SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 17th January 2017, 22:24

Default new job

Hi all

After two months without work and three interviews, I have a job offer - temp to perm working in a maximum security prison on the visitor desk/telephone booking visitors in. Hours are normal office hours but on a Monday to Sunday roster. Pay is good, especially at weekends (in Australia by law they have to pay you double time on Sundays and time and a half on Saturdays). There is staff parking and luckily it is only a thirty minute drive away tops including traffic.

I felt good after the interview - I wasn't confident I had got the job but the manager/interviewer was a very nice person. On the same day, I visited my brother and sister in law who were really negative saying that it will be an awful job (at that point I hadn't even been offered the job). Since getting offered it, they haven't said one thing, not well done or good luck.
Old 17th January 2017, 22:38

Default Re: new job

Well done on the new Job, It doesn't sound like your bro has a good track record on these things , So just ignore him, Haters gonna hate . But you've analysed it yourself well and identified the positives in the progress you have made so no advice needed , instead have a slightly phallic looking thumbs up.
Old 17th January 2017, 22:40

Thanks so much

I know people on here will be able to relate well to being knocked back easily by others. I hope one day I am able to just completely ignore their negative comments.
Old 17th January 2017, 23:26

Congrats on the job! Sounds like a good job and like your brother is being negative. Hope you can manage to out the doubts to the back of your mind.
Old 18th January 2017, 00:04

Thanks. I think prep talking to myself may help, though most of my anxiety should fade once I have actually started.
Old 18th January 2017, 12:18

Mood
Tired

sounds like you've made some difficult choices lately, but good, positive choices,
from what you say, the job sounds good, and the conditions sound good,

could be that your brother is a very negative thinker, and possibly has problems in this area,it's easy to get affected by people with negative views and opinions,
but for your sake you do need to go with your own direct experiences of what for you are huge positives.
Old 18th January 2017, 23:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon(cycle)Fodder
sounds like you've made some difficult choices lately, but good, positive choices,
from what you say, the job sounds good, and the conditions sound good,

could be that your brother is a very negative thinker, and possibly has problems in this area,it's easy to get affected by people with negative views and opinions,
but for your sake you do need to go with your own direct experiences of what for you are huge positives.
Thanks you.

Absolutely, I slept better last night for sure. I don't know why my brother is the way he is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggins
Congratulations on getting the new job, Pink Lady.
It sounds like it will be a positive change for you, especially as the hours are more regular and the pay is better. It also sounds pretty interesting too.

Don't listen to your brother and his wife, they sound like "the glass is half full" kind of people and will probably try to find something negative to say about just about anything. If they haven't got anything positive to say then i dont know why they have to say it at all - I mean, no ones asking them to do the job are they?!

Be proud that, out of the other candidates, the interviewer chose you because he/she could see that you had the best qualities for the job!

Good Luck Pink Lady
Thanks. I hope I can do well in this job and that the experience will lead me on to something bigger and better. I somehow got stuck working in hospitals in the UK so it is good to widen my experience in other sectors.

Lol exactly. Sometimes people need to learn to keep their beaks out.

I hope she is right. In my last job when people were rude or aggressive on the phone it never upset me (but did piss me off sometimes) so hope I don't get upset here, either... because I imagine that some visitors might take their frustrations out on the person sat at the front desk.