected of being)?

I've noticed that there have been quite a few members over the last few years here who have been diagnosed in adulthood as autistic.
So I thought it might be interesting to see how many there are.
Old 10th August 2022, 19:57

Mood
Tired

Default Re: Are you Autistic?

I've been told by other people who work with autistic children that, yes, I am definitely 'on the spectrum '
They seemed to see definite signs in my behaviour that indicated to them that I was autistic.
But I'm really just being "me"

But, I've never actually gone for a diagnosis, I'm not sure it'd be helpful for me, it might even make me regress a bit?

Looking back at my early behaviour as a child, it's pretty definite,

But, in later years I seem to have adapted and managed to fit in, in a funny sort of way.

I still find eye contact extremely difficult though,

When I'm in a social situation I often find myself looking at patterns in the room, geometric patterns, lines, rectangles,.. anything but the people there,..
I find people are still quite difficult to encounter somehow.
Old 10th August 2022, 20:00

Mood
Cynical

^ That's interesting. Have you ever felt like you might want to go through the formal diagnosis process, or do you feel like it's not needed at this point?
Old 10th August 2022, 21:04

Mood
Tired

^
Looking back at my early childhood behaviours, ..in hindsight, its 100% certain that I had strong autistic traits,

Now,.. I'm not sure it would be 100%, but I have become adept at managing to get along in most situations,

I have suffered somewhat in the past with being pigeonholed as being odd or different somehow,
So, getting a positive diagnosis would probably just reinforce that stigma,
I also might see it as a green light to regressing a bit to past behaviours like stimming,

I am what I am,.. there's good and bad to being on the spectrum, ..
Thankfully, I think I'm functioning quite well, despite it.

Thanks for asking Dougella,
Old 10th August 2022, 22:01

Yes diagnosed a couple of years ago via nhs I'm now 43. Makes no difference to me but is highly useful for winding my managers up. My list of workplace reasonable adjustments is an A4 page long.

Oddly the only time I think I've experienced neurotypical emotions was when I used voltarol for a painful foot it was like I'd gone from being vulcan to human. Totally rubbish.

Often wondered why medication isn't labeled with neurotypical side effects and neurodiverse as there's no way our brains process medication the same way..
Old 10th August 2022, 22:17

Mood
Breezy

Yes diagnosed a couple of years ago.
Old 10th August 2022, 23:09

Mood
Cynical

^^ I have heard that neurodiverse people can react differently to medications, but I'd not heard that it could effect people emotionally so much! You didn't find the experience enjoyable then BFG?
Old 11th August 2022, 07:18

^nope no idea how people function with all that emotion rubbish going on in their heads. I'll stick to being spock thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 08:44

Mood
Melancholy

I was diagnosed at the grand old age of 38, several years ago. Still haven’t managed to get the help I need, it’s difficult to find support, especially when you hit your 40s. Private therapists who understand Autism are few and far between and are too expensive.
Old 11th August 2022, 11:28

I was diagnosed at 45.
Old 11th August 2022, 15:33

I haven't been diagnosed with autism, but I think I might be borderline. I don't think a formal diagnosis would be helpful to me now.
Old 13th August 2022, 13:09

Mood
Cynical

^ I do understand why for some people the knowledge that they most likely are autistic is enough and they don't feel the need to go through the formal assessment process. It's never too late though, people are being diagnosed in their 70s and even older.
Old 13th August 2022, 19:28

Mood
Fine

Pretty sure Ime not from what I can make out. I do have one or two of the traits (struggling with eye contact for example), but I dont think Id be classed as autistic at all if tested.
Old 13th August 2022, 20:47

ADHD is the buzzword these days. Men and women are diagnosing themselves with it everywhere.

There's probably a synergy between forum use and autism. It's the craving of a familiar structure to input your whole thoughts, feelings, life into.
Old 14th August 2022, 13:31

Mood
Cynical

^ People have to go through an assessment process for ADHD (if they want an official diagnosis) so I don't think it's very fair to say people are just diagnosing themselves with it. A lot of people with it were missed during childhood because of there being less knowledge about it and also girls often weren't diagnosed. Very similar to ASD.
Old 14th August 2022, 13:57

Ok check this woman out: https://www.youtube.com/c/HowtoADHD

1.25 Million subscribers.
Old 14th August 2022, 14:02

Mood
Cynical

^ Yes, there's much more discussion about it because like I said a lot of people were missed during childhood. That doesn't mean that all these people are just making up the fact that they might have it and some of those subscribers will be people who have a child diagnosed with ADHD or they're interested because of th field they work in.
Old 14th August 2022, 15:21

Mood
Cynical

^ Is Schizoid personality disorder a neurodivergance though, I don't think it is as it's a condition that's developed later on due to environment and experiences? (As I understand it.) Would that condition not be more under the category of serious mental illness? I do agree that those types of conditions get very little attention though.
Old 14th August 2022, 15:53

Mood
Tired

I'm currently on (1 year) waitlist to have an Autism diagnosis, mainly asked for it to be done so I could have some peace of mind for knowing there's a reason behind how I act and gain some extra understanding.

