SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 25th March 2008, 21:22

Mood
Happy

Default Embarassing things SA has made you do?

This one was really silly. I went round my friend's house for dinner while we were still at school - we made chilli. We sat down to eat & the chilli was REALLY spicy - so much so my nose started to run. Here's the stupid part, I was so embarassed and scared of her parents (we were all sat round the table together & it was really quiet) that I was too shy to ask for a tissue. I just kept eating & the nose thing got worse & it must have gotten really obvious cos my friend asked suddenly "Would you like a tissue, Haylie?"

I didn't know whether I was more embarassed or relieved!

Please feel free to share your embarassing stories (& also to laugh at mine - I know I do!) :embarass:
Old 25th March 2008, 22:32

Mood
Cool

Default Re: Embarassing things SA has made you do?

Oh blimey yes, i used to be famous for doing embarassing, awkward things.

I remember at a birthday bash once drunkardly getting up to dance, once the dance floor was clear. Trouble was i was on my own, drunk and an awful dancer so just ended up making a fool of myself.
Old 25th March 2008, 22:33

In my last job the team leaders decided to get everyone together for a team building afternoon. It was office work where there was lots of files and we had to use cardboard boxes to stack paper in they decided to have a box making competition to see who could finish making so many boxes first. About 4 went at one time and it was really noisy as everyone started ripping these boxes apart to assemble them. I was dreading it coming to me and everyone was standing around in a circle cheering and stuff.

When it was my turn i was shaking sooo bad, i was on my second box when everyone else had finished putting their 4 together and then i hadn't put the 1st one together right even and people were laughing. It was like a bad dream. I can laugh about it now though. HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR :embarass:
Old 25th March 2008, 22:48

Leaving the room in the middle of a presentation at uni. I felt like I was about to pass out so I figured it would be better if I did it outside than in front of everyone! Obviously people came out to see what was going on, looking very concerned, and I just had to tell them I was feeling ill. Fortunately, no-one has ever brought it up again!
Old 26th March 2008, 04:09

i usually make a prat of myself by getting extremely drunk and making a complete ass of myself. and cringing the next day when it all slowly comes back to me.
Old 26th March 2008, 11:57

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozrena
This one was really silly. I went round my friend's house for dinner while we were still at school - we made chilli. We sat down to eat & the chilli was REALLY spicy - so much so my nose started to run. Here's the stupid part, I was so embarassed and scared of her parents (we were all sat round the table together & it was really quiet) that I was too shy to ask for a tissue. I just kept eating & the nose thing got worse & it must have gotten really obvious cos my friend asked suddenly "Would you like a tissue, Haylie?"

Please feel free to share your embarassing stories (& also to laugh at mine - I know I do!) :embarass:
Jeez I do this all the time! I recently did this at my stepsister's birthday party. A guy that I'd never met before noticed and went to the trouble of finding me a serviette. After I thought why didn't I just do that?
Old 26th March 2008, 19:35

Mood
Mondayblues

Crying at an interview. I cry when I get nervous and my bottom lip just trembles. Very embarrassing. I was only 17 at the time and it was the first time I realised I had a problem. When they asked me if I was ok, I told them it was because someone had just died! Haha.
Old 26th March 2008, 20:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozrena

I did the exact same thing with a jalepeno pepper. I was eating at my friend's house and her mother had cooked some yummy looking traditional Somalian rice with veg. I saw what looked like a non-spicy regular pepper and took one almight huge bite out of it. Within seconds my mouth was on fire and my eyes were watering. Once I realised that the pain wasn't subsiding I asked for a drink, but it took me ages to pluck up the courage! :embarass:
Old 26th March 2008, 20:22

Mood
Worried

That telly thing i did last month was pretty embarassing. Not at the time cause i was in such a mood. But later that day i looked back and thought oh god i just embarassed myself in front of two semi-cute guys from anglia tv! :embarass:

Bad bad day.

