SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 22nd December 2018, 22:14

Mood
Bashful

Default The clinical definition of social anxiety disorder

Lasting at least six months:

A. A persistent fear of one or more social or performance situations in which the person is exposed to unfamiliar people or to possible scrutiny by others. The individual fears that he or she will act in a way (or show anxiety symptoms) that will be embarrassing and humiliating.

B. Exposure to the feared situation almost invariably provokes anxiety, which may take the form of a situationally bound or situationally pre-disposed Panic Attack.

C. The person recognizes that this fear is unreasonable or excessive.

D. The feared situations are avoided or else are endured with intense anxiety and distress.

E. The avoidance, anxious anticipation, or distress in the feared social or performance situation(s) interferes significantly with the person's normal routine, occupational (academic) functioning, or social activities or relationships, or there is marked distress about having the phobia.

F. The fear, anxiety, or avoidance is persistent, typically lasting 6 or more months.

G. The fear or avoidance is not due to direct physiological effects of a substance (e.g., drugs, medications) or a general medical condition not better accounted for by another mental disorder...
Old 22nd December 2018, 22:34
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Default Re: The clinical definition of social anxiety disorder

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg1...line-189895069
Old 23rd December 2018, 13:00

Well, I can certainly tick off all of the above. I think it's point c that is possibly the most frustrating, depressing and shame inducing aspect of SA: that we know it's unreasonable to feel anxious to the extent we do and yet it seems impossible to control. Our own brain seems to be our worst enemy! The trick, I think, is to learn to accept the anxiety instead of feeling ashamed of it.
Old 23rd December 2018, 14:06

Mood
Bashful

The only problem I have with c, I don***8217;t believe my anxiety is unreasonable or excessive based on my upbringing, I think it would be a perfectly rational reaction to the way I was brought up.
Old 26th December 2018, 01:52

Mood
Grumpy

All of the above since before 10 years old. Now nearly two decades later. I have no uni degree, no job, no intimate romantic relationships under my belt. But I do have a driver's license (which I am infinitely proud of - it's like my golden trophy!).
Old 31st December 2018, 19:58

Mood
Bashful

Nice
Old 31st December 2018, 23:10

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishPeace
The only problem I have with c, I don***8217;t believe my anxiety is unreasonable or excessive based on my upbringing, I think it would be a perfectly rational reaction to the way I was brought up.

I think for people who have been bullied or something similar when they were young that can be true. I suppose it might be considered excessive for situations you're in now.