SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 23rd August 2023, 08:33

Default Re: What I did today - for small achievements and cheers

Wow Appear! You performed to an audience that’s amazing!!!!

Old 23rd August 2023, 10:24

Thanks guys!! Definitely feels good - not that long ago I couldn't contemplate doing something like that.
Old 23rd August 2023, 14:18

That's great, Appear! I remember you talking about wanting to do it ages ago, it's nice to see you followed it through.
Old 23rd August 2023, 14:33

Holy ****, well done, Appear. That was really funny, I genuinely laughed. Congrats for doing it.

Edit: I've just listened to it for the third time. Love it more each time.
Old 23rd August 2023, 16:45

That recording was so funny, Appear! Well done! And In front of an audience! As Jam said, it gets better everytime you hear it!

Anyway, I better stop typing, otherwise you will soon be feeling very dehydrated!
Old 23rd August 2023, 22:17

D'awww. Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wham Bam Thank You Jam
Edit: I've just listened to it for the third time. Love it more each time.
Counting this as a win as I know a lot of stand up isn't usually your bag.
Old 23rd August 2023, 23:55

Woah, Appear... !!
Old 24th August 2023, 09:08

Wow! That's amazing Appear, well done! That is probably high up on the list of most terrifying things to do for anyone, never mind those of us with SA!!
It made me laugh out loud, your delivery is great
Old 24th August 2023, 09:22

Thank you!!

I'm doing a course which involves performing your stuff online each month, which really helps I think. Also, the tutor is quite harsh and picky about what material she'll approve (she's got a club and stuff and sees a lot of acts, so does know her stuff). It meant I could have a bit more confidence that it would all at least be joke-shaped than if I went in cold - which I'm pretty sure would be much, much scarier.

Also, I'm hardened to her blank look of disapproval/disgust. No audience member could do worse than that.
Old 31st August 2023, 22:20

Mood
Lonely

Crazy day for me today. Got the bus to Liverpool and went go karting with my brother in law! He's a great guy but I've never spent any time with him without my sister present, so conversation was a bit tough. Karting was fun, done it years ago but at a different track. I was so damn nervous lol but it went alright, best lap was 45 seconds, his was 42, not bad considering it was my first time there. Done a couple clumsey embarrassing things due to nerves like, but trying not to dwell on them.
Afterwards my brother in law had things to do so made my way back into town, not really knowing what I was gonna do. It was only mid afternoon and (not my usual self) couldn't face going back home, going through a bad time still and I just need to keep myself busy and mind occupied, if I stay home thinking I'll get depressed.
So went to burger king (vegan royale is the best!), few shops, went for a tea in egg cafe (veggie place off Bold Street, been going there with my family like half my life). Then wandered around Albert Dock and mustered up the courage to go for a pint in a bar there.
Literally done more things today to push myself out my comfort zone than I have in like the last 5 years combined.
I have been on a medication for like 2 months now, so maybe they are helping too. None of it was easy for me like.
Old 1st September 2023, 08:44
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Well done Appear

^ Nice one Solitary man , sounds like you crammed in a lot!
Old 1st September 2023, 09:14

Mood
Lonely

Thanks Mo, yeah I sure did, gonna struggle to top that lol. Just trying to keep busy.
Old 1st September 2023, 14:57

Mood
Pensive

Well done Appear and SolitaryMan
Old 1st September 2023, 15:12

Went for a test ride on a motorbike today. Lots of interacting etc struggled to sleep last night thinking about it but I managed it. Only taken me 20 years to arrange this. Next test ride will probably be a hover bike or a mobility scooter.
Old 1st September 2023, 20:29

well done BFG.
Old 2nd September 2023, 21:05

Appear, that is amazing. I was going to write an achievement of my own, but don't think I'll bother now.

Solitary, that was a massive day! It seems you're making great progress again.

BFG, when you test drive that mobility scooter, can you send me your thoughts, cos it won't be long now!

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk
Old 2nd September 2023, 21:27

My own minor achievement today was dealing with setbacks and re-working plans without going into meltdown. I hope you're sitting comfortably, because explanations are needed...

I'm currently on a trip I've been wanting to do for some time, touring The Caucasus (Armenia, Georgia & Azerbaijan); it's taken a while for me to be at a place where I could handle a complicated itinerary with a degree of uncertainty, then these countries (Azerbaijan in particular, which wasn't issuing visas to UK Nationals) remained closed because of Covid-19 longer than most others and finally, tensions between Armenia & Azerbaijan needed to be reduced to a point where visiting both was feasible. The degree of uncertainty involved stems from almost all travel needing to be by something called marshrutka, a kind of inter-city minibus with no published timetable.

This morning, I had planned to travel from Yerevan to Akhaltsikhe - t'interweb advised me that one daily minibus did this journey (as a stopping point on the route to Batumi); yesterday, to confirm this, I went to the marshrutka station and found no evidence of anyone operating this route, but the guy in one office, which had Yerevan-Batumi printed in its window, said I should ask his boss, who couldn't be found. The only route into Georgia I knew was definitely operating was to Tbilisi, which is effectively the wrong direction. I left the station still not knowing how to get to Akhaltsikhe (where I'd booked a room and which was part of an itinerary which could fail if one part weren't completed.

