SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 18th February 2011, 18:38

Default Is this the right site for me?

Hi.
I'm brand new to this site and was wondering if this site is the right one for me...?

I'm an 18 year old male coming up 19 very soon, I have suffered from very mild anxiety for aslong as I can remember (but never really admited or spoke to anyone about it) but the last 4 years it has been getting progressively worse. More so in the last 18 months since I stopped my early teen habit of smoking (too fit in with the cool kids, haha).

I have started finding it hard to meet new people and feel unconfortable when going out and stuff. I also find that my confidence with the ladies has completely gone, Which isn't how it should be with someone at my age. I am still a virgin and have had virtually no sexual cpntact with a girl for atleast 2 1/3 - 3 years.

Anxiety was a possible diagnosis I got from the doctor about 3 weeks ago after suffering from on and off mild chest pain, palpitations, racing heart, limb ache and slight breathing difficulty after all the tests I have had have shown nothing. But this is the only doctor out of about 5 I have seen to mension anxiety as a possibility. Do these symptons sound firmiliar to people?

I also suffer from Irritable Bowel Syndrome and in year 8 or 9 at school I started getting uncontrollable attacks of needing to go to the toilet when I got anxious. Like with axams and stuff. Since then.. I now get anxious about having these kinds of embarassing attacks where ever I am, So pretty much when ever I am out of the house this is problem for me. Does this also sound firmiliar to people?

I have been given propanolol to take which has seemed to help my chest pain, palpitaions and aches quite alot. But not the breathing difficulty and my bowel problems. I'm going back to the doctors next week to discuss that further, But as i'm not very medically knowledgable I am nearly constantly worrying that I have a heart problem or something bad like that. Could this also be from anxiety?

Thanks for any help given,
Mike.
Old 18th February 2011, 20:14

Mood
Artistic

Default Re: Is this the right site for me?

Apparently people that suffer from anxiety are paranoid about their heart... I know I am. I always think i'm going to have a heart attack or a blood clot. I'm also *very* paraniod about my head o.O;;;

Even if you suffer from a little anxiety I think this place will do you good. It's nice to talk to people who get how you fee =]
Old 18th February 2011, 20:26

Yeah i use to worry i was going to have a heart attack, i use to get bad palpitations but then i started on propanolol, it worked well but i decided to come off it. I'm over the worry of having a heart attack now, mainly because i had been worring about it for years and it never happened so i got over it.
Old 18th February 2011, 20:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAnxiety
Yeah i use to worry i was going to have a heart attack, i use to get bad palpitations but then i started on propanolol, it worked well but i decided to come off it. I'm over the worry of having a heart attack now, mainly because i had been worring about it for years and it never happened so i got over it.
I also get chest pain and limb ache which is mostly in my left wrist or arm. Second most right arm and thridly left leg. Did you get any of that? As when it all happens together ( especially in my left arm ) it worries me. I know deep down that it probably isn't anything to worry about as I am still alive, it is very on and off ( sometimes the gap is months ) and that tests show that everything seems fine.
Old 21st February 2011, 20:56

Can anyone else add any info?
Old 24th February 2011, 22:45

Anyone? Especially regarding my bowel problems. They have to be causing me the most problems.
Old 26th February 2011, 20:14

Ibs is stress related. I used to get it horribly Colonic irrigation helped
Old 26th February 2011, 20:32

Mood
Alienated

i never saw this thread before..

you have listed a lot of problems ive had/have

ive had issues with nerves/stress and whatever since i started getting bullied at secondary school. Had numerous doctor visits for a whole host of things, ive had headaches that felt like parts of my head was on fire..or that there was burning liquid just under my skin or something stupid like that

went to hospital with that, had scans told there was nothing and it was just stress

had a bad time after a night out with friends when i was 15-16 came home and all of a suddent felt my heart beating all the time even though before i could never feel it unless i listened carefully with my hand on my chest from now on i can feel it all the time (makes trying to get to sleep horrible)

went to doctors with this, had beta blockers..yep propanolol also had ECG (i think thats it? ) which didnt see anything wrong...and had to wear things that recorded my heart beat for 24hrs, loads of cables with a box strapped to my waist that sucked! but again it didnt find anything of concern apparently. They said i had a heart murmur but then didnt really bring it up anymore.

