SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 9th February 2019, 18:27

Mood
Cheerful

Default Quit Job After 18 days. Left It Off CV. Advice Needed RE P45 and Future Employment

Hi All

Hope you are all well.

I left my long term job with my old company in December 2018. Most people knew that I was leaving to start a new job in a new company.

So I started the job after 18 days. It was a really bad job. (I posted a thread about it previously). I wasn't even willing to stick it out as I knew it was the wrong job. Thankfully I have savings so can cope for a while.

So after I left I got straight on voluntary work. This way, I can prevent any gaps on my CV and I can stay busy and motivated. I love working.

I decided to leave that job off my CV as I don't feel it's revelant to my career.

Anyway, since starting voluntary work - I am really enjoying it. It's really good. So I do need to start looking for paid work which I have been. I have offered a lot of job interviews.

I have been applying for jobs within my last company who I left in December 2018. I haven't added the new job on the application forms either.

However, one role I did apply and got an interview for. The Team Leader knows me and knows I left to start a new job.

So when I attended to the interview, that Team Leader had spoken to the Contract Manager. As soon as they both came into the interview, the very first question they asked "why did you leave our company and now coming back. Tell me about that". I found that a bit intimidating but I guess it's a natural asked question to ask. So I told them that I left. Started a new job and it wasn't the right job for me. I didn't want to paint the new employer as bad because I found it didn't look well. But I could see this manager in the interview didn't like what I was saying. Then she looked unimpressed when I informed I left that job. However, seemed to accept that I am doing voluntary work.

So then my P45 came through the door this morning for the new job that I left. It details the date I just left my last employment. If I leave the new job off my CV and application forms. The P45 for future employment will have details off the employer that I voluntarily quit with.

So my questions are:

1) Is it okay if I leave my new job that I have just left after working for 18 days off my CV?
2) If I do, how do I explain my reasons for leaving my new job especially when applying for new roles especially within my last long term employer? (It's unstandable they may ask why I left and now coming back just after one month ago after leaving)
3) If I do leave off my new job off my CV. How would and can this affect my P45 for future paid employment?
4) Is it better just to keep my short term job on my CV? Just anxious it will prevent me from getting a paid job
Old 9th February 2019, 19:18

Default Re: Quit Job After 18 days. Left It Off CV. Advice Needed RE P45 and Future Employmen

Leaving stuff off a CV is ok.
I dont list all my bad exam results and all my previous jobs on my latest CV.
It is not like outright lying which is really bad even fraudulent.
e.g Its normally ok to only list jobs that are relevant to the job you are applying for.

The employer should ask about gaps on your CV if it is a big concern for them.
So if they ask you in the interview regarding this latest gap on your CV , or specifically ask about your very last job,
then you should tell the truth as they will find out from your P45.

If you start work in the new tax year, after April the 6th 2019, i think the P45 you recently got will be out of date anyway. You wont need it anymore. You just tell your employer you haven't worked at all since the new tax year started.
Old 9th February 2019, 19:31

Mood
Cheerful

Default Re: Quit Job After 18 days. Left It Off CV. Advice Needed RE P45 and Future Employmen

Thank you both for your replies.

I don't have any gaps hence why I got straight on to do voluntary work to prevent any gaps. I started the voluntary work two days after quitting my new job.

Again thank you both.
Old 10th February 2019, 11:54

Mood
Cheerful

Thank you.
Old 12th February 2019, 16:20

Mood
Cheerful

Hi Change

Thank you so much for your reply to my thread.

I put it into practise and used this within my job interview today. I spoke about the reason on why I left the company and my eagerness to come back. The employer seemed happy with my reply. There was no negativity and they appeared to understand that the role was not the right fit.

Overall the interview was very positive. I came away feeling very excited.

Should receive the outcome fairly soon.

Thanks again to everyone who replied to my thread.
Old 25th February 2019, 21:23

Mood
Insomnious

I just put on whats relevant to the job. Everyone has had a job they didn't want at some point. I've had a few interviewers question my choices and be derogatory about it, but that was fine because if they are going to be that kind of dick I don't want to work for them. Sometimes everyone forgets that employment is a two way thing. A mutual agreement. You've no obligation to stay where you're badly treated. They are paying because they need someone to do the work, they aren't doing you a favour. I hate that we live in a world where people have forgotten that. The question always is "so why did you leave your last role?" yet get bent out of shape when you ask "so why are you having to advertise this role why did the last person leave?". I think if employers started being a bit more real about job profiles and stop believing their own propaganda things would run along more smoothly. Save us all from these "exciting opportunities in dynamic environments".