Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 19th April 2018, 17:22

Mood
Fine

Default Modern vs Old Cars

Got me wondering what people's thoughts and experiences are. I didn't think it was such an issue and assumed all the the techy things were pretty modular and easy to replace.
Old 19th April 2018, 19:09

Mood
Alienated

Default Re: Modern vs Old Cars

Godd, sounds like my dad

Me and my dad both bought relatively new cars last september, similar age, similar price. His, doesn't have a great deal of toys (was more to do with boot space/height requirements) but its got the usual..bluetooth/cruise control/whatever. He's just about ok with that but still panics thinking its going to break and cost him hundreds (he used to be a truck mechanic but since he retired its clearly got a lot more..techie since his day)

Then mines just...toys galore, touch screen..bluetooth/android connect thingy/auto wipers/auto headlights/dsg auto gearbox/weird lane assist thing (which is freaky)/auto whatever else, start/stop and things. He uses it sometimes and thinks its a lovely car but is adamant WHEN ITS BREAKS its going to cost me thousands

..Maybe..maybe, hes probably right..but times are changing, might as well just suck it up and get onboard
Old 19th April 2018, 20:38

Mood
Crappy

Yes times are changing...which just means everything will get more expensive.
Old 19th April 2018, 22:28

Maybe there***8217;s more electronics to break but at least it***8217;s unlikely to rust away like a 1970s British Leyland...!!!
Old 19th April 2018, 22:58

Mood
Alienated

Why do all modern cars look angry? Its always puzzled me.
Old 20th April 2018, 02:20

Mood
Fine

^ It appeals to guys in their 20s and women who want to appear more intimidating I'm guessing The old man said a lot of the women he taught to drive were going to get SUVs so they could appear more intimidating, sad really

Did you buy the car outright Toxic? And are you planning to keep it after the warranty runs out? I can definitely see why finance is more popular if it is the case that things start to break.

I've got a 2001 Golf, and the only thing messing up is the trip meter button which I can probably fix
Old 20th April 2018, 18:44

Mood
Alienated

^ Oh don't get me wrong its not brand spanking new new

It's a Seat Leon FR ..tech pack - 2.5 years old with 10k miles on it

I stuck it on some cards with 0% interest on and set up direct debits to clear it before the 0% runs out...works out I'm paying something like £270 a month to clear the cards in..4 years or something.

I'm fully aware for £300 a month I could easily be roaming round with some flash brand spanking new Audi or BMW on certain finance deals with plenty more toys than mine but I don't think I'm in any financial position to be dealing with 30k cars, I bought something I knew I liked/wanted and I could pay it off tomorrow if I needed to.

I don't know "why" I'd get rid of it (it better pass its first MOT!) - I did a lot of window shopping and theres not much I actually like I suppose it would be a case of selling it before it gets properly knackered/potential to get expensive, I know the little computer that deals with my gearbox is like £1500 odd