Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 25th July 2011, 23:47
Banned

Mood
Tired

Default Pissed off

Went for an assessment centre day for the company Wilkinsons. I passed the interview stage. The assessment centre was a day of team activities. 3 tables ... each table consisting of 4-5 team members of potential employees and a store manager per table, observing.

We did stupid activities like building a house + windows with spaghetti sticks and marshmallows. Anyways what pisses me off is I basically carried my team and I am sure I did as much as what could have been done. We had to do 2 presentations in front of everyone and I did both as my team members begged me. You would think that might be enough but I never got a call and therefore I guess I haven't got the job.

There's just something amateurish about it. This isn't a good example but for anyone that watches football ... you know how a little knock and people are diving for penalties and how a brush on the shoulder is now deemed a penalty (when really with a clear head and conscience you know it isn't). That's how I feel about this job. I feel like I did as much as anyone could really do to get it for what is essentially a sales assistant role. Nothing major. Maybe I sound arrogant in this, but I just feel like justice wasn't done somehow. Some people are just incompetent. Another (bad) example is when I played for a football team, the manager would choose players he knew from years ago. Yet he would subconciously believe that was the right decision but actually it was bias rather than ability. Just a lack of consistency in some way. That's how I feel about this job.

Can anyone relate to what I'm saying? I feel like they let me down! Especially when I look at the other team members on the day. They all looked very scruffy and very much like they all came out of the jobcentre.
Old 25th July 2011, 23:51
Banned

Default Re: Pissed off

Seems odd that going by your account of what happened at the assessment. You would presume that those that were more vocal, worked well with their group would be more attractive to the people assessing you. Either there were'nt that many jobs available or they have'nt contacted people yet.
Old 25th July 2011, 23:54
Banned

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnni
Seems odd that going by your account of what happened at the assessment. You would presume that those that were more vocal, worked well with their group would be more attractive to the people assessing you. Either there were'nt that many jobs available or they have'nt contacted people yet.
Ye that's what I mean.

I think they said I'd find out by Friday so I haven't got it.

It's a new store opening so they had about 100 positions available.
Old 25th July 2011, 23:55

^ more likely, he appeared "over-qualified" for the position!
If it was for working on the shop floor, they prefer to hire people who don't seem like they will take charge and lead everybody else as they tend to take orders more easily so they can boss them around and get them to do stuff that isn't actually part of their job description!
Old 25th July 2011, 23:57
Banned

Tbh it could be a number of reasons. One could be you are over qualified, you're a student so need you maybe during weekdays etc. Also the position you applied for, could they get cheaper staff if they got more under 18's etc.
Old 25th July 2011, 23:59

Mood
Cloud_9

Phone them up yourself and ask them, whats going on? because they should have the decency to phone even if it is a no, i mean these people treat you like ***** (sorry) but they do imo, seeing as you did the presentation and were the leader of your team, dont know how you did that by the way, do tell lol, if you don't get the job, they lost out not you.

" They all looked very scruffy and very much like they all came out of the job centre" OIII now thats not nice lol
Old 25th July 2011, 23:59
Banned

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Tbh it could be a number of reasons. One could be you are over qualified, you're a student so need you maybe during weekdays etc. Also the position you applied for, could they get cheaper staff if they got more under 18's etc.
Maybe it's over qualified .. never thought about that. Then again a company shouldn't be thinking like that. I'm free as a bee and put down I could work every day of the week and pay is the same for everyone. Ah well.
Old 26th July 2011, 00:00
Banned

What qualifications, work history you got?
Old 26th July 2011, 00:00

^ I wear a suit to the job-centre
Old 26th July 2011, 00:01
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emski
" They all looked very scruffy and very much like they all came out of the job centre" OIII now thats not nice lol
Its true thou is'nt it
Old 26th July 2011, 00:03

Mood
Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortigantoj
^ more likely, he appeared "over-qualified" for the position!
If it was for working on the shop floor, they prefer to hire people who don't seem like they will take charge and lead everybody else as they tend to take orders more easily so they can boss them around and get them to do stuff that isn't actually part of their job description!
no joke, but this. A friend I knew who was a A* Student went for a job at Iceland with this same type of crap you had to do. He said most of the applicants were charver types and thought he nailed it. Never got a cal back. F- knows what they're looking for.
Old 26th July 2011, 00:03
Banned

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Phone them up yourself and ask them, whats going on? because they should have the decency to phone even if it is a no, i mean these people treat you like ***** (sorry) but they do imo, seeing as you did the presentation and were the leader of your team, dont know how you did that by the way, do tell lol, if you don't get the job, they lost out not you.