As I don't believe getting officially diagnosed offers much support or anything unless you have severe autism.
Old 18th August 2022, 23:17

Maybe.

The odd thing about the neurodivergence though is that I always assumed that if I just worked harder and and could get things to come together then one day I could reach some semblance of normality. (An ongoing theme??) And then life could properly begin. And realising that, no, this is it. It may be possible to improve one's functioning by various methods, but brute force is not the way, and normality will never be reached.
Old 18th August 2022, 23:20

Mood
Cynical

^ It does take somewhat of a change of mindset doesn't it.
Old 18th August 2022, 23:23

Yes. It would have been useful to realise this earlier, but better than even older. I was about 35 and thinking I wasn't really that much more together than a 16 year old in terms of getting stuff done. More emotionally mature, sure, but not there.
Old 20th August 2022, 18:15

Mood
Balanced

I'm currently on a waiting list to be assessed after finally coming to the conclusion that I don't believe that all my difficulties I experience in life are solely down to social anxiety.

I have been interested in whether there is a fine line between social anxiety and autism diagnosis and whether many with social anxiety go on to also be diagnosed with autism.
Old 20th August 2022, 19:12

Mood
Cynical

^ As you can see there are many members here who have been assessed and diagnosed as autistic in adulthood, or suspect that they may be autistic. It is very interesting.
Old 21st August 2022, 12:50

I'm not sure what autism is anymore.

I used to think, definitely those people at my local SA meetup, who enthusiastically bombard me with facts about dinosaurs or ocean liners and don't seem to be interested in anything else are autistic.
But since visiting SAUK, I've learnt that the most empathetic, creative and imaginative people (people I admire and have helped me) are also autistic.

So I'm confused. What defines autism, other than finding social situations very difficult and sensory hyper-sensitivity?

I used to think I might be autistic based on the fact that I have always felt different and odd, have an obsession with learning etiquette in the hope to fit in and that I easily feel overwhelmed with new settings and new people. But that can equally be a result of childhood trauma from being a first generation immigrant and experience of racism. So I don't know. I'd love to go for an assessment to be sure though.

Last edited by Clumsy*; 21st August 2022 at 13:22. Reason: Replaced "at loss" with "confused" because it might be too strong. Not a native English speaker + overthinking. Sorry!
Old 21st August 2022, 13:17

Mood
Cynical

^ There is a clear diagnosis process and criteria to meet the diagnosis, it's just that there is more awareness now that autistic people don't just fit one very narrow stereotype. (It's been very interested to me over the past few years finding out about this too.)

It's never been the case that autistic people didn't have empathy, infact some autistic people are hyper empathetic, it's just that they didn't necessarily express it in ways that were obvious to neurotypical people.

There was a good video I watched on the exact criteria for autism, I'll see if I can find it.

I agree there are many really great, creative, imaginative, caring people here who are autistic!
Old 21st August 2022, 13:38

Mood
Cynical

This is a good video (by a woman who is diagnosed autistic and also studied and researches autism) about the autism criteria and how it doesn't always look the same.

Old 21st August 2022, 13:41

^Thanks Dougella, I'll definitely watch this when I get a bit of time
Old 22nd August 2022, 15:52

Mood
Balanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougella
^ As you can see there are many members here who have been assessed and diagnosed as autistic in adulthood, or suspect that they may be autistic. It is very interesting.
It is very interesting. It seems that socially anxious people can also exhibit several autistic traits as well (which is my experience). Therefore, yeah it seems many of us are now trying to join the dots together by asking the question and seeking a diagnosis.

It will just be a case of whether I meet enough of the criteria to receive a diagnosis now.
Old 22nd August 2022, 16:01

Mood
Balanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougella
^ There is a clear diagnosis process and criteria to meet the diagnosis, it's just that there is more awareness now that autistic people don't just fit one very narrow stereotype. (It's been very interested to me over the past few years finding out about this too.)

It's never been the case that autistic people didn't have empathy, infact some autistic people are hyper empathetic, it's just that they didn't necessarily express it in ways that were obvious to neurotypical people.

There was a good video I watched on the exact criteria for autism, I'll see if I can find it.

I agree there are many really great, creative, imaginative, caring people here who are autistic!
Just on your point about empathy, I would say I experience empathy. I definitely have empathy for people I have developed an attachment to (family and at least one close friend). The empathy I experience there is ridiculously strong. To the point where any little thing that goes wrong for them I take it very much to heart myself.

There is a clear difference then for other people. I'm less empathetic to those I haven't got a strong emotional attachment to.

It's just interesting just how it can vary from one person to the next. I have always liked the line...

When you meet one person with autism, you've met one autistic person (or something along those lines). It's very true.