SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 17th December 2023, 21:10

Mood
Pensive

Default Re: How is everyone feeling? (31)

If it's type 2 diabetes, it can absolutely help to lose weight. The NHS treat type 2 as a chronic life long illness, when if fact it can be completely reversed with weight loss and exercise. They haven't quite caught up with the latest research at most doctor's surgeries and it's worth doing your own research, as I did.

I speak from experience and I lost a considerable amount of weight when I was given my diagnosis, and never went on any meds.

I let my weight creep back up, but am working on that at the moment. I'm still just inside the normal threshold though at my last blood test.
Old 17th December 2023, 21:24

Well done on the weight loss, I don't know what to say, life is tough, I keep meaning to do yoga myself.
Old 17th December 2023, 22:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.H.I.N.O.
If it's type 2 diabetes, it can absolutely help to lose weight. The NHS treat type 2 as a chronic life long illness, when if fact it can be completely reversed with weight loss and exercise. They haven't quite caught up with the latest research at most doctor's surgeries and it's worth doing your own research, as I did.

I speak from experience and I lost a considerable amount of weight when I was given my diagnosis, and never went on any meds.

I let my weight creep back up, but am working on that at the moment. I'm still just inside the normal threshold though at my last blood test.
Yes it's type 2. My HbA1c level was 50 at diagnosis, which is at the lower end of the scale. I know you can put it into remission. Hopefully, I'll manage to like you have. Well done with that! I've been using the Diabetes UK website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirgirl
Well done on the weight loss, I don't know what to say, life is tough, I keep meaning to do yoga myself.

Yes, life is tough, and having mental health issues makes it so much more difficult to cope with.
Old 17th December 2023, 22:14

Mood
Pensive

Not all GP's have caught up with the latest research yet, and only the other day, I was reading an article about a doctor in a poor part of the country who almost quit being a GP because his patient list was rife with type 2 and he felt he was fighting a losing battle until he spoke to one of his patients who had gone off and reversed her own with diet and exercise. I had pretty much the same reaction from the diabetes nurse when I suggested she was giving people wrong information. The causes are not about sugar, but more about fat content and storage in the organs.

Try this guy for starters, and there are plenty of others with similar conclusions.

https://from.ncl.ac.uk/discovering-c...tes-roy-taylor
Old 17th December 2023, 22:54

^ Very interesting, thanks for the link. I'll have a good read.
Old 18th December 2023, 18:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.H.I.N.O.
Try this guy for starters, and there are plenty of others with similar conclusions.

https://from.ncl.ac.uk/discovering-c...tes-roy-taylor
A very interesting read and certainly gives some hope.
Old 24th December 2023, 10:51

Mood
Musical

Take Care Lee

This year i think i've struggled with my mental health somewhat especially the last 2 months some days i 've struggled to get out of bed and put on the brave face i do and go to work hopefully i can reset my mind for the the new year and think positive well hears hoping.....

wishing everyone :wsanta :
Old 24th December 2023, 18:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by T
Take Care Lee
You too, Trev
Old 25th December 2023, 16:51

Stuffed can't move.
Old 26th December 2023, 18:11

Sadly, had the worst Christmas Day I've ever had. Had a mental meltdown and had to spend most of the day in bed, leaving my mum on her own. I just couldn't handle pretending to be ok and happy when I'm not. She was on the verge of calling medical help for me but I begged her not to. I tried to put an act on but was completely overwhelmed. I knew I was going to struggle with Christmas Day.

I managed to get back up in the evening and sit with her in front of the TV but I felt so bad for her despite her telling me she totally understood.

Its no fun being a bit mental.
Old 26th December 2023, 18:31

I'm sorry you had such a rough day, Lee How are you feeling today?

I'm grateful that I can be by myself on Christmas Day and birthdays, so I can treat them like any other day. It's horrible feeling like you're letting anyone down by not being able to flip a switch and be in a good mood.
Old 26th December 2023, 18:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merritt
I'm sorry you had such a rough day, Lee How are you feeling today?

I'm grateful that I can be by myself on Christmas Day and birthdays, so I can treat them like any other day. It's horrible feeling like you're letting anyone down by not being able to flip a switch and be in a good mood.
Thanks, Luke

Still feeling dodgy but glad Christmas Day is over with. I try to tell myself that it's OK to not be OK.
Old 26th December 2023, 18:45

I'm sorry to hear that, Lee! I would take one day at a time and reach out for support when you need to. Sending the best to you!
Old 26th December 2023, 18:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess&Junkfood
I'm sorry to hear that, Lee! I would take one day at a time and reach out for support when you need to. Sending the best to you!
Thanks, mate, I take hour by hour. I think I'll go back to see the GP before too long.
Old 26th December 2023, 19:31

Mood
Cynical

Sorry you had such a difficult Christmas day Lee going back to see your GP sounds like a good idea.
Old 26th December 2023, 20:45

So sorry to hear that Lee. I hope you're feeling better now. The forced jollity and social expectations of Christmas are tough for those of us with issues. Take care
Old 26th December 2023, 21:41

^ Thank you both
Old 29th December 2023, 13:49

Mood
Pensive

Big hugs Lee
Old 29th December 2023, 17:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azalea
Big hugs Lee
Thanks, Diane
Old 29th December 2023, 19:41

Thinking of you, Lee
Old 29th December 2023, 21:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
Thinking of you, Lee
Many thanks
Old 30th December 2023, 23:24

^ Really sorry you've been struggling, sir. Hope the new year gets brighter.
Old 31st December 2023, 00:05

Like I constantly need a wee today and I do actually need a substantial wee each time I go!

