SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 16th March 2021, 22:48

Default Re: TV programs you're watching?

Roman Kemp: Our Silent Emergency
Old 16th March 2021, 23:20

Mood
Alienated

^ I have just watched this too. Great it has been made, and hopefully raises more awareness. What struck me is how the people that were involved were all part of stereotypical popular groups of lads, who appear very happy and outgoing.

Thank you Mr Nobody for suggesting it, as I wouldn't have known about it otherwise.
Old 17th March 2021, 09:55

Mood
Lucky

I'm sure most people would have more regrets about not buying a house vs having a big wedding if you asked them 30 years down the line when they would've paid off their mortgage.
Old 17th March 2021, 11:52

Mood
Lucky

I agree that sometimes memories are more important than possessions, but a house or a bit more than a possession isn't it?

I know technically it is a possession, but it quite a useful one, especially if you get to the point where you can no longer work but have a house you can live in, rent out or sell.
Old 17th March 2021, 13:49

I'm not sure any wedding could be good enough that the memory of it would be comforting to a couple who are then struggling to save up even more while throwing away money on rent over the next however many years. Monthly mortgage repayments are generally a lot less than rent payments, so you could do both things much sooner overall if you bought a house first and then got married, rather than the other way around. I kind of want to watch an episode that I know in advance ends with people choosing the wedding, just to see how they've come to that decision.
Old 17th March 2021, 14:03

Mood
Lucky

I guess a couple that chose a wedding might be expecting a decent inheritance.
Old 17th March 2021, 20:57

Mood
Tired

Castle Rock,.. it's an American TV series based on a Stephen king novel,
It's such a confusing thing to watch,
I can usually sus out or get a good idea of what's happening in a programme and can usually pick up a storyline quickly enough and read characters,.
But with Castle Rock I'm completely flummoxed and bamboozled by almost every character and storyline,
It's a total and complete mind-phuck trying to watch this and work out what the hell is supposed to be happening,

Annoyingly, I keep persisting with it as some parts are genuinely scary and seem quite interesting.

But I'm also constantly asking "WTF is going on" all the time
Old 18th March 2021, 00:23

Talking Re: TV programs you're watching?

I have started to watch more comedies to help with low mood. I started watching Parks and Recreation last month and I am now up to Season 5. I find it so comfortable to watch like a favourite old blanket. It's funny (no1 job for a sitcom ), it doesn't expect from the audience but doesn't rely on prat falls and slapstick humour too much. Plus I think it just has really well fleshed out characters and it develops their relationships well across the seasons.
Old 18th March 2021, 10:27

Mood
Lucky

I've never been able to get into Parks and Rec. I will give it another go.
Old 18th March 2021, 10:36

I know it's common to recommend sticking with something that seems bad, but that show really does get better as it goes on. People usually say to skip the first season completely since it just isn't very good.
Old 18th March 2021, 11:52

Mood
Lucky

Yes, I've heard that. It seems naughty to skip the first season but if it's worth it, then I might give it a go.
Old 18th March 2021, 12:00

I think it's okay with the kind of comedy where single episodes are funny on their own and don't require being watched in any specific order despite a very loose overall plot. If there was a four season drama that I started and thought was terrible but someone said to stick with it because it doesn't get good until halfway through the second season, I'd definitely not bother

Funny how another show by Michael Schur, The Good Place, has a great first season but then gradually more and more disappointing additional seasons. Maybe he'll get it right one day.
Old 18th March 2021, 13:35

Mood
Lucky

Yes, I watched that. Pretty harrowing.

It's good that they are working out to help people with it a bit better now (or so it seemed in the show), following the advice about the negative impact of graded exercise for ME/CFS, for example.
Old 18th March 2021, 20:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tembo
^ I have just watched this too. Great it has been made, and hopefully raises more awareness. What struck me is how the people that were involved were all part of stereotypical popular groups of lads, who appear very happy and outgoing.

