SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 12th October 2015, 19:19
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Default Is living in the city bad for our state of mind?

Mental health problems are more common amongst city dwellers - but why? Is it the stress? The noise? The lack of green spaces? A study involving scientists from King's College London, architects from J & L Gibbons, and artists from Nomad Projects, is trying to find out how the urban landscape affects how we feel.

To take part, download their free app, called Urban Mind, which will prompt you at random, seven times a day for seven days, to answer questions about how you feel and where you are. The app gathers geotagging data, and if you choose to you can also upload images and sound files, to give a full sensory picture of your location.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/lucy...b_8275900.html
Old 12th October 2015, 22:13

Location: Bobbing around in the oceans of the world... menacingly
Default Re: Is living in the city bad for our state of mind?

I think biscuits hit the nail on the head twice there. Everyone's in your face in the city, and there's more opportunities to challenge yourself. They go hand in hand - not only are there opportunities, you're almost forced to. That's a very good thing. I'd also, somewhat contradicting myself here, argue that there's also more comfort in avoidance in the city. Despite what childhood games may have taught you, you can't hide in the countryside. If someone sees you there, you're far more remarkable than one in a sea of many. You get to both get used to being around and making basic communication with many in the city, but can also blend in as just another bulb on the Christmas tree.

Never have I been more profoundly miserable than all the time in my life I've spent in the countryside. Born in a big town, raised in it, living in the biggest city proper in the world now, just all the tiny village shite in the middle was a colossal contributor to my SA and indeed myriad mental health issues in general.

The city didn't sicken me, it saved me.
Old 12th October 2015, 22:16

Mood
Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Buoys
I think biscuits hit the nail on the head twice there. Everyone's in your face in the city, and there's more opportunities to challenge yourself. They go hand in hand - not only are there opportunities, you're almost forced to. That's a very good thing. I'd also, somewhat contradicting myself here, argue that there's also more comfort in avoidance in the city. Despite what childhood games may have taught you, you can't hide in the countryside. If someone sees you there, you're far more remarkable than one in a sea of many. You get to both get used to being around and making basic communication with many in the city, but can also blend in as just another bulb on the Christmas tree.

Never have I been more profoundly miserable than all the time in my life I've spent in the countryside. Born in a big town, raised in it, living in the biggest city proper in the world now, just all the tiny village shite in the middle was a colossal contributor to my SA and indeed myriad mental health issues in general.

The city didn't sicken me, it saved me.
This.
This exactly.

There is anonymity in city life. You don't get that in the countryside. You are profoundly more noticeable in a small town than in a city. In a city, you're a nobody. And that's fine by me.
Old 12th October 2015, 22:19
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

I lived in big towns/city as well as the country when growing up. I liked living in a small village but back then there was a good transport system. 34 years on the bus schedule has been decimated and living there without a car would be a lot more difficult.
Old 12th October 2015, 22:53

Mood
Alienated

I live in a medium sized town, which also has a couple of unis, so quite lively.
It's the right size to have a good community, but.you can have days where you're anonymous.
Old 13th October 2015, 10:15

My [uneducated] guess is it is more to do with the sorts of high stress non-practical jobs that people tend to work in city areas, rather than anything to do with cities specifically. Although for some people the pollution and noise and stress of being in such close proximity to others must be a huge factor. And if you're the social type then I can imagine the anonymity being a negative too.

I grew up in London and always thought fondly of it. Until that is I moved to an area which is just on the edge of Derbyshire countryside (rural areas nearby, very green, village-like community but still fairly suburban). Suddenly a huge cloud of anxiety was lifted from me, which is partly down to the fact I'm near so much wildlife and greenery. I even got myself an outdoors hands-on job and the difference it made to my well-being was immense. I do sometimes miss the anonymity but I love the fact it's so quiet here. Sometimes at night the only thing I can hear are owls. OWLS! In my street in London it was non-stop police cars and gang violence.

