SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 11th April 2021, 16:09

Default Re: TV programs you're watching?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen.
The new series of The Great British Sewing Bee starts on Wednesday

I didn't really enjoy the last one as much as I have previously, so I hope it's better. The Christmas ones were good.
There's a jewellery one starting soon too, I'm looking forward to that
Old 11th April 2021, 16:19

Ooh, thanks for letting me know, I hadn't heard of that! Looks like that's on the day before.
Old 11th April 2021, 18:59

Late to the party with Mr Robotty (Malek, Slater et al cracking code with their arse cheeks). 6 episodes in, not a bad watch.
Old 13th April 2021, 13:56

Mood
Bookworm

Too close.
Old 13th April 2021, 15:10

^ I'm watching this too
Old 13th April 2021, 16:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuq
There's a jewellery one starting soon too, I'm looking forward to that
I can't sew to save my life but I love watching The Great British Sewing Bee so the jewellery one sounds right up my alley
Old 13th April 2021, 19:33
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Series 1 of Castle Rock.
Old 13th April 2021, 20:24

Given up on the jewellery show after 20 minutes I didn't realise it was hosted by Katherine Ryan, and I find her unwatchable for some reason. It seemed like a very dry show.
Old 13th April 2021, 21:06

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Given up on the jewellery show after 20 minutes I didn't realise it was hosted by Katherine Ryan, and I find her unwatchable for some reason. It seemed like a very dry show.
I don't think she is at all suitable for the show. Why is it that pretty much every challenge / competition type show now has a comedian as a presenter? I didn't think Alan Carr was suitable for the recent Interior Design Masters either.

I enjoyed All That Glitters but it didn't have the sparkle or fun that the Sewing Bee or Pottery Throwdown has.
Old 13th April 2021, 21:10

Some generic food programme. Who knows what it's called. Terrestrial television seems to be perma-cooking shows.

They're making Wagon Wheels. I miss jam Wagon Wheels.
Old 13th April 2021, 21:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamonD
I don't think she is at all suitable for the show. Why is it that pretty much every challenge / competition type show now has a comedian as a presenter? I didn't think Alan Carr was suitable for the recent Interior Design Masters either.

I enjoyed All That Glitters but it didn't have the sparkle or fun that the Sewing Bee or Pottery Throwdown has.
I guess comedians add a sense of fun, or they're supposed to. It works well in Sewing Bee, I think Joe Lycett puts everyone at ease and stops the show from taking itself too seriously. Katherine Ryan doesn't seem capable of doing that though, she seems like quite a cold person, and the judges appear to have no sense of humour or fun about them either so it feels far too serious and dull.

I much preferred Alan Carr to Fearne Cotton She was just sat at the side watching them being judged half the time, at least Alan gives his opinion now and then. There are probably a hundred better choices though.

I think some of these shows would actually benefit from not having a presenter, such as Pottery Throw Down, where the judges do most of the presenting anyway.
Old 14th April 2021, 00:59

Mood
Breezy

@Jen:
I totally agree with you about the judges on All The Glitters. The guy seemed like he might have a slight sense of humour deeply hidden but that Partridge woman i don't think cracked even a hint of a smile the whole show. Like you said Katherine doesn't have a warm personality to carry a show like that. Joe works so well on Sewing Bee as he's a bright, colourful and camp character. I'm still not sure about Siobhan hosting the Throw Down but she does have a much bigger personality than the previous host Melanie Sykes.
I predict All That Glitters will have only the one series or if it does return it will be completely revamped.
Old 14th April 2021, 10:40

Quote:
I haven't tried it yet, I was going to watch it on catch up. I don't like Katherine Ryan either, she's very cold, I think she probably works better with another comedian so she can get away with the odd withering comment.
Old 14th April 2021, 15:39

Mood
Sad

Looks like i'll have to defend katherine ryans honour.
Old 14th April 2021, 23:47
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Louis Theroux. Shooting Joe Exotic.
Old 15th April 2021, 13:27

The first episode of the new Sewing Bee was good There looks to be a few people I could get behind. Last year I didn't like anyone!