Oh and one time i was playing a board game with some friends and i had to pee but we were talking and i didnt wanna seem rude by getting up and going to the loo so i kept the convo going and suddenly one of my friends did such a funny impression of a teacher at our school and i um..wee'd myself =-s :embarass:
Old 26th March 2008, 20:54

Mood
Bored

Years ago walking home from school i disliked walking the street way home, or the busy road way so i walked across a local field,which is owned by MOD and half way across field could see army was on and the public were meant to be off. Needless to say,I kind of ran the way back i had came and got slightly worried about becoming a target:embarass:
Old 27th March 2008, 11:49
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by misslaura
Years ago walking home from school i disliked walking the street way home, or the busy road way so i walked across a local field,which is owned by MOD and half way across field could see army was on and the public were meant to be off. Needless to say,I kind of ran the way back i had came and got slightly worried about becoming a target:embarass:
i sh!t myself and pissed myself on two seperate occasions cos i was too scared to ask to go to the toilet, but i was only about 6 years old at the time though
Old 27th March 2008, 17:14

Mood
Pensive

I think the teenage years were the worst for me. I used to get changed in the toilet for gym lessons because I didn't want the other girls to see my body which was underdeveloped for my age and also I had a deformity which I was very self-conscious about. Alternatively I would wear my gym shirt under my school blouse in preparation so I just had to take my blouse off rather than reveal myself.
Old 27th March 2008, 22:25

Mood
Alienated

one time that makes me cringe thinking about it was many years ago I was in the pub with my brother, some of his friends & some people I knew. There was a lull in the conversation..& so I blurtingly introduced one of my brother's friends to a girl I knew who was standing next to me. Everyone went quiet & awkward & another of his mates said..."well done, you've just introduced him to his girlfriend!". :embarass: :embarass: & then everyone laughed at me
Old 28th March 2008, 01:41

I walked into a room at a friends house and there was a woman I had never met holding a small child. The child looked straight at me and said "dada"! Without thinking I said "god, I hope not" ...:embarass: :embarass: :embarass:
Old 28th March 2008, 09:56

Mood
Inspired

"Leaving the room in the middle of a presentation at uni. I felt like I was about to pass out so I figured it would be better if I did it outside than in front of everyone! Obviously people came out to see what was going on, looking very concerned, and I just had to tell them I was feeling ill. Fortunately, no-one has ever brought it up again!"

I'm glad you posted this one as it shows what generally happens when someone is ill or faints . People are concerned and don't think badly of the fainting person.
Quite a few people with Sa or panic symptems imagine that people are going to criticise or dislike them if they have some kind of break down or fainting fit.
Old 31st March 2008, 14:33

Mood
Mellow

Good thread!

When my parents were getting the driveway done, I had to go outside for something - I didn't realise there was a wire outside the door and my shoe flipped off - I was really embarrassed in case anyone had seen me so I went back inside - a wee while later the driveway guy rang the doorbell to ask for something and said 'here's your shoe' - my sister finds this incident soooooooo funny (it kind of was) :embarass:
Old 31st March 2008, 15:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsung
I walked into a room at a friends house and there was a woman I had never met holding a small child. The child looked straight at me and said "dada"! Without thinking I said "god, I hope not" ...:embarass: :embarass: :embarass:

That's not embarrassing - it's witty!
Old 31st March 2008, 19:39

Mood
Worried

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsome
I think the teenage years were the worst for me. I used to get changed in the toilet for gym lessons because I didn't want the other girls to see my body which was underdeveloped for my age and also I had a deformity which I was very self-conscious about. Alternatively I would wear my gym shirt under my school blouse in preparation so I just had to take my blouse off rather than reveal myself.
I used to do the same. I HATED and feared gym and PE sooo much just becauase of the getting changed before and after. I used every excuse in the book to get out of it!
Old 1st April 2008, 14:06

