Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 22nd May 2022, 15:36

Mood
Cynical

Default Health and fitness!

What does everyone do in terms of exercise? Are you trying anything new recently?
Old 22nd May 2022, 16:31
Banned at own request

Default Re: Health and fitness!

I row for 60 minutes a day on level 16, I really enjoy it. I also have a smart watch where I can record data such as water intake ect. I may also do some weights occasionally.
Old 22nd May 2022, 16:35

Mood
Cynical

^ Wow that's a lot, do you listen to music or anything while you do it?
Old 22nd May 2022, 16:41
Banned at own request

I listen to Capital Fm, I find if you listen to music while you train it helps to keep focused.
Old 22nd May 2022, 17:09
Global Moderator

Mood
Scared

I like to think that my work keeps me reasonably fit.
That said I'm nowhere near as fit or energetic as I was 10 years ago.
I think that if I did actually try doing some proper exercise my ticker would probably explode.
Old 22nd May 2022, 18:44

^ And stumble to the kitchen?
Old 22nd May 2022, 19:17

Mood
Cynical

^ I won't ask, but whatever gets you out of bed
Old 22nd May 2022, 19:23

Aww you were meant to say, pour yourself a cup of ambition
Old 22nd May 2022, 20:05

I don’t exercise too much. But I follow a home calisthenics workout for newbies. I use to do it everyday as it was simple but found myself getting exhausted and pain from dips so went to doing it every few days.

I find it hard to balance work, interests and exercise. I would like to exercise more and look more toned though, that sounds fake. I’ve gained some weight since last year but don’t look much fatter which is good. My work involves moving around lifting tables and sometimes heavy boxes so it won’t make me fat.
Old 23rd May 2022, 08:48

Two 60-90 minute walks per day, though two or three times a week the morning walk is replaced by a 20 minute run to the gym, 30 minute gym class, then a 20 minute run home. I started playing badminton last year and go one evening a week now, I really enjoy it, it's just playing for fun and not competitive in any way. I don't like the gym besides the classes, just so much easier having someone telling you what to do and for how long than thinking of that stuff yourself.

I used to go ice skating regularly, but since I stopped because of the pandemic I've never really felt any desire to return It just looks so busy now. Presumably they're trying to make their lost earnings back, but a lot of the time it felt too busy when I did go so I just know now that I'd hate it.
Old 23rd May 2022, 09:42

Mood
Lucky

I walk over 12,000 steps a day according to my fitbit, just from general walking around. Occasionally I'll go for a walk in the evening for about 30 to 45 minutes which will add extra steps.

I do weights in the gym 3 to 4 times a week, for about an hour each time. Sometimes I'll go 5 times I'f I'm lucky.

I've just stared running again after not doing it since the gyms opened but I'm very slow now.

I do a bit of mobility stuff in the evenings and on days I don't go to the gym. As I get older recovery feels more important than it used to.

I'd go to the gym every day if I could. But I go in the morning, and at least once or twice a week I'll have a really bad night's sleep and feel like crap when I wake up so I don't feel like going to the gym when I wake. Due to that, I follow a 4 days a week program (that I know I can do each week), rather than be optimistic and follow a 6 days a week one (that I probably won't manage to follow).

My other gym closed and moved during lockdown but if another one opened here I'd probably go to that again a few times a week, which would mean I'd have to adjust the stuff I'm doing now. Even though I miss it, I'm a bit relieved it closed as it was very hard and most of the time I prefer training on my own, although it was an easy social activity.

As for food, I try and get 200 grams of protein a day, and at the moment I'm in a calorie deficit to get a bit leaner so the running is a bit easier. It's quite hard mentally though as the more you eat the stronger you get, which is nice as it's a type of progress that's easy to measure and see. But the less you eat, the weaker you get, or at the least you get stronger slower, so you have to try and adjust your expectations and accept that you're eating less to lose weight and not worry about strength. I try to avoid eating obviously unhealthy stuff but aren't following any particular diet, although I don't eat land meat.
Old 23rd May 2022, 10:15

Mood
Cynical

^ 200 grams of protein a day, what do you eat for protein?!
Old 23rd May 2022, 10:41

Doesn't that amount of protein make your kidneys and liver pack in?
Old 23rd May 2022, 10:49

Mood
Cynical

^ I was thinking is it healthy to have quite that much. I know it's not unusual for people to have 100g a day but it is possible to have too much, isn't it?
Old 23rd May 2022, 11:58
Banned at own request