Also started the second season of the US version of The Circle on Netflix. It's odd how they still film it in Salford in the same building as the UK version, but pretend it's being filmed in the US for some reason. They cover the plug sockets with plastic boxes so you can't tell see the UK plug sizes, and insert exterior shots of Chicago and occasionally England (but play the footage in a mirror image so the cars are on the other side ).
Old 15th April 2021, 17:34
Global Moderator

Mood
Cold

So I checked out All That Glitters. I'm not the biggest fan of Katherine Ryan either but I actually didn't mind her. She certainly wasn't the worst thing about it - the judges we're absolute humour and personality vacuums and the workshop was so dark and dreary. It lacked all the fun of the Sewing Bee and Bake Off sets. I'll likely stick with it for a bit just out of interest in the jewellery making methods.
Old 15th April 2021, 18:22

It seemed like it could have been a kind of pilot - only six episodes and eight contestants. Hopefully they learn from the reviews and cheer it up a bit if they decide to make a second longer series next time. Making things is fun! It should feel fun to watch too.
Old 15th April 2021, 19:38

^^ They were awful weren't they!!
I thought the woman would make a terrible, humourless tutor if you were studying jewellery, never mind a TV judge. They can't have had much choice for the role.

I agree it's worth watching for the making. Jewellery design was another failed course I tried and swiftly left because of sa. I was always so interested in it and got on a course in Manchester...I am forgetting the name of the college...anyway I did some lovely bashing of copper, then had to start using the rollers and torches and stuff and within a few weeks had done so many things wrong (and a girl had asked if I wanted lunch and I initially said yes, but then I ran off at the end of the lesson because I can't eat and drink in front of people) that I just stopped going. Shame. SA is so debilitating.
Old 15th April 2021, 21:20

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo34
Series 1 of Castle Rock.
Hope you enjoy it,

I found it quite creepy, and quite an intense watch, but also quite confusing.
Old Yesterday, 22:07

Mood
Inspired

So just finished watching Graysons Art Club, wow it was not what I expected Have to admit I’m not a fan of his art (not that I'm super into art or anything) but what a cool guy! So every week he gets ordinary people and a celebrity to send in their art they did during lockdown and was putting together a sort of exhibition at the end.
He had Derren Brown on and he was talking about as an introvert how he needs that time with his art on his own to "recharge his batteries" so that he can be who he wants to be at other times "his stage persona" I suppose. I never thought about things in that way.
I would also call myself an introvert but as I've got older no longer see that as a fault or a flaw its just who I am but I also do like going to work these days (this hasn't always been the case) I'm very lucky to work with a group of women who all get on and I feel very comfortable with them but if I'm being honest it is still mentally draining just to socially interact all day, we're also in a communal office so I suppose that also plays a part, would like to have some energy left outside of just work
Old Yesterday, 22:50

Mood
Worried

^ Never seen it but does sound interesting! I can certainly understand art can help introverts recharge their batteries! I can imagine most artists are probably introverted.

Deutschland 89. The second sequel to German thriller Deutschland 83. I'm on the penultimate episode, and I've really enjoyed the series. Some things seem far fetched, but I still think it's good. Some great characters on here, and I like the touches of humour in some scenes. I'm fascinated with this period of history. It's also helping me with my German.

Chernobyl. Probably a bit late to the party with this series, but just bought it on DVD. It really is superb, and I'm on the second episode. Although I know a lot about Chernobyl, it is fascinating to see it dramatised, and highlights how many people just had their head in the sand.
The sad recent passing of Paul Ritter reminded me of this series, and I'm fascinated with Chernobyl. At first I was disappointed the characters weren't speaking Ukrainian with English subtitles (just because I think it's authentic, and I love languages), but of course I don't think many of the actors would know Ukrainian!, and also speaking English gets people to connect to the characters more I think.

I so wanted Paul Ritter's character to say '**** on it' after the core exploded..
Old Yesterday, 22:55

Mood
Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_love_otters
So just finished watching Graysons Art Club, wow it was not what I expected Have to admit I’m not a fan of his art (not that I'm super into art or anything) but what a cool guy! So every week he gets ordinary people and a celebrity to send in their art they did during lockdown and was putting together a sort of exhibition at the end.
He had Derren Brown on and he was talking about as an introvert how he needs that time with his art on his own to "recharge his batteries" so that he can be who he wants to be at other times "his stage persona" I suppose. I never thought about things in that way.
I would also call myself an introvert but as I've got older no longer see that as a fault or a flaw its just who I am but I also do like going to work these days (this hasn't always been the case) I'm very lucky to work with a group of women who all get on and I feel very comfortable with them but if I'm being honest it is still mentally draining just to socially interact all day, we're also in a communal office so I suppose that also plays a part, would like to have some energy left outside of just work
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...=1618782878020
Old Yesterday, 23:13

Mood
Inspired

^Haha love it
Old Today, 02:54

Zoo on Netflix.

I would never have watched this if my son hadn't been watching it but, dare I say, it's proving to be enjoyable escapist nonsense. It was the neighbourhood cats conducting secret meetings in a tree that hooked me in. Telepathic lions, kamikaze bats, and invisible snakes, it gets slightly crazier with each episode and probably should have stopped after 2 seasons but I'm finding it addictive and I shall stick with it until the end.