Thank you Mr Nobody for suggesting it, as I wouldn't have known about it otherwise.
Yes - it really does make you think about the masking of MH issues and the pressure to keep it hidden. I always feel that way, like I have to hide it and appear sunny. (I mean that as my personal experience - obviously I have no idea about what it's like to be a male!)
Old 18th March 2021, 20:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Introspheric87
I have started to watch more comedies to help with low mood. I started watching Parks and Recreation last month and I am now up to Season 5. I find it so comfortable to watch like a favourite old blanket. It's funny (no1 job for a sitcom ), it doesn't expect from the audience but doesn't rely on prat falls and slapstick humour too much. Plus I think it just has really well fleshed out characters and it develops their relationships well across the seasons.
Go on,

Parks and Rec is the gif-gift that keeps on giving.
Old 22nd March 2021, 16:17

Mood
Tired

Line of Duty,

was looking forward to this,
but the acting of the Scottish female lead was more wooden than a bloody rocking horse,

how did no one flag-up her bad acting before releasing this?
Old 23rd March 2021, 09:37

Binned off Snowfall on episode 4, mostly due to the awful guy playing the CIA agent, an actor whose entire range seems to consist of further drawing down his slanting brows from their already resting frown position. Should have been a great show, but let down by unrealistic scenarios, drawn out scenes (presumably to fill airtime) and some dreadful acting amongst sone excellent performances from the lead guy and others.
Old 23rd March 2021, 10:29

Mood
Alienated

Really enjoying Deutschland ‘89.
Old 23rd March 2021, 15:14

Mood
Sad

Caroline Flack: Her life and death
Kate Humble's coastal paths
Old 24th March 2021, 19:38

Mood
Dreaming

The last series of the office. I adore rainn wilson and james spader (drool) but seeing something go from so hysterical to scraping the barrel is painful. They should have known when to call it a day.
Old 24th March 2021, 22:07

^ I've never seen The Office, or Gavin and Stacey.

#selfcare

Old 24th March 2021, 23:47

Mood
Dreaming

https://youtu.be/WaaANll8h18

My favourite prank of jims. It's worth watching for creed alone
Old 25th March 2021, 10:12

Mood
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by twosocks
The last series of the office. I adore rainn wilson and james spader (drool) but seeing something go from so hysterical to scraping the barrel is painful. They should have known when to call it a day.
Yeah I overall love the American Office but it took a few wrong turns towards the end!

Catherine Tate for example.

I've watched it through twice now I think and it was only the last time that I noticed what a d-bag Jim was. Seems I'm not the only one:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/angelospagn...bad-bad-person

https://www.ranker.com/list/jim-halp.../jacob-shelton
Old 25th March 2021, 10:28

I watched it off and on while it was on and then watched it all again in its entirety last year, and taking a few wrong turns is an understatement Seasons 2-4 are very good, seasons 5-6 are hit and miss, but seasons 7-9 are pure garbage. It obviously should have ended with Michael leaving, but with him leaving written properly.

Yeah, Catherine Tate being in it was a terrible choice. Especially when she eventually became a background character, I don't know what anyone was thinking. All the extra regulars that joined were bad.
Old 25th March 2021, 10:36

Mood
Lucky

I liked Plop and the other guy.

Andy evolved in some strage ways too.

They also really dropped the ball when trying to explain what the documentary film was all about. As if they'd film a company for X years without ever putting anything on TV until the very end.
Old 25th March 2021, 10:43

Yeah, I didn't mind Andy. I just didn't find any of the new people funny. Maybe they would have been if they weren't primarily in it when the show stopped being funny. I heard that in the UK one the Christmas specials were designed to show how people act differently in the workplace after being shown on TV (since it was supposed to have aired after the second series was filmed), but in the US one they didn't know how long it was going to go on for and wouldn't have wanted, say, five whole seasons where all these ordinary office workers are dealing with the effects of fame. I suppose there was no other way to address it than have it right at the end like that.

Have you listened to any Office podcasts? Office Ladies was okay for a while, but became unbearable to listen to a few months ago. It was interesting at the beginning since each one is about a single episode, but now it's mostly long tangents about stupid pointless things or answering listener questions that are almost all "Was this part in the script of improvised?" Kevin does one too, which is just interviews with a different cast/crew each time and that's a lot better. Creed provides the music for both
Old 26th March 2021, 19:35

Arrested Development in memory of this babe:

What ai woman
Old 26th March 2021, 23:19

Mood
Dreaming

this is making me want to watch more parks and rec, i gave up a few episodes in but i might stick it out for ron swanson.

https://youtu.be/Hyc1aMtnHJo
Old 27th March 2021, 00:06

Mood
Cynical

^ It's really good, give it another try!
Old 27th March 2021, 00:22

^ & ^^ yes, such great characters! Ron, Tom, April, John Ralphio, Lil Sebastian