SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 24th March 2019, 23:19

Mood
Mellow

Default Not celebrating your birthday

Does anyone else just not care about celebrating their birthday? Like i feel that some people will make such a big deal about theirs e.g. Massive night out with friends and family. Similarly do you keep it to yourself at work? I always see photos on FB of people parading all the amazing presents and decorations their work colleagues have gotten them. Tbh i only temp now so I'm always in different places, but even when i worked full time i just kept it quiet but yet was expected to 'donate' to everyone else's birthday presents (I rarely did).

Maybe the posts just annoy me because the only way people remember mine is when Facebook reminds them. Still, i sometimes wonder if it didn't, would anyone apart from my parents and partner ever ask me about my birthday since I don't ever make plans for it.

Again this is just another example of why social media is poison and i probably should just stick with twitter for the news.
Old 24th March 2019, 23:35

Mood
Relaxed

Default Re: Not celebrating your birthday

I don't care about my birthday, but I do like to use it as an excuse to treat myself to nice food, then I feel bad about just treating myself, so buy treats for everyone else at work too.
Old 25th March 2019, 00:13

Another year and I'm still living at home, so not a fan. I'd be up for a quiet dinner out though.
Old 25th March 2019, 00:28

It's my birthday tomorrow, but I've told everyone who's likely to do something about it to do as little as possible, please. Don't enjoy a fuss being made or being the centre of attention, even if people do mean well!
Old 25th March 2019, 01:14

^ Hey happy birthday limey

(and sorry don't wanna turn it into a happy birthday thread )
Old 25th March 2019, 01:57

If it was entirely down to me I would like to forget my birthday and let the day pass like any other. I really don't want to be reminded that I'm another year older and I don't see it as a cause of celebration. However, I usually go out for a quiet meal with my nearest and dearest. I get just a very small number of cards but they are getting less and less each year.
Old 25th March 2019, 20:19

Mood
Alienated

Its my birthday in..um...6 days apparently

I use it as an excuse to take a week off work, then I get lots of awkward questions about what I'm going to be getting up to which I have to deflect with various BS because the reality is pretty much FA

I didn't care about my birthday in my 20's it was purely another day, in my 30's they just depress me (god only knows what I'll be like in my 40's)

Apart from my parents and 1-2 friends no one really knows, I'm not on social media, nor do I want to be. It'll be an uneventful one as usual.
Old 25th March 2019, 20:47

Mood
Alienated

It was my birthday quite recently, and I'm not really interested in them. I don't really see the point. I'd rather just have minimal or no fuss, and just get it over with. It might be due to me feeling i'm wasting my life, and every birthday acts as a reminder of all the things I 'should' have done by now. This birthday I was 26 which kind of feels like i've now passed being 'young' and now need to be doing lots of boring adult shit.

I usually have some drinks with a couple of friends and have a meal with close family - but I do things like that on ordinary days anyway (not saying its boring, it was really nice to spend time with a few friends and family, and to get a few pressies too - I don't want to sound ungrateful!)

I don't think I'd like to organise a party or a large gathering, as 1) I don't like lots of attention, 2) I feel like i'm pressurising people to spend time with me and 3) I don't think many would turn up which wouldn't really boost my self-esteem.
Old 29th March 2019, 23:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by genovese
^ Hey happy birthday limey

(and sorry don't wanna turn it into a happy birthday thread )
Thanks genovese!
Old 30th March 2019, 15:32

Got my birthday coming in less than 2 weeks now. I find it more embarrassing than anything else to be honest. I would be gutted if Mrs and my son didn't acknowledge it but other than that happy to let the day just pass. Worst is when someone like my sister posts a "happy birthday' on my facebook wall, then there'll be a dribble of a few people who wouldn't otherwise have known but now feel they have to say the same thing, but the number doing that will be small enough to be awkward and I'll feel like saying - "nothing to see here, let's all just move on and forget the sorry mess.."
Old 6th April 2019, 14:42

I haven't celebrated my birthday for 36 years now (since my 21st). I've never had a party because there hasn't been anyone to invite. After my mother died and my father was housebound, the only way I would have got a card would have been to buy one myself and then give it to Dad to sign (slightly pointless!).

I did, however, do something for my most recent birthday last year, as my partner bought me a card and a couple of small gifts, plus we spent the week in Athens so I visited the Acropolis on the day (my partner even made me a trifle in our Airbnb from ingredients she had brought with her).