I'm looking for way's to include more protein in my diet, can anyone recommend anything?
Old 23rd May 2022, 12:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougella
^ I was thinking is it healthy to have quite that much. I know it's not unusual for people to have 100g a day but it is possible to have too much, isn't it?
Might it depend on how much fat and carbs the person has as they seem to interact with each other?
Old 23rd May 2022, 12:57

Mood
Cynical

^ Oh yes I'm sure it would.
Old 23rd May 2022, 13:02

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietman
I'm looking for way's to include more protein in my diet, can anyone recommend anything?
There are different types of protein powders you can get, you could try something like that. I know people put them in smoothies and shakes.
Old 23rd May 2022, 14:47
Banned at own request

I’ve tried some protein powder before, but I like to eat it naturally in general meal intake, I love things like tuna, peas ect.
Old 23rd May 2022, 14:58

Mood
Cynical

^ Fish and peas are good sources of protein. So are eggs, beans, meat obviously, nuts and seeds and dairy products. (I'm not a dietitian or anything, this is just what I've read!)
Old 23rd May 2022, 15:03

Mood
Lucky

I usually have Quorn and other meat substitutes as they are quite high in protein (compared to what else is in them), but they're highly processed so probably not ideal. I think Quorn is banned in some countries. TVP is very cheap and high in protein if you're into that sort of thing.

Some things that are cheap, high in protein and low in calories and other macros are tuna, egg whites, cottage cheese and quark. There are quite a few high protein yogurts now that are about 20g of protein and low in other stuff and are based on quark (I think). Obviously chicken and beef are probably the best overall (price/quality protein ratio), if you eat meat. Then there's all the beans and stuff like that...but they tend to be higher in calories and fats and/or carbs so it's going to be hard to get enough protein without going high in other areas.

If you're having meat protein then you can get away with less as its better than non-meat protein. But I feel bad for the animals so I don't really eat it. I'm not that bothered about fish.

I have shakes too and stuff like that.

The studies I've seen say there's no evidence it has a negative impact on kidney health. Maybe at very high levels? 200 isn't particularly high so I think it's OK. There are mixed results from the studies for sure, but nothing conclusive either way. They're mostly observational too so they don't really draw any firm conclusions. If you've already got kidney disease then it's not recommended.
Old 23rd May 2022, 15:49
Banned at own request

Tonkin do you have days off too, where you can eat chocolate or anything you want, also how do you manage your sugar cravings?
Old 23rd May 2022, 18:47

Quote:
Are you vegetarian?

You can make complete proteins by mixing proteins e.g. beans on wholewheat toast is a complete protein. Chickpeas/beans and rice make a complete protein (obvious you'd have it in a sauce of choice with other veggies!)

Hummus and pitta makes a complete protein.

Quinoa is a complete protein on it's own. As are edamame beans.
Old 23rd May 2022, 19:05
Banned at own request

^I’m not a vegetarian, but I am trying ways to reduce meat, I do really like beans and that’s a great way to add more protein in your diet. Are you a vegetarian Biscuits?
Old 23rd May 2022, 19:25

^ yep. I’m not the biggest fan of faux meat substitutes. The texture of them usually makes me gag! I like some of them every now and again though.

In terms of exercise, I walk a lot. I used to go to yoga, but stopped when the pandemic started.
Old 24th May 2022, 09:53

Mood
Lucky

Quote:
Tonkin do you have days off too, where you can eat chocolate or anything you want, also how do you manage your sugar cravings?
Yeah, quite often, but they're not planned days off as I find they crop up unexpectedly any way, due to things out of my control. I'm trying to lose a bit of weight for running now so I'm being more strict but when I wasn't I'd eat more freely.

But I find with sugary foods, if I don't have any for a few days, the cravings go away. But if I have them a few days in a row, the longer the row lasts, the harder and harder it gets to break the habit.

I might have a string of good days, then something (sort of) out of my control will happen and then it's all about trying to get back on track with as little damage as possible.

I used to be like, if I had something bad then I'd think "sod it, I'll just carrying eating badly as I've ruined it". But that sort of thinking is a bit like if you had a flat type on your car, you wouldn't get out and slash all the other tires because one is damaged. You'd get it fixed and carry on with your journey.

Everyone knows its calories in vs calories out but the mental aspect is 90% of it.
Old 24th May 2022, 19:49

Mood
Fine

I Walk briskly for about 60/70 odd miles a week. On a 'bad' week it can drop down into the 50s, on a 'good' week can be around 80 miles plus. Do some hill/mountain hiking in the better weather, too.

My diet isnt particularly great though......
Old 24th May 2022, 23:34

I don't have a pension plan, so I avoid exercising or doing anything that could prolong my life more than is absolutely necessary.