I spent yesterday researching and trying to cover all available options (well, actually I spent it walking around Yerevan, but thinking about this at the same time). Tbc

Old 2nd September 2023, 21:45

Part 2.
Today I took the Tbilisi bus at 8.30: the unforeseen event was that the journey didn't end at the central bus station and I was completely lost (as soon as I left Armenia, I had no internet as I was using an Armenian SIM) - I'd pre-downloaded maps and made a note of 'phone shop locations (the Georgian SIM would help a great deal), but only those near the bus stations (there are two, over six miles apart). I headed towards the station most likely to have the bus I need, which was six miles away, ignoring the fact I was carrying a backpack in 36C. After an hour-and-a-half, I had my SIM, which made finding the bus station easier (offline, Google Maps gives only driving routes).

I reached the bus station shortly before 4.45pm and found the bus (I was fearful that, even if I'd gone to the right marshrutka station, the last one of the day may have gone and I'd be stranded), which got me here at 8.30 (the hotel has check-in until 10pm and I'd already changed my expected arrival time). I've already confirmed that my bus tomorrow leaves at 11am, so I'll have time, before and after breakfast, to see some of the city (I managed to visit the castle this evening, as it was lit) I missed by arriving after dark.

It was a bit of a day, but (somehow), it worked out fine in the end.

Old 3rd September 2023, 15:10

Mood
Lurking

I just don't think I would be brave enough to do that now. Maybe 35 years ago, which was when I drove to Spain Twice, but not now.
Old 3rd September 2023, 20:08

^ I wouldn't have been brave enough 35 years ago. I did backpack around the Iberian Peninsular and then through Andorra, France and Geneva, in 1986, but not solo. It's only these last few years that I've travelled alone, but usually, I have trains or buses pre-booked; alas, you can't do that here. Today's marshrutka did run as expected and the last two trips I'm doing that way have hourly departures, so there's no more uncertainty ahead.

Old 3rd September 2023, 20:19

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you ... gregarious introvert

The next James Bond.
Old 3rd September 2023, 21:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you ... gregarious introvert

The next James Bond.
Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. I should know, it's the one I use most often.

Now I have an image of Daniel Craig hanging around a bus station as the dramatic music builds, whilst the audience holds its collective breath, wondering if he'll find the right marshrutka (although, JB would probably just throw out the driver and take it where he wanted to go).

However, the way they drive those things would give the Bond stuntmen a run for their money.

Old 4th September 2023, 06:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Winchester
I went on my very first solo trip recently (which only involved getting trains to another part of England, lol) and that seemed enough of an undertaking, with my organizational/brain issues! Still, I'm pleased I did it - travel really is good for the soul.
Dean, I think that's far more impressive than what I did; you were doing something for the first time, which is a massive step - it doesn't really matter whether it's in the UK or abroad, the logistics are similar (minus passport control and customs), plus you had to plan around possible rail strikes too.

Appear mentions building up to doing live standup by presenting material (to a harshly critical audience) online and I didn't start travelling by planning complicated itineraries or going solo; my first solo trip, in 2012, was planned as a two-person trip but my companion backed out at the last minute - and I suffered so much on that trip that it contributed to a three years' agoraphobic spell on my return. When I did start to travel again, it was in groups or with a companion for over two years before I went solo again (on another trip intended for two) and travelling from place to place (albeit in Europe, with pre-booked transport) came later.

It's all about taking one step at a time. I am pleased with how I dealt with the recent situation, but the build-up to it took years. Your step is absolutely massive and something to build on - who knows what you might be doing a decade from now?

Old 7th September 2023, 20:33

So glad your solo trip was a success, Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregarious_introvert
Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. I should know, it's the one I use most often.

Now I have an image of Daniel Craig hanging around a bus station as the dramatic music builds, whilst the audience holds its collective breath, wondering if he'll find the right marshrutka (although, JB would probably just throw out the driver and take it where he wanted to go).

However, the way they drive those things would give the Bond stuntmen a run for their money.

I don't think i'm ever sarcastic. I don't think I could pull it off haha

It could be a gadget bus that is a stalwart as well!
Old 11th September 2023, 17:48

Getting out in the sun now also doing 15 minutes a day on my indoor exercise bike
Old 11th September 2023, 23:01

Mood
Breezy

Well done Angela.
Old 10th October 2023, 21:54

Mood
Breezy

Went to my first boxing session in years. Bloody knackered and a bit sore but had good fun. It's deeply disturbing how bad my fitness is now and I've gone back to old bad habits. But hey ho.

So when biscuits and I face each in Mortal Kombat I might, possibly, stand a chance.
Old 10th October 2023, 23:44

Mood
Cynical

^ Way to go Percy
Old 11th October 2023, 00:13

Mood
Breezy

And in spite of the fact I was, for some reason, very anxious on the way there.
Old 11th October 2023, 00:23

Lightbulb Re: What I did today - for small achievements and cheers

^^^ Good going Percy! Also, let me know when the fight is taking place - I want tickets. Willing to design outfits too.

On reflection this is a bit gross, so spoiled.