Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 18th November 2020, 12:27

Mood
Bored

Default Live entertainment

When do you think live entertainment will be allowed? Concerts , theatre , sports etc
Tickets are being sold for events next year some in March , will things be back to normal by then!
Did you have tickets for events this year that were cancelled or postponed
Old 18th November 2020, 13:10

Default Re: Live entertainment

I have given up predicting when live entertainment will resume. I have tickets for a concert which was due to take place in April 2021, but has now been postponed to March 2022!

I have several tickets for events this year which have been postponed; in the longer term, it will be of benefit because one promoter (Chic Festivals) has been trying to keep interest going by offering "free" tickets (only the booking fee is payable, which is a hefty £12) for weekend festivals, which means that I have amassed many tickets for next year (starting in March, although I fear that those may be postponed further); the catch here, of course, is that if the events are eventually cancelled, booking fees are not refundable and if the promoter doesn't survive, then those £12 "investments" will be lost.

It was a difficult summer this year, as I usually spend most of July and August at festivals (as well as some of May, June and September) but if restrictions are lifted, I have a lot to look forward to in 2021 - with no financial outlay! However, I did experience the novelty of travelling in the summer months, albeit restricted to Europe and in heat from which I'd normally hide indoors (30 degrees plus). My biggest concern surrounds the tribute concert to my favourite band's drummer, who died in January this year - it's been postponed twice (currently set for April 2021) and takes place in St Catharine's (his birthplace) in Canada; I really want to be there, but much of the world (Canada included) sees the UK as a high-risk country and is not admitting UK citizens, so even if the date is finally settled and tickets become available, I doubt that I would be able to gain admission.

Perhaps once the vaccines become available, things may start to change?
Old 18th November 2020, 14:13

I had a few things postponed and then cancelled earlier this year. Something that was supposed to be on in March was postponed to July, which seemed reasonable at the time, but was then moved to July 2021. In June I bought a ticket to something this December since I felt optimistic that it would be happening, but then a couple of months ago it was postponed to next April. I'm assuming that won't be on now. Time seems to move so fast while nothing changes and we'll soon be in spring.

I know there have been a few outdoor gigs where the audience have been sitting separately, but I'm not sure how normal venues where most people are standing could operate. I suppose at some point next year those who are at risk of becoming very ill or dying will be vaccinated while the rest of us are free to take our chances at events that involve lots of people.
Old 18th November 2020, 17:42

I was going to download this year so I’m hoping that goes ahead in June. Gigs are the thing I’ve missed most though, planning on going to a lot of them once they’re allowed to happen again.
Old 22nd November 2020, 11:50

I’ve missed concerts so much. This year I had tickets for Slam Dunk which was pushed back to September and now May (we shall see), My Chemical Romance, now pushed back a year, and Knotfest was refunded but they kept the fees.
I’m optimistic that events will be going ahead next summer with news looking promising about a vaccine.
Old 24th November 2020, 14:58

^ It's difficult for me to get to Slam Dunk now that they've dropped the Birmingham event - not because it was Birmingham, but because it was Monday and I usually have other commitments on that weekend (it is a very busy weekend); in general, I hate the way that the fees are not returned for cancelled events - I'd mind less if they were kept by the promoters (as they might help cover any losses incurred) but usually it's the ticket agencies that keep them.

At least there is the first glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel with the announcement that venues can open at up to 50% capacity (although that may been prices doubling). I think I'm going to be confused at some festivals next year, as to whether I am attending the 2021 event, or the postponed 2020 event.
Old 21st January 2021, 23:58

Mood
Bored

Glastonbury cancelled , hmmmmm this makes me think that this year is going to be a write off for live events etc
Old 22nd January 2021, 18:51

Doesnt look good at all for live events before this Summer (at the Very earliest). And Ive a feeling that even that may be optimistic, the way things are going.

Biggest event is probably the Euros (Football) Its due in June and quite a few games are scheduled for London and Glasgow. Dont think theres any chance of those games going ahead with anything more than 10/20 % of crowds in the stadiums. Can see all the matches being shifted to a single country, but where I dont know (given that every major European country is heavily infected. Russia has been mentioned but its just as badly hit as anywhere else. Wouldn't surprise me if the entire tournament got scrapped in the end.

Another very dull year looms for Live Events methinks...
Old 23rd January 2021, 19:32

I think it will be similar to last summer tbh. Partly because we're not all going to be vaccinated until the end of summer if all goes well.