SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 12th September 2014, 23:58

Default Your GP

Has anyone else been left for years being routinely prescribed sleeping pills and Valium-type stuff? I'm probably a bit too happy with the arrangement and dreading changing to a more stringent type. Oh there's the Seroxat too but that's not addictive, just a massive cow pat to come off too. Hmm
Old 13th September 2014, 09:42

Mood
Bashful

Default Re: Your GP

I've never been on sleeping tablets but I have dabbled with Seroxat (paroxetine). It really did help my social anxiety but I couldn't put up with the side effects (somnalence). So I knocked it on the head and like yourself, also didn't want the hassle of coming off it.
Old 13th September 2014, 15:12

Mood
Dead

I have been on both. The sleeping pills were useful, but I didn't want them to become routine as I'd previously used Nytol for 10 years. Not since I was a child have I consistently slept well, but I only take a couple of Nytol now when things get really bad.

Anti-depressants are very useful and when I first started using them the effects were astonishing. I could feel my mood dips, but within the hour they had gone. The side effects for me was weight-gain; I put on 2 stone. So when the doctor wanted me to come off them I was very keen as none of my trousers fitted me. However, within a couple of months my mood had dipped low and remained there. I had to resign from work, because I was struggling to cope.
My mood has been very low now for some months and I really think I need to go back to the doctor for some help, but I'm moving house in 2 weeks so I'll just have to wait.
Old 13th September 2014, 18:03

I thought sleeping pills and benzo's are meant to be short term prescription only.
Old 13th September 2014, 18:05

They are. Four weeks max the leaflets say!
Old 13th September 2014, 22:04

Mood
Bashful

Hmmm I think you need to address the underlying problem...

I guess that's easier said than done!