SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 4th April 2019, 13:23

Default Exercise officially makes you happier than money, according to Yale and Oxford resear

Exercise officially makes you happier than money, according to Yale and Oxford research

• Researchers at Yale and Oxford may have proven exercise is more important to your mental health than your economic status.
• The scientists found that, while those who exercised regularly tended to feel bad for around 35 days a year, non-active participants felt bad for 18 days more on average.
• The team also noticed that certain sports that involve socializing can have more of a positive effect on your mental health than others.

It's clear exercise has health benefits both physical and mental — but what if we could actually prove it was more important to your mental health than your economic status?

According to a study carried out by researchers at Yale and Oxford, we may have done just that.

Read more: https://www.businessinsider.com/exer...19-4?r=US&IR=T
Old 4th April 2019, 13:25

Default Re: Exercise officially makes you happier than money, according to Yale and Oxford re

Damn, could a moderator please fix the title?

Should be:

Exercise officially makes you happier than money, according to Yale and Oxford research

Thanks.
Old 4th April 2019, 13:59
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Default Re: Exercise officially makes you happier than money, according to Yale and Oxford re

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1019085951.htm

I was that child who was poor at gym and sports. Usually picked last for a team. Then put in goal ,and berated by my fellow pupils for letting in umpteen goals. That put me off exercise and participating in sports.

I quite like walking but on a long walk need someone with me to make sure I don't get lost. I also quite like swimming but can't get to the leisure centre on my own.
Old 4th April 2019, 15:22

Mood
Cynical

wjfox, I think you've run out of space in your thread title to complete the word. But hopefully a more experienced mod than me will be along at some point and let you know

I would wonder how much money vs how much exercise, because if you don't have enough to live on you're certainly not going to be happy no matter how much exercise you do.
Old 6th April 2019, 16:11

Mood
Fine

I love going for long hikes in the mountains/hills and do lots of walking in general and it certainly puts me in a good mood.

HOWEVER, I think Id feel better still if I was to win a bundle of cash on the Lottery!!!!

Best being honest, methinks.......
Old 7th April 2019, 16:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilm
I love going for long hikes in the mountains/hills and do lots of walking in general and it certainly puts me in a good mood.

HOWEVER, I think Id feel better still if I was to win a bundle of cash on the Lottery!!!!

Best being honest, methinks.......
You'd be surprised how many people feel worse after winning the lottery.

Also, I've read your chances of being murdered increase exponentially.
Old 7th April 2019, 18:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox

Also, the vast majority of people have never had to manage large sums of money before. If someone has only ever had a few hundred quid leftover after paying the bills it is almost cruel to suddenly put them in charge of several million pounds. No one teaches you how to manage large sums of money like that in school. At least, they didn't in my day. If anything school teaches you that money is evil and that's about it, which isn't exactly helpful. This is why lottery winners go broke and millionaire sports stars and celebrities end up bankrupt. They don't know how to manage large sums of money. They spend too much and invest unwisely and employ bad financial advisors and get ripped off and are basically like a lame zebra being brought down and eaten by a pack of hyenas. Well, sometimes. The point is that if you suddenly become a millionaire, there is plenty of opportunity for you to screw it up, or be screwed by other people.

And this is without mentioning that relationships with family and friends are going to be put under new pressures and that the opportunity for unlimited self-indulgence rarely leads to health and happiness.

I think Warren Buffett said the best thing to do if you win a few million quid is to put it in the bank (or in an index fund) and forget you own it. Just carry on with life as normal and don't quit your job. Easier said than done though.
Old 8th April 2019, 20:41

Mood
Bashful

I used to be a an exercise person but it gets boring. Now I just do 10 minutes of exercise a day and it positively affects my energy and health.
Old 8th April 2019, 21:01

Mood
Alienated

^ I'd tend to agree!

The money isn't gonna knacker my knees any more than they already are!

and Warren Buffet, can hush, the only people who can say something as stupid as that comment are the people who can afford to stick a few million quid in the bank and forget it exists
Old 8th April 2019, 21:20

Mood
Bashful

If you don't exercise look up 10-15 minute exercises on YouTube, I do one video each day so I don't have to pay or commute to a gym. The govt says you should do 70 mins vigorous exercise a week to get exercise benefits and that's how I do it.
Old 9th April 2019, 13:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishPeace
I used to be a an exercise person but it gets boring. Now I just do 10 minutes of exercise a day and it positively affects my energy and health.
Yeah, it can get boring.

