SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 30th July 2018, 13:11

Mood
Pensive

Default How to make a important phone call

I don't know how to make a important phone call I have completed 12 weeks cbt but still have avoidance.
It's about a job was sort of offered but have not been able to force myself to do it as I'd have to speak to a manager.

What method would they advise at cbt as I have forgotten e.g. pretend your a scientist doing an experiment.
Old 30th July 2018, 21:18

Mood
Dreaming

Default Re: How to make a important phone call

I echo biscuits advise and would write it all down. Think of the questions they might ask you and your answers. I still do that if I'm really anxious about phoning someone.

I'd also write down all my negative thoughts about phoning them and then challenge them as to the likelihood that they're true and that may relieve some of your anxiety.

Personally, I also try and make things like this the first thing I do in a day. I'll set a time when I want to do it by and then try to stick to it. If I leave it I worry too much and end up not doing it but that may just be me.

And remember, they've offered you a job (even if it's only sort of) so they are expecting a call. That's a huge bonus as it's not like you're cold calling them and have to find the right person to talk to etc.
Old 30th July 2018, 23:25

^ really good advice!

Writing down what bad stuff I think will happen during this phone call...

My fear of talking over the phone is really quite severe. Im going to start doing this.
Old 31st July 2018, 09:49

Mood
Pensive

Thankyou for the good replies. I was told in cbt to not rehearse things to much but my mind will go blank so u will have to write a few points down.
I couldn't remember the list thing so that's a good idea I did this in cBT also.
Just wish there was an email address instead
Old 31st July 2018, 10:10

Have an opening sentence written down in front of you, and everything else you want to say in bullet points.

At least it's not a cold call, it's a warm call because they're expecting you.

But, this is funny timing for me, because I am putting off making calls myself. All last week I was doing it, now this week, I can't seem to do it. I know once I get started I can cope if I do all the calls back to back. Which is why it sucks when someone isn't available.

The only good thing about phones is you often get better information than you do with email and get things sorted out faster - as long as you are talking to the right person. I try to remind myself of this, but now that just means I am procrastinating on sending an email OR phoning.

Edited - I've made my first phone call and it was bad news, but better to find out straight away than stew away for an hour only to be told no!

Last edited by choirgirl; 31st July 2018 at 10:24. Reason: Update
Old 31st July 2018, 20:44

Mood
Musical

This is one aspect i can't deal with...

Phonecalls

and when i do need to use the phone, it takes me ages to pluck up the courage to use it... like i have to book my car in for a service this week and not got round to doing it... will have to do it tomorrow now ggrrr
Old 1st August 2018, 10:43

Mood
Pensive

Made the phone call and it was no where near as bad as I thought.
I made a list of negative thoughts and put percentage I believed them then I challenged the list and most of it I had exaggerated and the person on the other end of the call is not bothered about how my voice sounds etc.
Then put a few points down I wanted to say. Also as mentioned rang first thing this morning.
Old 2nd August 2018, 18:22

Mood
Dreaming

Glad you managed to make the call and it went ok