SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 30th October 2014, 12:39

Default Is it really possible to overcome/beat depression and negativity for good?

The older I get, the more I think that depression/negativity/low self esteem are evil things that I just have to learn to live with. I am tired of fighting them to be honest. I have tried so many things this year including mentoring at work, taking citalopram (which I have now stopped after a bad experience at the doctors and finding it didn't help that much anyway as I suspected), seeing various counsellors, trying mindfulness. I have come to the conclusion that I lack the motivation and dedication needed to change. I want to change more than anything in the world as I utterly detest being a negative person. But trying to change is the hardest thing in the world. I feel ok most of the time but have bad days (like today) and low moments which just come out of the blue unexpectedly although I suppose there are triggers when I think about it. Do you think it is REALLY possible to beat depression and overcome a negative attitude for good? The last thing I want is to just 'live with it'. That doesn't work and I am fed up of just 'living' with this shit. I want to bloody well beat it I was crying tears of frustration this morning. Urgh. I am SOO tired of not feeling good enough. What the hell am I supposed to do? I am fed up of trying and giving up or trying and not getting anywhere. I swear, if depression and negativity were a person, I would just want to kill it. Anyway rambling now, sorry.
Old 30th October 2014, 13:01

Default Re: Is it really possible to overcome/beat depression and negativity for good?

Yes, it's more than possible to overcome all those negatives you mention.
In becoming Mr.Yippeeeeee' charity fund raiser, children's entertainer and story teller extra-ordinaire I'm daring to do something I've always wanted to do. That's very motivating.
Have you something you would really like to do?
Part of my forward progress is to be fully me in every way possible. Whatever actually happens to simply like myself for simply daring to try.
I speak as someone who, until a few weeks ago, completely isolated for about 9 months, and sadly, have isolated many times.
George Orwell said "it's never too late to become the person you wish to be." I'm a young 68. The Church of Dave guy claims that you learn to succeed by failing. If you have the resolve to continue then you need never fear failure, you simply learn invaluable lessons and continue moving on.
I have resumed my yoga practise and do 45 minutes yoga before breakfast just about every morning. That's tremendously beneficial. Could you improve your life style, diet etc ?
P.M. me if you wish.
My best wishes

Peter
Old 30th October 2014, 13:15

Default Re: Is it really possible to overcome/beat depression and negativity for good?

Thanks peter. Oh I could improve my diet yes but food cheers me up. The lack of motivation is the hardest thing to change which is crazy when I hate being like this
Old 30th October 2014, 13:37

May, I ask why the lack of motivation ?
Comfort eating is a temporary fix. A healthy diet contributes to giving you the best possible chance of being well motivated !
Old 30th October 2014, 13:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Yippeeeeeee
May, I ask why the lack of motivation ?
Comfort eating is a temporary fix. A healthy diet contributes to giving you the best possible chance of being well motivated !
Yes I know this but do you know how hard it is to stop comfort eating. VERY HARD - that's what. These people who say comfort eaters are lazy don't understand its all driven by the brain. If I could change the thoughts in my brain then I would find it easy to stop comfort eating too.

I don't know why I lack motivation. I suppose it would be a mixture of: laziness, not wanting to put the work in, fear of trying and failing, brain unable to take in information. I don't know really :-/
Old 30th October 2014, 14:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
Yes I know this but do you know how hard it is to stop comfort eating. VERY HARD - that's what. These people who say comfort eaters are lazy don't understand its all driven by the brain. If I could change the thoughts in my brain then I would find it easy to stop comfort eating too.

I don't know why I lack motivation. I suppose it would be a mixture of: laziness, not wanting to put the work in, fear of trying and failing, brain unable to take in information. I don't know really :-/
During my isolation I consumed too much alcohol, snacks, biscuits and cakes....my weight went to over 14 stone. So far I've lost 1 stone......my yoga practise helps so much......I've stopped drinking etc.

If you were well motivated what would you do? If you weren't afraid of failure what would you try to do? Could you find something to aim for? What would you wish to achieve?
Old 30th October 2014, 17:28

I really hope it is
Old 30th October 2014, 18:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Yippeeeeeee
Yes, it's more than possible to overcome all those negatives you mention.
In becoming Mr.Yippeeeeee' charity fund raiser, children's entertainer and story teller extra-ordinaire I'm daring to do something I've always wanted to do. That's very motivating.
Have you something you would really like to do?
Part of my forward progress is to be fully me in every way possible. Whatever actually happens to simply like myself for simply daring to try.
I speak as someone who, until a few weeks ago, completely isolated for about 9 months, and sadly, have isolated many times.
George Orwell said "it's never too late to become the person you wish to be." I'm a young 68. The Church of Dave guy claims that you learn to succeed by failing. If you have the resolve to continue then you need never fear failure, you simply learn invaluable lessons and continue moving on.
I have resumed my yoga practise and do 45 minutes yoga before breakfast just about every morning. That's tremendously beneficial. Could you improve your life style, diet etc ?
P.M. me if you wish.
My best wishes

Peter
very encouraging post Peter, I was feeling very old today and very down, but this has really pulled me up again.
I can really appreciate how you feel silver, but take heart you can do it.
Old 30th October 2014, 19:05

These things can certainly become more manageable. Recognising the the signs of an onset and having some coping strategies, together with a determination to use them, means I can avoid sinking into doldrums of despair these days. It's always there though, I don't think you can ever be truly free, you have to keep your guard up.
Old 31st October 2014, 20:56

Mood
Alienated

I must say as a 25 year old it really scares me that some people think that there is no way of becoming truly free of depression. I cant imagine feeling the way i do now for the rest of my life. Now that would be hell.
Old 31st October 2014, 22:52

Mood
Tired

I really hope I can somehow get rid of my depression. I have difficulty gathering the little motivation, so I can truly understand how you feel, Silver.