Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 21st March 2020, 23:49
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Default Re: Type what you're thinking about right now (11)

I hope my internet is back on monday. I've had to watch actual Saturday night tv this evening.
Old 22nd March 2020, 00:16

Mood
Alienated

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilm
Its completely acceptable to go for a walk on your own (or with a dog). Just keep your distance from others (within reason) when doing so.

Humans (and dogs) need fresh air and exercise, its the way we are.
I would agree with you and say it’s acceptable. But others are saying it is irresponsible and you should stay at home. I’m not sure what to think really
Old 22nd March 2020, 00:24

^ Unsociable hours will be fine.
Old 22nd March 2020, 00:36
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
dirty crisps from days of yore.

Petrified Prawns, Tangy Toms. I bought a packet of Transformers the other day and built a little car with them and then ate it.
Oh Petrified Prawns! I'd forgotten them
Old 22nd March 2020, 04:55

That things are going to end badly.

If my mum catches the virus then it's instantly game over for her. If she doesn't catch it then it won't be much better because, what time she has left, will consist of unpleasant treatments and their side effects that can at best merely hold an untreatable cancer at bay until the inevitable. I know to everyone else she is only some old woman but she's my mum and that makes her irreplaceable to me.

I'm also worrying that I might lose my husband or son. If it's my husband then I'd be totally distraught but I'd carry on for my son's sake but if, god forbid, it was my son then it would push me over the edge and I know I wouldn't be able to carry on. Lastly, I'm worrying about myself but only because I don't know how my husband would cope losing a wife (he's suffered enough grief in his life already) and how my son would cope without a mum.

That's what I'm thinking right now. It's bleak and depressing but if I wrote a Polly Anna ish post about how I was thinking that everything will turn out okay it would simply be a big fat lie.
Old 22nd March 2020, 11:22

^
Old 22nd March 2020, 11:56

Consolida ^^

Try and keep things in perspective. You, your son and your husband will come through this, I am sure. The vast majority of people recover. I just read a Facebook post by the friend of an ex girlfriend. He was diagnosed with it over a week ago and is now pretty much recovered. He said it was horrible - a bit of pain in his lungs at one point, lots of aching and exhaustion, etc, but bearable. He is also a smoker and drinker and was very run down when he got it. His advice to everyone is prepare - get your body in good shape, like you are going into battle. In his opinion, had he not been run down, and not been a smoker, it would have been no worse than a dose of flu, or a bad cold. Your little family will survive, trust me
Old 22nd March 2020, 14:32

Mood
Cynical

^ I also read an Instagram post by someone who does have some underlying health conditions and had the virus, she had to go to hospital initially but then she was able to go home and recover and she's pretty much through it now. Even for people who are more vulnerable it doesn't necessarily mean game over.
Old 22nd March 2020, 15:46

Mood
Cynical

^ With the help from the wonderful NHS and it's staff ofcourse.
Old 22nd March 2020, 16:15
Global Moderator

Mood
Scared

I wish I had somewhere to self isolate, my step parents are still in isolation and will be for at least another week, being stuck in the same house as my bf 24/7 is rapidly driving me insane.
I'm seriously considering living in my car for a while.
Old 22nd March 2020, 20:21

I'm glad you're all okay.
Old 22nd March 2020, 20:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougella
^ I also read an Instagram post by someone who does have some underlying health conditions and had the virus, she had to go to hospital initially but then she was able to go home and recover and she's pretty much through it now. Even for people who are more vulnerable it doesn't necessarily mean game over.
This is true.

MP Nadine Dorres's 82 year old mother caught the virus, and despite suffering from cancer and having problems with her immune system she survived and only suffered extremely mild symptoms.

OF COURSE, she was lucky not to have a more serious outcome given her age and health problems. But nonetheless, its not always the worst outcome even for the ill and aged.
Old 22nd March 2020, 20:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks
I would agree with you and say it’s acceptable. But others are saying it is irresponsible and you should stay at home. I’m not sure what to think really
Hmm, well from what I can make out, there is virtually no risk of spreading anything in the circumstances youve described.

Sounds like the folk who are criticizing you dont know what theyre talking about. Ime not a an expert on epidemiology or anything, but Ime not aware of any reason, for not going out for a walk, at all.
Old 22nd March 2020, 20:57

Mood
Cynical

^ I agree, if you're going for a walk alone, avoiding people and not stopping to talk to anyone you should be absolutely fine. It's the people who are going out in groups and then standing around talking to other people that may cause problems because there's so much potential for passing the virus around to eachother when they do that.
Old 23rd March 2020, 10:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moksha
Consolida ^^

Try and keep things in perspective. You, your son and your husband will come through this, I am sure. The vast majority of people recover. I just read a Facebook post by the friend of an ex girlfriend. He was diagnosed with it over a week ago and is now pretty much recovered. He said it was horrible - a bit of pain in his lungs at one point, lots of aching and exhaustion, etc, but bearable. He is also a smoker and drinker and was very run down when he got it. His advice to everyone is prepare - get your body in good shape, like you are going into battle. In his opinion, had he not been run down, and not been a smoker, it would have been no worse than a dose of flu, or a bad cold. Your little family will survive, trust me
Thank you so much for your kind message

I'm a little less doom and gloom today and listening to the voice of reason from yourself and others here really does make a positive difference. I hope yourself and your loved ones are keeping safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Willow
I wish I had somewhere to self isolate, my step parents are still in isolation and will be for at least another week, being stuck in the same house as my bf 24/7 is rapidly driving me insane.
I'm seriously considering living in my car for a while.
I hope the following week passes quickly for you and you can be back with your step parents if that is where you would prefer to be. It sounds like your boyfriend can be a bit of a pain at the best of times (really hope that doesn't offend you) so I can well imagine that being with him 24/7 is difficult. Even very good relationships can struggle during these testing times.

