SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 4th January 2010, 00:12

Location: currently devon cornwall cornwall devon are. Anywhere i feel like moving too :)

Mood
Veggedout

Default I have my ESA tribunal soon.. eek

I'm well nervous..

I'm not going to go into too deeper conversation about it here just in-case someone important reads this (got to be careful before the tribunal, you never know who reads this) but...

Have my tribunal in a few days, I have a pretty dam tight case against them, but am pretty anxious about it.

I want to go back to work but not just right now as I have to get through my therapy 1st as i can be quite unstable with people at times.
Anyway after they the DWP and the idiots at ATOS Medical ignored all my medical reports and that im in waiting lists for treatment and including brain scans (haha to see if there is anything in me head) have said I'm fit for work. They rejected my written appeal even though their letters contradict themselves completely its finally come to the tribunal..

Im pretty dam organized with a lot of papers information and reports from medical panels etc and letters from my case worker. But I may have to represent myself on my own on the panel, unless i can get someone to come with me.. eeek
How hard is this going to be but i have to do it.

Anyone else in the same boat? or been through the mill?
Ive jumped though all the hoops they have set for me attended all meetings and been on the stupid pathways courses, hopefully cross fingers I can win this..
Old 4th January 2010, 00:42

Mood
Fine

Default Re: I have my ESA tribunal soon.. eek

I had one of these about 18 months ago... I found the Citizens Advice Bureau really helpful, they did most of the paperwork for me and even came with me to the hearing.... the DWP didn't even turn up!

Good luck with it mate, hope it goes in your favour.
Old 4th January 2010, 09:42

Mood
Creative

I had one about a DLA claim, it's like court and they grill you, make sure you get citizens advice to sort out some kind of representation for you. I failed to reverse the decision but it was for a different illness than SA or mental health issues
Old 4th January 2010, 11:48

Mood
Apelike

i've recently gone on to benefits and i'm trying to settle into the idea that they won't kick me off them before i'm ready - i don't envy you

i reckon if if they try to make me work full time again i'll be hospitalised within a week, more likely 2-3 days. hopefully telling them that will help maintain the status quo.

really sorry for what you are going through, i'm sure its the last thing you need.
Old 4th January 2010, 17:20

Mood
Busy

Whatever you do don't attend the tribunal without representation! Contact CAB or Welfare Rights. Provide as much supporting evidence as you can from your GP, therapist etc and be prepared to be 'grilled' about your condition. It is not a pleasant experience but I wish you luck. If it's any comfort to you I have been through three appeals over the years and won each one.
Old 4th January 2010, 18:13

Mood
Confused

Hi there!
I too am appealing against my ESA decision- I failed my so called 'medical assessment', even tho it lasted a whole 10 minutes and the doctor only asked me 2 questions relating to my mental health- i got a big bundle of paperwork through the post on xmas eve saying that they were sticking to their original decision and that it is going to a tribunal now. I too am worried sick about this- I have depression, social phobia (for the last 11 years) and borderline personality disorder- I have severe anxiety, particularly when i have to speak to or meet people in authority, so I dont know how im going to cope at a tribunal- the thought alone makes me feel like being sick. Im being represented by the 'welfare benefits & money advice', who say ive a very good chance of winning, ive sent in all my psychiatrists reports on me etc- but im truly worried sick about it.xx
Old 4th January 2010, 18:48

Location: currently devon cornwall cornwall devon are. Anywhere i feel like moving too :)

Mood
Veggedout

Thanks for the messages, yeah it such a pain in the ass but got to do it. Well my rep now is my mum, as she is traveling down to see me, the dwp wont want to get on the wrong side of her hehehe.
But got quite a solid case against them.

The Atos medical was a farce, if
I had been over weight with half a tonne of leg ulcers then I might have got somewhere as she seemed to be concerned about how I got there and nothing else, plus she mentions a lot of problems I have in the reports and scored me zero? so work that out? I don't know they are just a bunch of idiotic fools.

