SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 10th July 2018, 15:00

Default Being made the centre of attention

Anyone else hate it when you enter a crowded office/other room, try to walk inconspicuously to the other side, and then somebody draws attention to you?

e.g. They exclaim your name, "Hey ______! How are you?!" and proceed to ask a load of questions, loudly and in full earshot of half the room. I just want to get across the room, and find or do whatever it was I came there for.

I wouldn't mind so much if the person in question approached me one-to-one, but instead I'm obliged to stand there chatting for several minutes, while a dozen other people listen in. It feels like being on a stage, with a spotlight beaming down on me.
Old 11th July 2018, 10:49

Default Re: Being made the centre of attention

I feel the same way if I'm told someone is dying to meet me.
Old 11th July 2018, 11:52

^Could it be that having conquered your SA, you now ***8220;get off***8221; on those socially challenging situations that once terrified you?
Old 11th July 2018, 14:25

Mood
Sweettooth

I hate attention focusing on me i feel like i can't breathe with it and just want to run away lol

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 11th July 2018, 14:26

^^ Sounds like you've learnt to let yourself go and loving it. Great stuff!
Old 11th July 2018, 15:32

Mood
Tired

I suppose you can either shine, or bomb,.. not that anyone really bombs through just having attention, but it feels like that,
I was walking though one of the big open-plan offices in my work the other day,
it's something I'd usually avoid but I had to do it,
one of the women, who's always a bit loud and outgoing shouted over to me, something I had to respond to,
but I find that in the moment, you can shine too,.. I came back with something quite witty and clever and quite a few laughed,.
I done my thing and then left,.. I felt a bit better about things,
but I know the fear is there, and the fear is possibly of some kind of failure, but it can genuinely go either way, and it's probably more often than not 80/ 20 in favour of a win.
Old 16th July 2018, 19:17

interesting topic. A colleague at an old job I think maybe noticed I'm not too keen to have attention/watchers. And he seemed to show me in a strange way, how to be. He did something and he had an audience, he embraced sort of being the showman.Whereas an sa person try and snuff out the horrible attention, he embraced it. So that was interesting.
Old 18th July 2018, 12:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyja
^ I guess so yeah, kinda like I missed out on all this attention cause I avoided it out of sheer terror now I'm like ATTENTION ME NOW

I even started singing karaoke and nailed the Addicted to Pain song by Alter Bridge not too long ago. I got a big cheer from a group of mates and some people I didn't even know in the booth, it was awesome. I can see why people do that now though cause the rush is nice, previously I wouldn't of even known.
Freyja, can I ask what you think made the difference?? Did you get treatment, or did the SA just get better with time? Or something else?

In response to the original question, although I sometimes enjoy being the centre of attention in certain situations, there are others when I flee..
Old 22nd July 2018, 12:33

As long as the conversation is generally about saying hi and positive I normally appreciate the attention. I appreciate that some extraverts can bring me out a bit and I warm to people like that it creates a balance of people in the office which you really need.
Old 25th July 2018, 11:12

Mood
Lurking

I get this every time I go into the bank and there's a queue. One of the ladies who works there is a bit over-friendly with everyone, and each time I go in she'll shout over to me "how are you today?" or "how's work?" or "what's your plans for the weekend?" and I have to then shout back over to her a reply with everyone in the queue listening. It makes me feel really uncomfortable as I started stuttering once and ended up saying something stupid in front of everyone which made me feel like an idiot.