SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 6th April 2021, 19:43

Mood
Melancholy

Default Mental health records

I’d like to access my GP medical records, I already know how to do that but I’d like to know if my mental health records will be in there too as those are the ones I’d most like to see. I’ve looked online and apparently GPs don’t hold that information but I’d just like to check to see if anyone on here knows any better.

When I say information I don’t just mean letters from my therapists to my GP, I mean notes about me, my treatment etc. Do mental health assessors make notes too? About 15 years ago a therapist mentioned a few things in my notes that were untrue and she muttered something like “Oh, this doesn’t seem right” and “that’s strange” but didn’t elaborate. At the time I didn’t have the confidence to enquire but it’s often been on my mind since.

My most recent therapist sent my GP a letter, which I caught a glimpse of on the monitor as she was reading it, and I was blamed for “failing to engage” amongst other things. The paragraph I read made me seem like a lazy malingerer and my GPS demeanour towards me changed a little. She seemed quite irritated after reading that.

A few years have gone by since I saw my last therapist but I want to write her a letter because there are so many things that she said and did that negatively affected me, and still do now. She was the one who failed to properly engage with me and was consistently condescending, infantilising and judgmental. There was mild gaslighting too and I felt invalidated. She wasn’t abusive and I don’t want to make a complaint or anything like that, I just want to tell her what I think. It’s difficult... unless you’ve experienced therapy like that you don’t know how dreadful it can make you feel. It is hard to categorise because like I said, she wasn’t abusive but I still consider it to be “bad” therapy in a sense.

Before I write the letter I think it would be helpful to know what she’s written about me but I’m not sure where to start. The place where I had my (NHS) therapy is odd because it doesn’t really have a point of contact so I don’t know what to do. Obviously it’s not easy to get GP telephone appointments the moment and I don’t want to be bothering them with something like this when they could be dealing with a serious issue.

Has anyone here had access to their mental health records and how did you acquire them?
Old 6th April 2021, 20:26

Default Re: Mental health records

https://www.rethink.org/advice-and-i...ealth-records/

https://www.mind.org.uk/information-...personal-data/
Old 6th April 2021, 21:54
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Some comments from mine.

"Award demanding and troublesome" "Very dependent narcissist" "His illness is Machiavellian in its complexity" . My mental health team in Essex were into being judgemental . They saw that as being a good proxy for proper care and support.
Old 6th April 2021, 23:00

Mood
Cynical

^ How could they have been so wrong and so incompetent!
Old 8th April 2021, 17:46

Mood
Melancholy

Firemonkey, that sounds awful and unprofessional. I think that the people who work in mental health should avoid writing their personal opinions about patients in their notes and just stick to the facts and diagnosis. I’m also sure that some of these people aren’t even qualified to diagnose such things.

Spideysenses - Since the late 90s I’ve only briefly seen three counsellors who said they couldn’t find anything wrong with me and yet also admitted that they weren’t qualified to deal with my problems 😐 In the last fifteen years I’ve seen two CBT therapists. I’m not expecting to see anything too horrible written about me, just inaccuracies and misdiagnosis since I was diagnosed with Autism seven years ago. If I read anything that’s untrue I do intend on correcting it because if I ever decide to try therapy again, I want to make sure that any other professionals will see both sides. Mental mental service users tend to lack autonomy and we need more power to not only choose the kind of therapy that will benefit us, but to have an opinion when things don’t work out for us.

I looked at Mind and Rethink but the place where I had my therapy has no website or email address so I can’t contact them to ask for my notes. There’s a phone number but I struggle with phone calls so I won’t be doing that. I’m just going to contact my GP and see if I can get my general medical records. I have a MyGP app so I’m hoping they’ll all be on there.
Old 8th April 2021, 20:31
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

I requested an old shrink report. Initially I wrote to the CMHT but as I'd been closed to them for over 2 years they directed me to the records dept of Sussex partnership trust, filled in a form and that was that no questions asked.

It did get held up for some reason and they missed the time deadline so the waived the fee and also sent me all my notes! which I hadn't requested.