I spent most of the day in water and it feels like my body has taken in a swimming pool's worth of water.
Old 31st December 2023, 17:07

I feel very middle of the road. Not happy, not sad. Content I guess. I think I’m still recovering from the dreadful Boxing Day with the family. It went 10X worse than I anticipated. Pretty much took shelter chatting with my brother in law upstairs to avoid the constant noise and bickering of teenagers. I really dislike my brother in law- for context on how bad it must of been for me to want to spend 1-1 time with him! :D Its times like this I wish I had an excuse not to be a plus 1 to my mum. Still, I watched ‘Four Christmas’s’ the next day at home and it made me chuckle as it was very much like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee S
……..

and then the restless-leg syndrome often rears its ugly head just to add to the torture.

I used to have very good dexterity in my hands, but now my hands shake when I try to do simple things and it makes me clumsy, my arms seem to move in jerky movements too and they don't feel 'right', especially my left arm. When paying for things in shops, my hands shake. I feel constantly tired and weak. Washing the dishes will exhaust me.

I am a born-worrier and fret over everything, but being recently diagnosed with diabetes and kidney disease has scared the hell out of me and made me even worse. Medical appointments wear me down….

I don’t know much about how Diabetes and Kidney disease affects the body but some of your symptoms sound like they could also be neurological alongside your other conditions.

I feel your frustration with medical appointments. Even when they are just generic check ups for things we’ve long been diagnosed with, they can be quite deflating and emotionally troubling. Hospital appointments can be beneficial for me as they force me out but they also can fill a whole month or two with just dread where I’m counting down the days to go so I feel you on how energy zapping they can be.
Old 31st December 2023, 18:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackflies
I feel very middle of the road. Not happy, not sad. Content I guess. I think I’m still recovering from the dreadful Boxing Day with the family. It went 10X worse than I anticipated. Pretty much took shelter chatting with my brother in law upstairs to avoid the constant noise and bickering of teenagers. I really dislike my brother in law- for context on how bad it must of been for me to want to spend 1-1 time with him!
Sorry for the bad time with your family, but at least you came through it okay.
Content is good. I’m not sure I’ve ever felt content...

I feel lonely, angry, unmotivated, and in need of emotional support, but there is no one who can give it to me at the level I need it. My family is useless for that. They speak an entirely different emotional language. Or maybe they are almost emotional mutes. I feel like I need to sit down with like-minded people suffering similarly to me and talk it out for hours — and I still wouldn’t be done. But I have no one like that in my life. And I’m no good at opening up online either. I feel emotionally and intellectually starved. What I really need is a good support group, I suppose, but those are hard or impossible to find in my area.
Old 31st December 2023, 19:23

^ support groups run by professionals are hard to come by. I found one run by a charity but it's zoom based *gulp*. Would you prefer zoom or in person?

Sorry that you had a troublesome Christmas, Blackflies . Glad you had a little refuge but also rubbish that it was with someone you're not the biggest fan of!

NeverWas - also hope you have mudguards in this weather, love!
Old 31st December 2023, 21:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appear
^ Really sorry you've been struggling, sir. Hope the new year gets brighter.
Thanks, Zak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackflies
I don’t know much about how Diabetes and Kidney disease affects the body but some of your symptoms sound like they could also be neurological alongside your other conditions.

I feel your frustration with medical appointments. Even when they are just generic check ups for things we’ve long been diagnosed with, they can be quite deflating and emotionally troubling. Hospital appointments can be beneficial for me as they force me out but they also can fill a whole month or two with just dread where I’m counting down the days to go so I feel you on how energy zapping they can be.
Yes, that's what worries me. I am going to see the GP soon about it.

Sorry you had a bit of a rubbish time at Christmas too.

For anyone feeling low
Old 1st January 2024, 11:11

Old 1st January 2024, 13:50

Mood
Alienated

Feeling incredibly low.

I feel so stuck in my life. Stuck in a poorly paid and stressful job and I have no idea how to get out of it. I feel stuck in my house, still living with Mum. There’s no way I can afford to have my own place, unless I had a partner. And I’m stuck with that too - no idea why no one has ever been interested in me. Stuck in this shit disgusting society full of selfishness and hate. My mental health - mainly depression, is worsening and so is my physical disability. I don’t know how to change any of this. I don’t know why life can’t be mostly good, rather than mostly rubbish. I feel so incredibly alone too. This is the only place I can talk about this.
Old 1st January 2024, 14:13

Mood
Cynical

^ Sorry you're feeling so low and stuck right now Tembo. Had you thought of working abroad for a period of time? I know it would be a big change but you've travelled a lot before and to just be somewhere that you like more for a while could be good.