SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Welcome & Introductions Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 22nd March 2018, 20:49

Mood
Relaxed

Default Hello!

It's a paradox; I have social phobia and yet, once onstage with my band, all anxiety ceases and I feel empowered. As I sing and play my violin or acoustic guitar, I feel my whole personality change. Our regular fans see it and react. While taking up the lead in our first song, I make eye contact with the ones up the front and see their excitement and happy faces. Of course, pre-stage anxiety gets pretty bad and to combat that I do breathing exercises. Even so, stage fright has never gone away.

I've been in music all my life, following on from my parents. I have a bright but fragile teenage girl, Fiona. She's getting onto Grade 8 in piano so I see a good future for her since she loves music so much.

But offstage and back to real life, anxiety can grip even when we have to go grocery shopping. Much as I hate saying this, but when I'm recognised in town and have to do autographs, all I want to do is run away.

It has been many years since being in a forum, but I thought I would try again and maybe in helping others, I can help myself.

I'm going to have a rest now and catch up with my kids. They're a lively bunch!

Thank you for letting me join.
Old 23rd March 2018, 16:15

Mood
Fine

Default Re: Hello!

Wow, you have so many talents Arpeggio! I am always amazed how people can play the violin, acoustic guitar and other things without even looking at them; just looks like they put their hand anywhere and an amazing sound comes out!

It does seem contradictory that someone who has SA can get up on stage and be the centre of attention. I was emailing a friend recently and in his previous message he asked me if I had seem a programme Rhod Gilbert done about shyness. Apparently this Rhod person( I've not heard of him really) has shyness. But on this programme he was able to get shy people up on stage and do some stand up. My friend also said another guy Greg Davies was also on it