SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 16th April 2021, 19:20

Mood
Cynical

Default Anorexia and Autism (and CPTSD) - lessons learned on the road to recovery.

A very interesting talk on how a diagnosis of autism helped this woman in finally recovering from anorexia.

(Possible trigger warning, discussion of eating disorders and treatment.)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yMH6SxR1c4A&t=328s
Old 16th April 2021, 19:59

Default Re: Anorexia and Autism (and CPTSD) - lessons learned on the road to recovery.

I’m still finding it hard to process that Big Brother’s Nikki died recently from anorexia at 38. I just can’t believe it even though the recent photo of her was so horrific. You just imagine these processes to be slow and that they’ll be enough time to help someone. It’s hard to believe the body of a young person can just shut down over night like that.
Old 16th April 2021, 20:31

Mood
Cynical

Default Re: Anorexia and Autism (and CPTSD) - lessons learned on the road to recovery.

^ I know it's terrible. I wonder if in her particular case she had been ill on and off for such a long time that her body had sustained damage that couldn't be recovered from, although she had just come out of treatment. Maybe it was too soon for her to have gone home, probably no-one knows.
Old 16th April 2021, 20:35

The diagnosis and treatment for eating disorders needs a complete overhaul. I saw in the NHS document that they are putting more funding and making it easier to access early intervention and support. They’re also going to work with charities. Hopefully we will see some really positive changes put in place.
Old 16th April 2021, 20:41

Mood
Cynical

^ That's good news. I do remember reading that treatments were often based on how low a person's weight was, which is extremely problematic given the nature of the illness aswell as the fact that along with most mental health conditions getting people help at the earliest point can be very important, rather than waiting until something becomes extremely serious.
Old 16th April 2021, 20:48

^ completely agree - To turn people away because of their BMI is hugely problematic. it’s the thoughts and behaviours that should be the dominant criteria in the diagnosis, treatment and support.
Old 17th April 2021, 15:12

Mood
Cynical

^ It could be worth considering whether any of the things mentioned in the video might be helpful or relevent to her. I hope your friend is able to get a lot better, even though this woman was very ill in hospital she has been able to get to a much better point physically and mentally since then so it's good to know that it is possible.

No, 38 is no age at all, it's so sad.