However, I watch YouTube videos on my big TV while using a treadmill. My favourite ones are 4K steady-cam walkthroughs of Tokyo, Japan etc. and other interesting places around the world, especially views at night. It feels like I'm actually "there", almost like a form of virtual reality as I'm walking. An excellent channel I recommend is rambalac, who also does livestreams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishPeace
The govt says you should do 70 mins vigorous exercise a week to get exercise benefits and that's how I do it.
Actually, the minimum recommended is 150 minutes.
Old 9th April 2019, 15:23

Mood
Relaxed

Quote:
Actually, the minimum recommended is 150 minutes.
NHS says 150 minutes of moderate aerobic activity, 75 minutes of vigorous aerobic activity or a mix of the two.

I exercise for around 30 minutes per day vigorously. I do think it helps a lot with mood.
Old 9th April 2019, 16:18

Mood
Fine

Quote:

Ha. ha, well I CERTAINLY wouldnt feel worse.

As for being murdered, Id move to a better part of town (or better part of another town) so that wouldn't apply to me either.

So Id just keep on with the Hiking and Walking AND have the Millions too.

Ime not an extravagant or flash sort of chap and am fairly risk averse, so Id play it safe with any "Investments" and such like

Its nice to dream......
Old 9th April 2019, 16:43

Mood
Balanced

I run half marathons all the time, as well as doing the training for them...definitely helps my mood and also a sense of achievement..also by joining various running clubs it does become a valuable social outlet.
Old 9th April 2019, 20:40

Exercise being good for wellbeing is beyond dispute - it's a done discussion, there's no argument to be had. Exercise is good for you - if you're reading this and you suffer low mood, low/negative energy, etc. and aren't doing some form of exercise then you really need to start looking at a way to implement it into your life.

As for whether it's better for you than being minted, well, i don't know - how much exercise is needed to accomplish this? Does one need more exercise if they're skint?
Old 9th April 2019, 22:30

Mood
Relaxed

^Every part of life is tedious. I do my exercise while watching YouTube videos, which is slightly more 'fun' than just watching the videos. I do think exercise is a little addictive, I miss the endorphins when I don't, I also struggle a lot more to sleep in the evening if I don't tire myself out with exercise.
Old 9th April 2019, 23:16

Quote:
Damn, could a moderator please fix the title?

Should be:

Thanks.
Dougella is correct. You have reached your maximum word limit for the thread title.
Old 10th April 2019, 19:59

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylian
The problem with exercise is that it's unbelievably monotonous and boring. People who say they enjoy it have some sort of mental defection or the IQ of a dog.
Exercise, can also help with excessive cynicism too (allegedly)
Old 10th April 2019, 21:42

CORRELATION IS NOT CAUSE. The hint is in the first word of the actual paper's title: 'association'. My god can someone put journalists on some training in basic research methods.

There is reason to believe that exercise can boost mood, but this study doesn't show it (at least alone). You could equally well conclude that happiness causes exercise from it (and there's reason to believe it does a little bit, too).

Ugh ugh ugh. Ugh.
Old 10th April 2019, 21:53

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylian
The problem with exercise is that it's unbelievably monotonous and boring. People who say they enjoy it have some sort of mental defection or the IQ of a dog.
Depends what type of exercise you're doing and whether you're outside or not. Walking or cycling in the countryside or going for a run with lots of different stuff you're going past to look at is probably going to be more interesting than exercising in a gym or at home.
Old 10th April 2019, 22:20

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougella
Depends what type of exercise you're doing and whether you're outside or not. Walking or cycling in the countryside or going for a run with lots of different stuff you're going past to look at is probably going to be more interesting than exercising in a gym or at home.
True.

Gym Based activities are a non starter for me, cause if find them too boring.

Cycling, or walking/hiking in the countryside or climbing mountains and hills are (for me) things I look forward too.
Old 11th April 2019, 12:17

Mood
Cynical

^ Me too, i'd much rather go out for a walk.