SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 20th April 2008, 14:47

Mood
Bookworm

Default Daydreaming

Hello,

This may sound a bit weird but I was wondering if people with SA daydream a lot. I find that I daydream about being somebody else with a completely different life as in more confident etc and when I am depressed the level of dreaming increases. I know that this stuff is untrue like for example I am not rich or in a rock band or anything like that but it now feels that I spend more time going dreaming then perhaps doing something with my own life. Having SA means that I get depressed and stuff like but this is something I should be doing when I am 13 not 30. Does anybody else find themselves wishing they were someone else when things are bad for them?
Old 20th April 2008, 14:49

Default Re: Daydreaming

I daydream heaps and always have done, and I am now in my early 30s! Yeah, I think it is classic escapism behaviour.
Old 20th April 2008, 14:52
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif Erikson
Hello,

This may sound a bit weird but I was wondering if people with SA daydream a lot. I find that I daydream about being somebody else with a completely different life as in more confident etc and when I am depressed the level of dreaming increases. I know that this stuff is untrue like for example I am not rich or in a rock band or anything like that but it now feels that I spend more time going dreaming then perhaps doing something with my own life. Having SA means that I get depressed and stuff like but this is something I should be doing when I am 13 not 30. Does anybody else find themselves wishing they were someone else when things are bad for them?
i think ull find thats its very common. people with sa usually live in their own little world and retreat into fantasy. whilst everyone else is in the moment, living life and so involved in life people with sa sit on the side lines engrosed in thier own thoughts. whilst everyone else is out living sa sufferers stay at home and do stuff like watch t.v, use the computer, day dream about how they want their life to be, how they want to be different.

people with sa are usually very good at day dreaming their ideal life but poor at putting their dreams into action in the real world
Old 20th April 2008, 15:01

Mood
Bookworm

Thanks for your posts - at one point I thought I was psychotic even though I know it is my imagination! I am in my early 30s too!
Old 20th April 2008, 15:08
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for your posts - at one point I thought I was psychotic even though I know it is my imagination! I am in my early 30s too!
its completely normal.
Old 20th April 2008, 15:34

I do that a lot too. way too much. Sometimes I worry I'll wake up in 10 years in the same situation I am now because I dreamnt my life away and did nothing. I know a lot of social phobics who do that. It's a form of escapism. It feels better at the time than have to face another awful day. At least we have an idea what we want.. we just really need to start taking action!
Old 20th April 2008, 16:00
Banned (at own request)

Mood
Cheerful

My heads in the clouds a lot of the time. I feel I shouldn't do it, it's unproductive and I think it achieves nothing. Or does it? hmm. Like you said they're always unrealistic, where I'll depict a really confident version of myself living out my wildest dreams. I guess when these dreams turn realistic they no longer become dreams, and you're back in reality.
Old 20th April 2008, 16:56

Quote:
Hello,

Im so glad you've posted this. I do this a lot and have always thought i was mad . Its an escape. My life is so boring, i daydream all the time and imagine myself as someone with a really great life, a life that i wish i led.
I often think to myself how stupid it is but in a way, it makes me really determined to get over my problems, so i can actually have that life, not just live it in my head.
Old 20th April 2008, 18:20

Mood
Worried

I'm glad this has been posted. I am nearly always daydreaming and lost in my thoughts to the extent that I can quite easily waste an entire day lost in my own little world :S I think...well, I *know* I've underacheived a lot at school and university because of it. Not sure what I can do about it really. I'd rather live my imaginary life than my real one a lot of the time.
Old 20th April 2008, 18:23

well, like everyone else who replied, and probably a lot of the others in this site, i also daydream a lot.

yes, it is a form of escapism. but i think it has a positive too. since sa people mostly have their own worlds, i believe they could also be hyper-creative, and usually developed talents in the fields of music, arts and writing.
Old 20th April 2008, 19:42

Yeah that happens sometimes....