Having said all that I think a major factor in my getting beyond my SA was that I lived in a high population city and so meeting a wide range of people was easy. Organising meets was easy. Finding like-minded people was relatively easy (it's always difficult but you know what I mean). Finding clubs and activities to boost my social life was easy. My social life here has gone to poo but I'm quite grumpy these days and don't care, but if I had grown up here I'd have been extremely frustrated I imagine.
Old 13th October 2015, 12:10

there was some article suggesting that in cities causes an overactive part of the frontal brain- which is related to anxiety and depression.
That being said, lots more social opportunities in cities.
Old 13th October 2015, 16:09

Mood
Fine

I live in a city of just under 250 000 inhabitants and couldnt really see myself living anywhere smaller. And if Ime honest Id prefer living somewhere larger with more facilities , better public transport , and more anonimity.

Whilst living in the coutryside would be nice for the peace and quiet, walking, cycling etc, I think it would make my SA worse. Always think that everyone would know everyone elses buisness, and Id just hate that.

So its large cities for me.
Old 13th October 2015, 19:23

Mood
Gloomy

i hate living in London, i really hate some parts of London with a passion.
Nero coffee drinking, panini lunch eating, e-cigarette smoking, iphone swiping, skinny jean wearing residers make this place unbearable at times for me.
no passion, just image.

other parts of London are brilliant though, some really genuine people but it's becoming rarer and rarer.
Old 13th October 2015, 20:03
Banned

Old 14th October 2015, 23:41

Other than fresh air I see no benefit of countryside over the city,and even then a city has parks and green spaces. The facilities, the anonymity, the buzz, the convenience. I wouldn't want to to live in any other environment. Even being in the suburbs for me is crap.
Old 15th October 2015, 01:15

Mood
Tired

I would hate to live in a small village; unless it had good bus or train links with a last service around 11pm to a good quality town on city. Having lived in a small seaside town, and also having lived a year in Cardiff, I'll give my two-cents.

There's advantages and disadvantagse to both., regarding anonimity vs. the close-knit feel. The aninimity of a big city can be a curse and a blessing. The close-knit feel of a small community can also be a curse or a blessing. For me, the thought of being known in a small community for the wrong reasons makes it even more scary. I've heard that gossip can spread easily, but I uppose it depends on the community, as each one is different. As far as cities are concerned, it can feel very impersonal, cold and uncaring, but on the other hand, I suppose isolated encounters don't 'matter' as much as they do in a smaller community. I don't know whether anyone's felt this way.

My main complaint about small communities is lack of social opportunity. It's bad enough living in a seaside town, which brings me to my next note.

Seaside towns have got to be the WORST BLEND OF BOTH CITY AND COUNTRY in one package; the lack of social opportunities of the countryside (e.g. mostly catering to old people, with little beyond drinking), high out-migration of young people plus; the deprivation of inner cities; due to former hotel stock being converted to HMO's ,due to the decline in holiday trade due to package holidays, with undeirable types moving in, including ex cons, drug addicts.

I must say I preferred my year living in Cardiff 7 years ago, mainly for the social opportunities, which where I'm living now, is proving to be a total nightmare to meet new people my own age.
Old 15th October 2015, 10:56

A lovely example of city vs. more rural. Yesterday I was working outside my house and my neighbour came out and gave me a slice of cake. AWwwww yes mutha fukkin cake!! Meanwhile, my poor mum back in London has had to call police over her skanky neighbours being aggressive towards her.

Of course I'm generalising but it's a funny comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyBoy
Old 15th October 2015, 11:28

I've always lived in seaside town suburbs and they're alright I guess. I've developed more of a love of the coast as I've got older and had the means to get beyond the shabby 70s resort I live in. I can't stand cities. If I can't get away from people and absorb the greenery and nature alone, I go mad. The only city I like is Bath, but I couldn't live there. I hate London, there's just nothing there for me and living there would be like torture. It's fine going once or twice a year for the day, but that's my limit! The more isolated the place I live in, the better.
Old 15th October 2015, 11:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASSYman_Ian
Sorry to hear about your mum's experience, BM, but aggressive neighbours aren't just a city problem; I'm having that here right now - and because it's such a close-knit community, that means the whole village is on my case.

The only way I would get cake from my neighbour is having it pushed in my face!
Can I ask why they are being nasty? You don't have to answer. Is there anyone in the area on your side at least that you can speak to?