Also had lots of stomach issues, pains cramps..swollen...constipation..the other, have had cramps so bad sometimes im practically rolling about on the floor...really bad when i get them in public and im killing myself trying to keep the pain to myself..

Had all the tests for this too...and they just said it was IBS, had some disgusting medication for it (forgot the name began with M..think) worst pills ever they nearly made me sick everytime i took one from the taste of them..blah!

my bowels are pretty much permantly swollen now down the lower left...ive been to doctors they have poked around and said they dont feel anything and i had some blood tests...i forgot what for..celiac disease and some other stuff i think...it all came about because i had blood coming out of..the back end and it scared the shite out of me (ho ho..no pun!) and there was some worry as my grandad died of bowel cancer but i went and got examined and it turned out it was the IBS messing me up and i had ripped ..someting from the strain...eww yeah well im on fibre drinks now...it helps my IBS a lot i can usually drink coffee now without dying in pain which is great! i still get swollen and when im really anxious i feel it all kicking off down there but what can you do

bloody stress!
Old 6th March 2011, 23:04

Forgot about my own thread :P

Yeh I get the pounding style palpitations. Also ones that feel like It skips a beat or ones that feel like an extra beat or a spasm type thing. My palpitations also sometime come with a mild pain which is usally brief like the palpitations itself. It's also very on and off. Some days I have none, Some days I have alot.

I do worry that I have like a heart problem aswell which probably doesn't help. Even though the doctors say I'm fine, I still fear it.

My IBS isn't so much pain, although I do get mild pain from time to time. Some food triggers it. I just need to go to the toilet alot when from what I believe is when I get anxious. And It has now got to the stage that pretty much when ever I am out of the house I get anxious about my IBS causing my problems/embarrasments which causes a vicious circle which has stopped my doing lots of things.

Do any other people suffer from similar things who may have tips/ideas?

Thanks, Mike.
Old 7th March 2011, 00:08

I have IBS. There are a few things which have been proven to work:

-diet, try to work out any trigger foods and avoid them (garlic and onions kill me, I like them but the attacks are so bad afterwards I simply had to cut them out)
-also diet: eat more soluble fibre (eg bananas). Or get it via supplements - the doctor prescribed me Fybogel with mebeverene (sp?) which is soluble fibre with an anti-spasmodic. The Fybogel was probably the most effective thing I've tried so far.
-exercise is good for IBS (although I'm bad at doing it)
-anything you can do to reduce stress - soothing music, going for a walk, etc might help. Anxiety reducing tablets like mirtazapine may have beneficial effects on IBS as well apparently (although I take mirtazapine & still have IBS, lol)

Also things like hypnotherapy and acupuncture have been suggested in various places, but as a sceptic about such things I'm not keen.

I've got one of Heather Van Vorous' books, she's an IBS sufferer and suggests lots of dietary changes which can help (whether you go the whole hog like she has depends on how severe your symptoms are). You can get her books off Amazon.

Hope these help.
Old 16th March 2011, 22:22

I haven't really noticed much in my diet that triggers my IBS, apart from a very cheap squash drink I drunk a few times untill I realised it didn't go down to well. Apart from that I just occasionally get bad days and anxiety always triggers it. It's got too the stage were I get anxious about everything that involves being away from a toilet or in a position that could cause imbarresment. I haven't learnt to drive yet because of it and I think it's time to get something done about it as it's putting my life on hold.

Any more helpful tips/suggestions?
Old 26th March 2011, 22:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_999
Any more helpful tips/suggestions?
Closed Thread