SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 12th April 2017, 21:16
Banned at own request

Default Anyone want to write but can't?

Or is there anything else you'd like to do but are hindered by a complete lack of talent?

The weird thing is, I want to write even though I think books are boring. I certainly can't expect people to read my stuff when I'm unwilling to read anyone elses.
Old 12th April 2017, 21:28

Default Re: Anyone want to write but can't?

Do you not mean instead that you wished you were more interesting?
Old 12th April 2017, 21:32
Banned at own request

Possibly. But I don't really care what people think of me.
Old 12th April 2017, 22:02

Ok. Hmm.

Well I don't really want to waffle on about crap in my life. I always think people aren't reeeeally asking a question when I read them, they're more trying to find out about themselves. Even if no one replied.

I've got no idea what you'll make from this reply. I think I'm just gonna bugger off with a headche. Just thought I would reply with something at least.
Old 12th April 2017, 22:07
Banned at own request

No problem. I'm just honestly interested. I suppose I think it would make me feel less alone if people shared their experiences. Or maybe I'm just bored. I'm not sure why I asked now you mention it. It was just a spontaneous thing. I haven't even posted in here in ages and just felt like posting I suppose.
Old 12th April 2017, 22:40

I like writing for myself because it helps put my thoughts in order.

Sometimes I decide to write about a random topic that interests me, like recently I saw the video for Iggy Azalea's 'Mo Bounce' and felt like writing about the commonplace fascination with big bottoms in today's society.
Old 12th April 2017, 22:58

I'd love to write. It's probably the one thing I know I want, most everything else is just variations on things I think I should want. For years I've wanted to recapture that period when I was a kid, where I could write nonsense and be happy with it, without judgement. I've built it up to be something so intimate and personal though, where I can't write anything without it being wrapped up in my ego and how much I dislike myself. My standards for myself are so high now I'd probably have to be Shakespeare not to beat myself up over it.

Really though, lack of talent (whether it's real or imaginary) shouldn't be an obstacle. If you want to write, write. It doesn't matter whether it's good or not, any more than having fun strumming on a guitar and learning the chords has to be musical. I don't feel like I read enough either to warrant having a stab at it myself, but what's the worst that can happen, getting a call from the Writing Police?
Old 12th April 2017, 23:16

Write all the time. SA and the life of a writer go hand in hand. Just finished a creative writing course. Very SA challenging reading your stuff out in front of 14 others and then having them all critiquing it, but it was absolutely invaluable and my writing has come on in leaps and bounds. I used to think I was a decent writer...until I did that course.

The OP's comments certainly ring a chord with me. Like Noel Gallagher, I used to only read non-fiction "because fiction is just made up" and seemed an utter waste of my life, but now I devour it because you can't write fiction if you don't read it. Reading widely is the best education a writer can give him/herself.