What I mean is their general presentation was bad ... they were turning up late and some of them didn't come equipped with their passport/NI etc jobcentre chav types.
Old 26th July 2011, 00:04

Mood
Cloud_9

Quote:
Its true thou is'nt it
Yes, thats why i always dress up so i don't fit in
Old 26th July 2011, 00:07
Banned

Mood
Tired

Quote:
What qualifications, work history you got?
6 gcse's a-c.

btec national diploma in business.

worked in next , steward at crystal palace, internship at AIG, and opened and closed a running store on my own
Old 26th July 2011, 00:07

Mood
Cloud_9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worried
What I mean is their general presentation was bad ... they were turning up late and some of them didn't come equipped with their passport/NI etc jobcentre chav types.
LMAO that sounds like me i know my NI number of by heart though, well surely without both of those they can't get the job and then employers knowing they are not reliable by turning up late ?
Old 26th July 2011, 00:09

Mood
Cloud_9

Quote:
6 gcse's a-c.

btec national diploma in business.

worked in next , steward at crystal palace, internship at AIG, and opened and closed a running store on my own
**** wilkinson be a steward at Arsenal, Chelsea or something
Old 26th July 2011, 00:12
Banned

Mood
Tired

Quote:
**** wilkinson be a steward at Arsenal, Chelsea or something
urgh never being a steward again. terrible job. i forgot what i had to do if there was trouble so i'm kind of glad there was never any trouble, else i would have been in trouble.
Old 26th July 2011, 00:14
Banned

Mood
Tired

but ye **** wilkinsons, amateur bastards. i'm going to complain to them actually.
Old 26th July 2011, 00:27
Banned

Quote:
Probably this is the reason you did'nt get the job. They probably thought you would'nt be with the company long if you were applying for a low end position but had this sort of work experience already.
Old 26th July 2011, 00:29
Banned

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Probably this is the reason you did'nt get the job. They probably thought you would'nt be with the company long if you were applying for a low end position but had this sort of work experience already.
But I passed the interview which is when they saw my CV. The assessment day was just group activities with the observer apparently looking for 'skills'. Cliche rubbish!
Old 26th July 2011, 00:34
Banned

Maybe different sets of people decided who passed each stage of the application process. Maybe the store manager had more say in the group assessment rather than the HR people who probably did the interview process.
Best bet is to ring them up and find out as like i said it could be for a number of reasons.
Old 26th July 2011, 01:08
Banned

^Thing is although other people there may have been useless and dressed like tramps was everyone thou? Like i said to the OP earlier it depends on how many positions they had available i guess.
Old 26th July 2011, 01:09
Banned

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc
You have my sympathies. A similar thing happened to me with Asda a few months ago. I had to go to a group interview where we did loads of stupid team building exercises and things like that. I thought it went really well and I felt I came across as confident and polite and was one of the better candidates. They rejected me by email less than an hour after the interview had ended. I was so pissed off at the time. Without wanting to sound like too much of a dick, some of the other people at the interview seemed completely useless. Some could barely string a sentence together. I made a lot of effort for that interview and they didn***8217;t even have the courtesy to tell me why they rejected me. I wore a suit whilst some of the others were in jeans and polo shirts ffs.

I genuinely thought that I came across as one of the better candidates and I thought the interview had gone really well. If it had gone terribly and I had come across as all shy and nervous I wouldn***8217;t have been so disappointed, but I wasn***8217;t. I was one of the most confident people there. I was proud of myself when it had finished and was really hopeful, and it really pissed me off that I was rejected so soon.

I can only assume the reason they rejected me was because I was over-qualified. Not to mention too nice, too polite, too well spoken, too hard working, too motivated, too presentable, too hygienic and too good-looking. No offence to anyone here who may work at Asda, but some of the staff in my local branch are absolutely useless. I***8217;ve never experienced such poor service in a shop. I don***8217;t think Asda actually hire staff, I think they grow them in petri dishes.

I did try contacting them but they refused to give me the reason why they rejected me. I think a lot of low paid jobs don't give the reasons, even if you ask. It's always worth trying though.

Do I really need to add the "" smilie for the third paragraph?
This is exactly what happened with me at Wilkinsons.

I remember before my assessment presentations I saw a cute girl outside who I wanted to talk to but was too shy to do ... then after the presentations people were saying I did well, and all of a sudden I was talking to this girl ... I felt like Al Pacino. I was buzzing. I felt so confident and happy/proud at how I did.

Makes you wonder what jobs we can get??! I'm fooked.
Closed Thread