Especially at the age I am now and the people I'm surrounded with I feel like I live a very boring life. Other people are partying and having fun. They're living it while I'm dreaming of how it's like to be like them....again.
Old 20th April 2008, 21:20

I do it way too much, I actually get frustrated if I don't do it in a while, its like its something I NEED to do, I literally spend most of my time doing it, I know its really unhealthy but I just cant stop
Old 24th April 2008, 13:59

Mood
Confused

I'm very similar to Eclipse in that especially in the mornings i love to wake up really early and have a few hours of fantasizing about various different scenarios in which im a different person..sometimes even a different age and sex..i also do the same a lot of evenings when im home from work..i.e i just go to bed with the lights out and drift off into a different life..its common for people with avoidant personalities to dream about what they really want in their real life. It's like an addiction and if Im with people for a long time I feel an urge to get away just to relax and daydream.
Old 24th April 2008, 14:02

Mood
Dreaming

I don't as much now, but when I was a teenager and was lonely/depressed I used to day dream a LOT! Spent my whole school years daydreaming... the daydream world can be fun though. I kind of miss it as I spend a lot less time there these days. Used to have such fun adventures.
Old 24th April 2008, 14:19

Yeah I do this a lot too, and then someone will be stood right in front of me trying to get my attention and I won't see them because I'll be in my own little world
Old 24th April 2008, 16:10

Mood
Worried

Yeah, I'm always daydreaming.
Old 24th April 2008, 16:36

Mood
Lurking

I daydream all the time, especially in school. I miss vital information at times. My French teacher (who I despise) always picks on the times when I am daydreaming, and tells me to 'snap out of it'.
Old 24th April 2008, 18:23

All the time- people have to work hard to get my attention!
My friends have even nicknamed me 'little miss vacant' lol.
Old 25th April 2008, 16:32

Mood
Mondayblues

I do a lot now, but never used to before SA started to affect me as I was always too busy thinking other things. Now I have plenty of time for daydreaming. I dream a lot about what I'd do if I won the lotto, and when I've had a bad arguement with my folks I always think about just getting in my car and taking off. I dream of packing my bags and travelling different countries. Shame I have SA otherwise I would!
Old 26th April 2008, 16:22
Banned at own request

Mood
Doh

I used to all the time, especially at school, sometimes about myself, sometimes about people I knew and sometimes about other things.

Sometimes I wish I'd written some of those daydreams down and tried to make them into books. After all, JK Rowling did nothing but daydream about a whole fantasy world when she was a single mother, and look at what happened then!

Not so much connected with daydreaming, but a lot of the time I have songs going round and round my head (what I've heard called 'earworms'). Half of the time it's flippin' Rehab which is a song I can't stand.

I'm sure this isn't normal.
Old 27th April 2008, 23:55
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiegirl1980
Not so much connected with daydreaming, but a lot of the time I have songs going round and round my head (what I've heard called 'earworms'). Half of the time it's flippin' Rehab which is a song I can't stand.

I'm sure this isn't normal.
OMG that song i just end up singing it in my head some days I do sing some random songs in my head alot, usually ones i'm afraid to admit:rolleyes:
Liking the term earworms!
Old 30th April 2008, 18:05
Banned at own request

Mood
Doh

Well, thank goodness someone else has this, I thought it was just me.

I know a good joke on the subject of earworms:

A man went to the doctors and said 'Doctor, I keep hearing
Deliah and The Green, Green, Grass of Home in my head all day long. What's wrong with me?'

'That sounds like Tom Jones Syndrome' said the doctor.

'Is that quite common then?' asked the man.

'Well , It's Not Unusual' came the reply.

I'll get me coat.
Old 30th April 2008, 18:39
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiegirl1980
Well, thank goodness someone else has this, I thought it was just me.

I know a good joke on the subject of earworms:

A man went to the doctors and said 'Doctor, I keep hearing
Deliah and The Green, Green, Grass of Home in my head all day long. What's wrong with me?'

'That sounds like Tom Jones Syndrome' said the doctor.

'Is that quite common then?' asked the man.

'Well , It's Not Unusual' came the reply.

I'll get me coat.
and make sure you close the door after you

I find that if i am in the rush especially in the morning when i have some random songs in my head i end up singing it faster!
Old 2nd May 2008, 02:05

I daydream a lot too, i always have though. I thought it was completely normal until i was told otherwise lol. Apparently daydreaming and reading for 6/7 hours a day is my form of escape. I got told to write stuff down though. It really helps me put things in perspective and set goals for myself.
Closed Thread