SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 22nd January 2017, 18:07

Default Hiding apart of me

So I've recently started seeing a local NHS team for my anxiety and seeing an occupational therapist on a regular basis. I recently saw the psychiatrist on the team as well where we discussed medication and I mentioned how I'm fed up of the sexual side effects of my current med. He asked if I was in a relationship and I replied "No" but I'am in a relationship but a gay relationship and for some reason I'm afraid of people knowing, maybe it's because I didn't have the best reaction when my parents found out my sexuality so I just assume that I'll be thought less of. He said we can try a different medication if you happen to get into a relationship in the future. Should I come out to my occupational therapist and say I'm in a gay relationship...I'm not sure if I could just say relationship because she might ask where we met and I wouldn't be comfortable making up an imaginary story about a girlfriend I don't have.

This seems to be an issue for me. I'am proud of who I'am but always afraid of how other people will think of me knowing this about me.
Old 22nd January 2017, 18:29

Default Re: Hiding apart of me

I agree with biscuits. Say you're in a relationship. I would be surprised if they asked you any further questions on the subject.
Old 22nd January 2017, 18:33

Thanks...I'll try to pluck up the courage sometime soon
Old 22nd January 2017, 18:36

As far as I know they're only a small handful of medications I can think of that don't really have these sexual side effects...Agomelatine, pregabalin, Mirtazapine, Wellbutrine. It is hard to know if it's the medication or psychological at times as I'm always been not very confident in the sex department.
Old 22nd January 2017, 19:25
Global Moderator

Mood
Scared

@.Andrew.
I think you should say that you are in a relationship if they ask, it's a part of your life and will ultimately affect some of the decisions you make about future treatments and therapies.
Also if the medications are having a negative affect on your sex life then there may well be another type that can help you without causing sexual side effects, which your therapist could advise you about.
Lastly the fact that you are in a relationship with a guy is not going to make them think any less of you, the people who work for the NHS see hundreds of different people from all walks of life, different races, different sexualities, different backgrounds, they really will not judge you on your sexuality - their main aim is to help you to live a happy and fulfilling life.
Your therapist may themselves be a member of the LGBTQ community, we are who we are, they will understand that.

Good luck with your therapy, I hope it is beneficial to you
Old 22nd January 2017, 20:29

I agree with all the above replies. Being open about who you are, who you are dating etc will help you with your therapy.