SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 18th March 2013, 12:34

Default Re: The Exercise Thread

One way to make even the hardest routines easy is just to breathe steadily as you do them, it takes your mind off the move and certain kinds of breathing like 'throat breath' in yoga burns calories as well.

I tend to stick to yoga, working in a bit of aerobics. Swimming and cycling I enjoy, dancing not so much, and I hate walking.
Old 18th March 2013, 17:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba
Been trying to jog a little whilst on walks but my right knee in particular is so fragile that I can barely manage 30 seconds before needing to stop. I've dislocated the kneecap twice and I'm worried about it happening again. I want to make it stronger but I don't really know how, it's a bit of a catch 22. I need to exercise to strengthen it but I can't exercise because it's so weak.
If your knee is causing you that much trouble then you should not be jogging on it - especially considering it's dislocated twice in the past! Speak to a doctor about it. Your doctor may refer you on to a physio, who'll be able to advise you on strengthening it. A private physio would be best, but obviously that's going to cost you.
Old 21st March 2013, 22:14
Banned at own request

I want to go into the circle of being more fitter and physically active but I always allow SA to stop me from being active despite feeling health focused

I'm am inactive 18 year old but I want to be more active and have no money for the gym. Cause of SA it feels impossible to exercise even at home since the only private place for me is my room and since thats upstairs my movements are easily heard. Tbh, this is so frustrating.

Can anyone suggest me with exercises or tips?
Old 22nd March 2013, 18:37

Progressing on those standing ab wheel rollouts but by god they're difficult! I want the form to be bang on, so I'm not cheating or pushing it too far. However, it'll be a while, I think, before I can say that I've done a full standing rollout with solid form.
Old 22nd March 2013, 18:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by retep
I want to go into the circle of being more fitter and physically active but I always allow SA to stop me from being active despite feeling health focused

I'm am inactive 18 year old but I want to be more active and have no money for the gym. Cause of SA it feels impossible to exercise even at home since the only private place for me is my room and since thats upstairs my movements are easily heard. Tbh, this is so frustrating.

Can anyone suggest me with exercises or tips?
Jogging doesn't cost anything! A pull-up bar is cheap and doesn't make any noise, and you can gain some great upper-body strength with that. Also, there's the ab wheel. Could also try some resistance bands for your door, as well. Again, cheap and won't really cause any noise.
Old 22nd March 2013, 20:21

Done 2 reps of 165... going for the 170. Wish me luck.

EDIT: smashed it! :D
Old 22nd March 2013, 22:42

^ Reps of what?

Exercise is great! Good for the mind/body/soul. Its legs day for me tomorro at the gym starting off with squats and then some isolation exercises.
Old 22nd March 2013, 22:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
^ Reps of what
165kg deadlift. I'd done several sets and reps of lower weight as a build up, though. 170kg,though...I'm stoked. :D
Old 22nd March 2013, 22:54

Good for you i done that at 6am this morning lol but not as heavy as im still trying to get my form spot on first then i'l start adding more weight.
Old 22nd March 2013, 23:17
Banned at own request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather
Jogging doesn't cost anything! A pull-up bar is cheap and doesn't make any noise, and you can gain some great upper-body strength with that. Also, there's the ab wheel. Could also try some resistance bands for your door, as well. Again, cheap and won't really cause any noise.
I guess I can try jogging.
Gawd,i make this a bigger problem than it is.
I think my problem is that I'm not open with showing I want to be fitter, I care too much about what strangers think and although healthy is good, I always weirdly say to myself I'm taking exercise too seriously or whatever (it's rubbish mind talk ) cause at the end of the day I'm doing exercise for my benefit and not others.
Old 22nd March 2013, 23:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
Good for you i done that at 6am this morning lol but not as heavy as im still trying to get my form spot on first then i'l start adding more weight.
Thanks.

Have you been lifting long? If so then I'll offer my standard warning of... take care and don't rush anything! Getting the form right and gradually adding weight is always the way to go. There's no rush.

Quote:
I guess I can try jogging.
Gawd,i make this a bigger problem than it is.
I think my problem is that I'm not open with showing I want to be fitter, I care too much about what strangers think and although healthy is good, I always weirdly say to myself I'm taking exercise too seriously or whatever (it's rubbish mind talk ) cause at the end of the day I'm doing exercise for my benefit and not others.
Yeah, I guess being SA encompasses a load of that type of thinking. Just give it a go, man. Jogging used to kill me but I just stuck at it and gradually progressed. I'd miss some days, or I'd maybe not jog as far as previous days, but, overall, I was making progress.
Old 23rd March 2013, 08:34

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
165kg deadlift. I'd done several sets and reps of lower weight as a build up, though. 170kg,though...I'm stoked. :D
Very nice Goddy! How's your grip holding?

Had a small PB myself last night. 1 arm pushup training and felt strong off the 17" box so attempted a proper one off the floor with my left arm and to my surprise I got it easy. I normally collapse and faceplant on my left arm
Old 23rd March 2013, 11:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by diplodocus
Very nice Goddy! How's your grip holding?
Thanks.