Plus the dwp has messed me a round a hell of a lot in the paper work and dates etc, which has shown their incompetence, and a lot lot more. But if i end up turfed off esa and onto jsa, I'll stay on that till I'm through my therapy. Tough really on them i'll put up with their backlash.

A while ago the dwp/pathways sent me on a course about cv's & interviews we sat there and had to draw a person and then draw items of clothing on them as if they were going to an interview and label it hahahaha, seriously it was like a scene from the league of gentlemen and Paula's pens, rather pathetic to be honest.

The annoying thing is this country (for me) has a high reasonable amount of help doctors/charities etc for mental health but the governmental system is useless and the amount of hoops youve to jump through is a nightmare. Yes there a lot of people out there who take the piss and need to be routed out but theres a lot of genuine cases as well.

anyway rant rant
Old 4th January 2010, 20:58

Mood
Confused

Hi there!
The so called 'doctor' who assessed me only asked me 2 questions which were "how did you get here today?"(my dad brought me as he does everywhere) and "do you get very angry at times?"- seriously, those were the only 2 questions he asked me- it lasted about 10 minutes, in which time he was mostly just typing away on his computer! Im so angry that im having to go through this, its making my mental health much worse.x
Old 4th January 2010, 23:07

Mood
Veggedout

well chrissy coleman I think you have been totally fobbed off there by unprofessionals.
1. the medical assessment should last around 45 mins (mine did)
2. you should have been asked a whole range of questions from mental to physical
3. THE most important in the appeal process GET your hands on the medical assessors report and the scoring. As it will ahve all thier findings the scores and how long the assessment took place (mine does) just call up the esa job centre and request it.
4. CAB, get yourself a local case worker and set about on working a case against the dwp. and get copies of everything and make sure its organised

If you have done all of this then thats cool.. if not Im now a plethera of information on the system so just PM for more advise or just a natter if you want a rant

the dwp should have referred me to a local case worker company (legal aide) for help regarding my case but gave me a number for a company up north (who have been OK..ish), as i had to do it all over the phone when i could have walked into a local drop in centre. But being no one told me about them existing I didnt know what to do and followed their advise, as sometimes i cant think clearly. As im better face to face talking about stuff.

good luck

Good luck
Old 4th January 2010, 23:49

Mood
Creative

Oh yeah, when you have a medical, take a witness
Old 5th January 2010, 00:22

Mood
Veggedout

Quote:
Originally Posted by яemus
I was told that i couldnt bring in someone with me into the medical interview, except someone to take me there and back and wait for me in teh waiting room...
Old 5th January 2010, 08:36

Mood
Creative

I insisted that I needed a helper to help me to the room, I'm sure you could apply that to mental illness too
Old 5th January 2010, 09:58

Mood
Confused

Hi scruffpot (have i got that right?lol)
Because they didnt overturn their original decision and its going to a tribunal, they had to send me a copy of the assessors report in that big bundle of paperwork i mentioned, and the interview lasted a whole 14 minutes...........bloody ridiculous! In that time he was mostly typing away on his computer! Only asked me 2 questions. Took a note of what medication im on- im on 5 different ones-citalopram (anti-d's), quetiapine (anti-psychotics),propranalol (anti-anxiety),phenergan (sleeping pills) and lorazepam (to calm me down)- even the woman at the jobcentre was shocked at all the meds im on! How the hell did he come to the conclusion theres nothing wrong with my mental health when im on all those tablets???? Im being represented by my local welfare benefits and money advice, i have an appointment with them on the 15th jan, but im just *hitting myself about attending the tribunal- my hands start to shake and i feel sick just thinking about it-omg, i dont know how im gonna do it, i really dont.
Old 5th January 2010, 17:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by яemus
I second that. Grab onto any kind of support you can, like a mental health worker, CPN or someone to help state your case.
Old 5th January 2010, 18:19

Mood
Busy

Scruffpot, no disrespect to your mum, yes she can back up what you tell the tribunal panel about how your anxiety affects you, but I strongly recommend that you get someone from Welfare Rights or the CAB to represent you. They know case law when it comes to these decisions, how points are scored and the terminology that the DWP and the medical assessors use.
Old 5th January 2010, 18:23