Mood
Worried

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlwiththeradioheart
I used to do the same. I HATED and feared gym and PE sooo much just becauase of the getting changed before and after. I used every excuse in the book to get out of it!
Same here. I especially hated getting changed to go swimming cause they made us use one big room to get dressed in even though we were like 12 and not little kids =-s.
And they had this stupid '4 minute' thing where people had to get changed in 4minutes. I couldnt do it. I threw a bloody fit once cause they were like shooing us out the changing rooms. I went mad and ended up in floods of tears in the corner of the room. Fun times.
Old 1st April 2008, 16:19

Mood
Worried

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyDoll
Same here. I especially hated getting changed to go swimming cause they made us use one big room to get dressed in even though we were like 12 and not little kids =-s.
And they had this stupid '4 minute' thing where people had to get changed in 4minutes. I couldnt do it. I threw a bloody fit once cause they were like shooing us out the changing rooms. I went mad and ended up in floods of tears in the corner of the room. Fun times.
Oh that's horrible, poor you. I think it's really cruel making teenage girls get changed together like that. Girls can be so bitchy at that age and it made me more self-conscious and paranoid I was overweight and ugly when I really wasn't. Gymnastics was the worst thing. GYM KNICKERS. ARGH. We had to wear just those and a t-shirt, lol, we weren't even allowed to wear a PE skirt over them and this was until the age of about 13. It's child cruelty it is.

Fun times indeed!
Old 1st April 2008, 23:55

Not something that SA made me do but something I really think contributed to my SA - I was in a shop once, the kind that has lots of little knick-nacks and jewellry and stuff - and it was when I was in school so I had my big plastic art folder with me, the see-through kind that are flat with a plastic handle at the top (if you did art coursework at school in the last decade you probably know what sort I mean) and when my friend went up to the counter to pay for something, I was waiting with her, and somehow caught with the edge of my art folder one of those stands full or earrings, the sort which are just a flat sheet with lots of little holes in, not attached in any other way, and they went ALL OVER the floor, hundreds of the little things, all out of thier pairs. The shop assistant went all tight lipped and when I tried to help pick them up shooed us away. I guess I was 15 at the time - almost 7 years ago - but I didnlt go into that shop for about two years afterwards (even though it used to be my favourite place to buy presents) and even now I think of it every now and again and feel sick with embaressment. The reason I think it contributed to my SA is that 1. I was SO horribly embarassed, even though it was an innocent accident 2. I don;t think it is natural to be so obsessed witha single incident this lng after it happened when the other people involved have probably totally forgotten that it ever happened 3. I find shops the most terrifying environments - even though in a way I enjoy shopping because I like finding beautiful things, especially presents, but I have a total obsession with thinking about what the shopping assistants are thinking about me - what is she doing here/why is she by herself/ why does she look so miserable-furtive-suspicious/maybe shes a shoplifter etc. Asking shop assistants questions or returning items or anything like that are situations which invariably make me go completely SA, and I dwell on them for ages afterwards...
Old 3rd April 2008, 00:05

This happened years ago but i can still remember it clearly, it was a Presentation, i was so nervous, dry mouth, sweaty palms, unsettled stomach, red face. I got up from my chair as it was my turn to tell everyone in the class what i wanted to say and i vomited all over the table. I quickly turned and put my head between my legs and carried on being sick while everyone either looked on in amazement or laughed. The teacher moved everyone through into the other room bringing me back some tissue. She asked "Have you being feeling ill all day, or is it because of the presentation" of course it was the presentation but i could not admit it to her so i said i was ill and i was then sent home. lol
Old 3rd April 2008, 01:04

Mood
Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by david mckenna
i sh!t myself and pissed myself on two seperate occasions cos i was too scared to ask to go to the toilet, but i was only about 6 years old at the time though
I don't remember shitting myself but I did piss myself on at least one occasion for exactly the same reason. Almost made it through the entire lesson without anyone noticing the puddle I was sitting in...
Closed Thread