SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Board Management > The Garage
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 11th October 2015, 18:39

Mood
Veggedout

Default Why is the option not available to delete account ?

I'm slightly confused as to why we haven't got the option to delete our account ?
Old 11th October 2015, 18:46

Default Re: Why is the option not available to delete account ?

I think it's because people might change their minds. People would be deleting them every 5 seconds in an SA moment of eeeee-ness, and then changing their minds and coming back.

It'd probably be a nightmare for the mods as well because threads might disappear. People might make troll accounts and then disappear.

I think there are exceptional circumstances. I don't want to put ideas into people's heads!
Old 11th October 2015, 18:47

I agree that it should be an option, but can also see why it would be a pain.
Old 11th October 2015, 19:42

Mood
Veggedout

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7279616E
vBulletin, the software this site uses, doesn't include a direct Delete Account option for Users. It is technically possible for accounts to be deleted by Administrators, however.

Removal of an account can have quite a serious impact on the site, as well as not always accomplishing what the user wants by removal of their account.

Posts from a deleted account will be marked "Guest", or deleted altogether, depending on the setup. Quotes will however still be attributed to the original username, ruining anonymity if that is what was desired. The deletion of posts - and there may be thousands, tens of thousands even - can seriously impact on the site content and the usefulness of threads.

This is an SA forum, so if absolutely necessary, and in exceptional circumstances, we will remove accounts, but it will not become routine or a standard option.

We do have options for those feeling worried about their presence here. Name changes and other adjustments to a user's visibility and privacy here are possible. If you're worried or want some help or advice, PM any mod/global mod/admin and we will help.

I'm sure the deletion of someone's profile doesn't have a significant impact on the forum, and the availability of information to SAers. The content is constantly renewed, the whole point of a forum is to post or thread your concerns. So regardless of what I write, the same issues can always be readdressed. The labelling of my old content as 'guest' wouldn't bother me.

The whole point of considering the deletion of my account is on the basis that I don't feel I get any benefit from the site, at the moment it isn't what I need. I spend an awful lot of time on here lately, and I just don't feel I do anything productive with it. If I wanted to come back on the site, I could always set up a new profile. It surely should be up to the person who creates the profile whether they delete there profile or not ? I can't see why this has to be a decision for others to make.

Sorry if I sound snide, don't mean to.
Old 11th October 2015, 19:46
Co-Administrator

If you're considering taking a break for a while Johnny and then returning, you could self-ban yourself for as long as you wanted. You then only need to email the site to come back. No need to create a new account
Old 11th October 2015, 19:47

Mood
Veggedout

Ok sunshine how does that work then ?
Old 11th October 2015, 19:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny88
I'm slightly confused as to why we haven't got the option to delete our account ?
Hope you don't leave
Old 11th October 2015, 19:56
Co-Administrator

I've PM'd you Johnny
Old 15th November 2015, 21:38

Thought I hadn't seen you around on the forums for a little while.

Sorry you don't feel the forums are benefitting you at the moment. Hope your doing ok and everything improves for you