Mood
Busy

Chrissy , I have sent you a pm I think! Let me know if you have received it
Old 5th January 2010, 19:20

Mood
Confused

Hi courageous.....
No, I havent recieved a pm from you?xx
Old 5th January 2010, 19:33

Mood
Veggedout

Quote:
Originally Posted by courageous
Scruffpot, no disrespect to your mum, yes she can back up what you tell the tribunal panel about how your anxiety affects you, but I strongly recommend that you get someone from Welfare Rights or the CAB to represent you. They know case law when it comes to these decisions, how points are scored and the terminology that the DWP and the medical assessors use.
thats ok i understand, however I asked a lot of people from all different types of chairties and help groups and the cab and no one is avaliable or wants to come with me to it. however they offered to go over my paper work before the date. As I have been told there is not the funding to send someone with me.
Thats ok about the scoring thing as I know a lot about that and some of the law as well as got a lot of info from the case worker and mind. Also i do have the gift of the gab sometimes as well .

however due to the weather condidtions I have asked today for a posponement on the tribunal as my mum has a long way to travel down and its a bit dangerous in the snow and ice, so waitiung to hear about it tomorrow. If they say no, i have MIND to give me a hand, as im not doing it on my own, and i will stand my ground against them.

Theres not a lot i can do at teh moment ive done the best i can do, and gota see what happens really.
Old 6th January 2010, 15:01

Mood
Veggedout

woo they all got posponed... that saves my bacon a bit..I love the snow
Old 6th January 2010, 19:49

Mood
Lurking

I went through one in jan 08.. i hated it.. i actually ended up crying cos i couldnt handle it :0p but you seem very organised and ready for it.. the only problem is with this illness its hard to prove youre not well if you have to fight so hard to prove it.. if you get me

i had my mum with me and my caseworker who ended up having to speak for me cos i was too upset ... embarrasing heh but either way i won the case..thankgod!!

Best of luck!
x
Old 7th January 2010, 15:14

Mood
Confused

Hi MiffyKoala!
Thats exactly what I think is going to happen at my tribunal in a couple of months.......I think Im gonna burst into tears, coz my anxiety is sooo bad around strangers, I just dont know how im going to cope? I can really see myself freaking out in there.....
Old 8th January 2010, 05:18

Mood
Lurking

Hi aww..well honestly.. if you have to cry then just do it.. they will realise it is hard for you.. i think it will work in your favour cos you clearly wont be faking.. i just felt i was being interegated n just felt awful n nervous..but that is to be expected really with SA.. just makes em so mad that they make us go through this.

I was worrying about mine for months b4 i went to it too.

The main reason they thought i was fit for work was cos i put on a front in the medical cos i was so embarrased to admit how bad i felt n stuff ..which was a dumb thing to do.. but i didnt realise how the points worked at that time.. it was my second medical.. but i was telling him that i felt i was 'maybe' ready for part time work.. i didnt realise there was a thing called 'permitted work'. ugh. the whole thing sucked.
The tribuneral thing doesnt last very long.. alot of it was a blur.. i said most of my point until i just broke down but the doctor in there made me try to finish answering some more until my caseworker made it clear i was unable to carry on. Then they decided to ask my mum her side of it and they let us go back outside til they made a decision.. which took bout 10 seconds heh.

So best of luck with it I really hope it goes ok.
Old 8th January 2010, 14:14

Mood
Confused

Hi MiffyKoala,
OMG, that sounds unbearable?Jesus, I dont know how im gonna do it, i really dont- i wudnt be so nervous if i had to explain myself infront of one person- but a panel of 3? thats my worst nightmare.the thought of it makes me feel like vomiting-god, imagine if i did on the day! i will be shaking like a leaf in there, think i'll get a full blown panic attack. Tell me, what exactly do they ask you in there???xx
Old 8th January 2010, 21:39

Mood
Lurking

Oh im sorry if i made it sound awful.. there is 2 people in there who speak to you... and another who is there for legal reasons i think..who doesnt say or seem like theyre payin attention hehe.. the others are a doctor to evaluate the medical questions and another..(i forget why he was there :p)

I had my mum and my caseworker in there with me to help me.