It's still far too chilly to live in your car so try to last the rest of the week if you can and use this forum as an outlet for your frustrations if it helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks
At the moment I think it's acceptable and not irresponsible (if you are showing no symptoms of course) to go for a quiet walk in the countryside where you are unlikely to see anyone apart from the odd dog walker that keeps their distance.

Yesterday, myself, husband and son went for a drive in the countryside. We found a Nature Reserve in the middle of nowhere where there was only one vehicle in the car park. We saw no one apart from a couple walking their dog across a field. The friendly dog bounded over to us but I resisted patting it (which was hard!) because of the minuscule chance that anything untoward on my clean hands might be transferred to the dogs owners via its fur or vice versa. The clear blue sky, sunshine and sound of birds singing, for a while at least, definitely lifted our spirits.

We then stopped off at a church, again in the middle of nowhere, and strolled around the churchyard where there were clusters of pretty spring flowers. I'm not religious but find countryside churches such wonderfully serene places to visit.

Sadly, as others have said here, it's the idiots who were flocking to crowded coastal areas and parks that were behaving recklessly and will possibly ruin it for the people who are being extra careful.
Old 23rd March 2020, 10:43
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

My internet is back . I realise there are much more pressing worries in the world. But the idea of being locked down with no link to the outside world (I've only got so much phone data) was making me anxious. Also would have prevented me from working from home if need be.

Anyhoo the guy tested my line and apparently someone had switched them! So I had someone else's phone line!! and number for the last week.
Old 23rd March 2020, 10:50

^ (Someone strikes again!)

Did you get any recompense? An apology?
Old 23rd March 2020, 10:59
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

I know! - the engineer said it's not that uncommon either!

Pah! Nah. Just an email from service provider saying my issue has been resolved any more problems call this number....
Old 23rd March 2020, 11:03

Where are you Nanuq?

I was about to respond to your excellent post re the corona virus but can't find it anyway. Am I going do lally?

Just wanted to say that I am thinking about you and wishing you and your lovely family a very speedy recovery xxx
Old 23rd March 2020, 11:05

^^ Ah well, mistakes happen - can't say i've never blundered a parcel delivery!

Tut, as expected though.
Old 23rd March 2020, 11:10
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

^ lol yeah, least it was easily fixable
Old 23rd March 2020, 20:12
Global Moderator

Mood
Scared

I really hope that BoJo puts the country into lockdown tonight.
Old 23rd March 2020, 21:11
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

There's some kind of announcement around about 8.30pm I think. There going to interrupt programming for it.
Old 23rd March 2020, 21:14

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutedsoul
Me too, he needs to give orders rather than advice as this is an emergency situation. People aren’t taking this seriously enough, at least the people choosing to go on overcrowded trains.
Something is going to have to be done RE the Underground in London thats for sure. Cutting the number of train has merely caused (as was likely to happen) more people to crowd onto less trains.

It does appear though that the trains, affected were Rush Hour trains, so its fair to assume that the vast majority on them were going to work. The only solution to that is shutting down more workplaces (but that obviously wrecks many folks lives and causes yet more economic damage).

Ime pretty sure that in the next couple of days most shops will be ordered to close (many where I am are closed anyway). That will help cut virus spread somewhat.

I think also many of these issues vary geographically too. Where I live (Aberdeen) the bus numbers were cut , but are still practically empty. The streets are probably about 90% empty of normal pedestrian moments too. The parks are completely empty too. (although that may be down to the cold climate up here). Certainly no hordes of folk wandering around in large groups, that have been reported in the Press. There were were yesterday, reports of groups of people down on the local Beach Promenade, but It didnt seem that bad from what I saw.

Oddly enough I still see plenty of cars on the go. Given how many places are closed I do find myself wondering where these people are going. Maybe just driving around for the sake of it?
Old 23rd March 2020, 21:17

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo34
There's some kind of announcement around about 8.30pm I think. There going to interrupt programming for it.
Ah, that sounds rather ominous...

Lets hope its something semi sensible (like closing 'non essential' shops) and not simply putting 40 million folk under 'lock and key'. Even if we are only allowed to go out individually, I could tolerate that.
Old 23rd March 2020, 21:23

Quote:

Lets hope its something semi sensible and not simply putting 40 million folk under 'lock and key'. Even if we are only allowed to go out individually, I could toloerate that.
If Johnson does put us under lock and key, giving the police the power to stop and fine you, etc, it will be a massive deal. I am going to watch it live. Fifty years from now, this will be one of those moments historians write about.
Old 23rd March 2020, 21:23
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

^^ it does doesn't it :/

Gawd knows.
Old 23rd March 2020, 21:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moksha
If Johnson does put us under lock and key, giving the police the power to stop and fine you, etc, it will be a massive deal. I am going to watch it live. Fifty years from now, this will be one of those moments historians write about.
Could be a Travel Ban (stopping anyone from leaving their own county etc). that would warrant a serious announcement. Please let it not be 3 months confinement!!!! Ill go mad!!
Old 23rd March 2020, 21:31

Quote:

Lets hope its something semi sensible (like closing 'non essential' shops) and not simply putting 40 million folk under 'lock and key'. Even if we are only allowed to go out individually, I could tolerate that.
I'm still barely impacted!

Sadly
Old 23rd March 2020, 21:47

Mood
Tired

I can't make friends everyone just ignores me lol I don't know if it's because I'm ugly or boring or both lol