Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > SAUK Community > Club 30-81
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 5th April 2011, 00:12

Mood
Mellow

Default contact

I find it difficult to make contact with people.

I am always afraid of rejection even over the internet.
Ive got a facebook profile but i havent got any friends.

Im planning on moving to a new place soon and i have been trying to make contact with people in this new place,but im still finding it difficult.Ive posted on a few other forums asking to meet people and nobody has replied.

Do's anyone else on here find it difficult to make new contacts and how do other people make contact with people?

Maybe ill just try and meet people after i move.
Old 5th April 2011, 10:19

Default Re: contact

Have you thought about going to the meet-ups?
Old 5th April 2011, 13:41

Mood
Thinking

Hello mate. Where do you live? If you happen to live in the North West, Manchester area there is a cinema meet. I think the next one will be on the 24th. It's on this site.
Regards,

Paul
Old 26th May 2011, 22:39

Mood
Alienated

I deleted my FB, i didn't like the idea of talking to someone when everybody else was listening at the click of a button.
It's different on various forums 'cos you are not really you, you hide behind a made up name.
Old 27th May 2011, 03:21

Mood
Mellow

I find this really difficult. When I first joined here I got a few friendship requests and that gave me confidence to make a few myself. But I have never met up with anyone as I can't cope being around more than a handful of people so meets are too much for me. But I have deliberately specified my location on here so if anyone does live nearby then maybe one day some one might want to meet for a coffee they can contact me.

Last year I created a facebook account as one of the local groups I am involved in organised all their events through there. And I found a lot of local charities did too so I now get invites to various charity events and can accept or decline easily. Obviously I haven't done loads cos of the SA but I have done a charity walk, been to a concert a bbq and quiz night all organised by 3 different groups. My local newspapers also have facebook pages advertising local events. If you put your local area into the search engine in facebook you should find lots of sites like that.

Good luck.
Old 27th May 2011, 10:25

Hi thequietone, I moved to a new area a few years ago too so can understand how you feel. I moved with my partner so im not completely on my own but i do feel a bit isolated at times. There are some positives too, being able to walk round town incognito, knowing friends/in laws wont turn up at the house unnanounced etc.
Along with the other suggestions you could try the local MIND group and see if they run an anxiety group in your area. Youre not moving to Plymouth by any chance are ya?!
Old 27th May 2011, 14:24

Mood
Insomnious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thequietone143

Im planning on moving to a new place soon and i have been trying to make contact with people in this new place,but im still finding it difficult.Ive posted on a few other forums asking to meet people and nobody has replied.

Do's anyone else on here find it difficult to make new contacts and how do other people make contact with people?

I fear rejection a lot also. It's a painful thing but one made more painful by procrastinating in my head about it and what it means and dealing with the impact it has on my own self image. I've put myself out there over time whereby I've been rejected () and accepted (). It's helped me get closer to the reality that although I am not everyones cup of tea, I am some and some is better than none (which I would have had if I'd just done nothing). So my theory is I keep on trying and continue (learning as I go along) to see if I can crawl closer to the acceptance of not being everyone's cup of tea (regardless of how much I would love to be). Along the way, try to better work out what rejections actually means in reality and to myself. & hope that it works towards improving the deficits I have in my own self confidence.

One thing I think of is that you've certainly not been rejected here and that's got to be a positive sign
Old 30th May 2011, 09:42

Quote:
That's my main reason for not having fb, I am embarrassed by the fact that I'm a no-mates and I think having fb would just draw attention to it, so I just pretend to family that I can't be bothered with it. I can see that it would be useful though. I've met people through meetup and got on ok with it but have let that slip recently as I've been prioritising other stuff in my free time. I've been to a couple of meets on here and also met a few people individually, which have been positive experiences and something I hope to do more of in the future.
Feel free to pm me if you'd like to meet up anywhere within reasonable distance of Gloucester (same goes for anyone else reading this).
Old 30th May 2011, 16:53

Mood
Sluggish

Quote:

Hi quietone.

I joined this site recently and am begining to find my way round it. I do fear rejection it can be very painful, particularly when you think others may not like you and rejection 'appears' to confirm your fears.

I'm already worrying whether or not people on here have formed any sort of opinion of me or not.

At work recently ive made more friends as I've been working on my confidence and I seem to have opened up more and I am better able to make conversation.

Good luck with it and keep at it. Its easy to give up when its something you're very sensitive about.
Old 31st May 2011, 01:05

Mood
Insomnious

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredwithanxiety
I'm already worrying whether or not people on here have formed any sort of opinion of me or not.
Yeah, that you're cool.
Old 31st May 2011, 18:45

Mood
Sluggish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geminus
Yeah, that you're cool.
Thanks Geminus You're like the 'sauk sage'
Old 31st May 2011, 20:05

Mood
Insomnious