They basically go over the questions from the medical that you needed the points on to remain on the benefits again.

If you are representing yourself why dont u do what i did and request help from a independant caseworker(not sure what they are actually called).. im not overly sure how i got mine cos my parents sorted it for me and the caseworker came round a few months before the hearing to go the questions that i didnt get the points on and decided which few i was gona fight for.

I know its really scary but all it actually is.. now i can look back on it.. is a thorough more detailed medical just to prove you have to be on the benefits system.
xxxxxx
Old 14th January 2010, 22:02
Banned at own request

Mood
Relaxed

Just been to my medical today, what a waste of time that was, barely any of the questions relate to mental illness and I've no doubt I'm gonna be going through the same bs tribunal process that I went through 2 years ago. My favourite part of the interview was when he asked me if I watched TV and then proceeded to ask me if I watched comedies, sports or maybe drama? Exactly what does that have to do with my mental health? I was half expecting him to ask me if I'd recorded Eastenders the night before. I guess maybe watching game shows is a sure sign of paranoid schizophrenia....

What a f***ed up system it really is, I can understand them wanting to weed out people who shouldn't be claiming, but this is not the way to go about it and just screws over the honest claimants. In my state the last thing I need to be doing is worrying about whether the government are going to be stopping my benefits because some idiot in a suit asked me what my favourite TV shows were.
Old 15th January 2010, 15:40

Mood
Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkeh
Just been to my medical today, what a waste of time that was, barely any of the questions relate to mental illness and I've no doubt I'm gonna be going through the same bs tribunal process that I went through 2 years ago. My favourite part of the interview was when he asked me if I watched TV and then proceeded to ask me if I watched comedies, sports or maybe drama? Exactly what does that have to do with my mental health? I was half expecting him to ask me if I'd recorded Eastenders the night before. I guess maybe watching game shows is a sure sign of paranoid schizophrenia....

What a f***ed up system it really is, I can understand them wanting to weed out people who shouldn't be claiming, but this is not the way to go about it and just screws over the honest claimants. In my state the last thing I need to be doing is worrying about whether the government are going to be stopping my benefits because some idiot in a suit asked me what my favourite TV shows were.
Hi Munkeh,
Dont worry, ur not alone, the Dr in my medical only asked me 2 questions relating to my mental health and it was done within 10 mins. I just met with my rep today and he thinks Im going to win my tribunal- he said they wudnt have taken on my case if they thought I was going to lose, so, its made me feel more relaxed. My advice would be get a good representitive, its vital, I feel lucky to have mine.x
Old 30th January 2011, 21:33

Mood
Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Moment
Just a question for those of you who had an assessment for ESA and got turned down. Did you get any payment at all for the time between your original claim and your appeal? Do you basically go without money for a period of months while they mess you around and drag you through the appeals process?
I was passed fit for work, and chose not to appeal, I wanted to see what help they would give me in getting back to work, as I feel 50% ready to.

After the assessment in November, I have stayed on ESA, and have continued to be paid ( more than before the assessment ) and without the need for further doctors notes either.
Soon, apparently I will have to attend meetings and courses, though I have heard nothing about this in the months since the assessment.

I am not sure if this is normal or they have forgotten about me

as far as receiving money whilst you appeal, you will need to continue getting doctors notes during the appeal process to get paid, iirc
Old 30th January 2011, 22:45

Mood
Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Moment
Does this mean that it is requisite / better to make the original application with a doctor's note / letter??
I am fairly sure to receive ESA in the first place you need a medical certificate from a doctor signing you off work, and continue to supply them ( if it is a short term certificate )
Old 4th February 2011, 20:46

Just some thoughts, Ive been through the process a few times over the years.

Firstly you go for a medical assessment, yes it doesnt last long, the letters used to say it was meant to last an hour, this was because they used to involve physical examinations, but really they only last as long as they take to ask a few questions.

They sit looking & typing away at their computer screens, if youre rude enough like me, you can ask them to show you the computer screen, you will see what they have in front of them arent questions but a few guides on things to talk about to get an overall view of how you can look after yourself, what your average day is like.
They decide what theyre going to ask you, so some of these questions may sound and be useless. like
them:what do you do all day
me: draw
them:what do you draw:
me:thats irrelevant to my ability to function.
you have to guide them and make sure that they write down the correct thing. however I guarantee whatever they ask you will be ignored at the tribunal and will be pointless.

What they will question you about at the tribunal will be what youve written down in the form you filled out.

In Between the medical and the tribunal, they will pay you a reduced amount. they didnt used to, but they do now. what you have to do to get this is simply continue to send medical certificates in. its worth ringing up the help line just to have them say, yes you can get money, they will send you a letter which has a reply slip to send the note back.

The tribunal, is like a court, simply because I think its where a lot of cases for different things are heard like immigration.

what you need to bring with you is the letter giving you the appointment time, and the big thick one with all your info, they also have the big thick one, and you only need it when they ask you to turn to certain pages to go over questions they have about what youve written in the questionnaire.

they have a metal detector at the entrance and will ask you to empty your pickets, walk through and put your things back in your pocket.

another counter where you tell them youre here for your appointment, they`ll tell you what room youre in, if youre unsure, ask them to show you, its a confusing place. there`ll be a seated area, someone may come out, they may not & you may have to knock on a door to let them know youre there.

they call you in, theres two desks, theyre opposite you. there maybe 2 or three of them in there. ones a doctor, others i dont remember.

generally starts with the question, has anything changed in your situation since you filled in the form, no.
doctor wants to ask a few questions. now this guy is trying to catch you out, he`ll twist your words and make you look like an idiot. so dont talk too fast, think about what hes asked you. he will ask, when it started, if there was anything that caused it, what u did before, how it affects you. this is the important question that you need to get them to understand and choose your words well, if you have panic attacks, they may ask you to define it.

So you really got to lay in on thick. if it looks like you dont really have a problem functioning, you will fail. thats his job, to make you fail, so you cant give them an inch.

when thats over with, they`ll go over the questionnaire you filled in.
This will differ for everyone, but my first year, I said things like, I have trouble sitting because I like to move around. trying to score extra points cos my score was always so low. they ask you if there anything medically stopping you from sitting down, you say no. you lose that point.
The questions are very black and white, whilst your situation may be the awkward grey area in between. and thats what you need to get across, theres nothing physically stopping you from functioning (bar panic attacks) but you have mental barriers that stop you functioning.

and thats it, you will either go back outside, or they will send the decision in the post.
if they make you wait outside, you will be asked back in, and there will be the decision on a piece of paper on the table where you were sat.

If youre deny`d you`ll understand why they have so much security.

And thats it, for a while, till the process starts again. you may get back pay, Im still waiting to see, may have to ring them again. but I hope that de-mistifies the process.
Old 7th February 2011, 14:52

Mood
Thinking

I had my medical assessment about two weeks ago now. I was feeling ookish on the day but i explained how i felt on my worst days because im always up and down. Then aboout a week ago a letter came said i had only scored 6 points when you need 15 to be classed as uncapable to work. I was really mad because the only thing they had given me points for was that i have to have someone take me places. Everything else i had talked about seemed like it had been totally ignored? Like the fact i feel anxious around people etc. They had scored me no points for anything else which is think is reall stupid tbh. I actually cried when i read it. Why did the man ignore what i said? Stupid! Now me and my mum are trying to appeal and im getting paid like 40 a week whilst they look at my case again. Oh and i would like to add when i went to the medical the man said they would be in touch with my doctor for more information and also my psychiatrist who i see every week or so but they didnt even get in touch with them. So i find them pretty rubbish tbh. Just extra hassel now.
Closed Thread