My grip's doing fine, surprisingly! Once it starts to give way I suppose I'll start using straps, but I'll try my best to keep away from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diplodocus
Had a small PB myself last night. 1 arm pushup training and felt strong off the 17" box so attempted a proper one off the floor with my left arm and to my surprise I got it easy. I normally collapse and faceplant on my left arm
Good stuff! One-arm pushups are horrible. I was giving them a go at one point myself, but couldn't be arsed! They're too difficult for me to warrant putting the effort in to get better at them, considering the other stuff I'm doing. So, yeah, good job! :D
Old 23rd March 2013, 11:43

Quote:
Thanks.

Have you been lifting long? If so then I'll offer my standard warning of... take care and don't rush anything! Getting the form right and gradually adding weight is always the way to go. There's no rush.
No not long, heres my thread:

http://www.social-anxiety-community....ad.php?t=67968

Thanks. Yeah im just taking my time, im getting on well with the lad that gave me my induction - hes giving me tips etc also im watching others aswell.

Youtube vids are very good too.

What about yourself?
Old 23rd March 2013, 12:07

Mood
Breezy

Default Re: Re: The Exercise Thread

Quote:
Thanks.

My grip's doing fine, surprisingly! Once it starts to give way I suppose I'll start using straps, but I'll try my best to keep away from them.
I suspect it was just a weak point of mine and you have a strong grip!
Quote:
Good stuff! One-arm pushups are horrible. I was giving them a go at one point myself, but couldn't be arsed! They're too difficult for me to warrant putting the effort in to get better at them, considering the other stuff I'm doing. So, yeah, good job! :D
Ta, well one arms wouldn't do much for your lifting. But I'm quite surprised at how asymmetric my strength is after working on unilateral movements so I'm glad I'm evening it out.
Old 23rd March 2013, 12:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
No not long, heres my thread:

http://www.social-anxiety-community....ad.php?t=67968

Thanks. Yeah im just taking my time, im getting on well with the lad that gave me my induction - hes giving me tips etc also im watching others aswell.

Youtube vids are very good too.

What about yourself?
Ah, cool. Good that you're paying attention to others and you've got someone there giving you tips.

As for me, I do everything from home. There's no free-weights/squat rack (other than dumbbells) at my local gym, and I have no interest in weight machines, as I'm not bodybuilding. Also, I've got a rowing machine - plus I go jogging - for cardio.

I've been lifting for over a year, but I kind if discount the first 5 months or so as I was just getting a feel for it, and I didn't have a squat rack or olympic weights, or anything.
Old 23rd March 2013, 13:28

Mood
Sneaky

just wanted to mention something with regards to deadlift. some people seem to go on a lot about whether overhand or over-under grip is used. is this worth fussing about? i never really got the big deal.

i always use double overhand
Old 23rd March 2013, 14:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth brundle
just wanted to mention something with regards to deadlift. some people seem to go on a lot about whether overhand or over-under grip is used. is this worth fussing about? i never really got the big deal.

Never heard of someone tearing a bicep with double overhand... that's all I'm saying. :D
Old 24th March 2013, 00:59
Banned at own request

So I'm planning to maybe jog some early mornings, is it best on an empty stomach or after breakfast?
Old 24th March 2013, 02:43

Mood
Breezy

Quote:

Well most people can lift a lot more with a mixed grip. I could lift about 25% more.
Old 24th March 2013, 02:44

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
So I'm planning to maybe jog some early mornings, is it best on an empty stomach or after breakfast?
Empty stomach unless you want to regurgitate your breakfast!
Old 25th March 2013, 17:38

Just worked out. Went surprisingly well considering i didn't get much sleep! Annoyed i missed a week and a bit from being ill and having to drop my numbers a fair chunk though, i'd be doing even better then. It might not sound like much, but my 3x5 squat is up to 40kg, and my 1x5 deadlift is on 50kg and still fairly easy!

One thing i will ask though, does anyone do overhead presses? They're kicking my arse at the moment!
Old 28th March 2013, 13:25
Banned at own request

Went rollerskating, nothing serious, I don't feel like doing it in a very serious manner since I find it fun.

It was like an exposure though since I see no body skating in my area.
I felt rusty and stiff doing it,i have lost flexibility I need to get back, but then tbh I havent skated regularly for about a year and don't do any exercises,i believe with time I would get better since I did before although my perfectionist standards might have undermined my improvements.
I might do this on other mornings this holiday, mornings in the park since there are less ppl.
Even skating seems expensive as I need new wheels, better beatings and new toe stoppers.

I honestly need a job.
Old 29th March 2013, 13:36

Tried mixed grip with my deads for the first time at such a heavy weight, and I lifted 175kg... twice. Also managed 165 x 3 and 155 x 4. The form was off, as I'm not used to that grip, but I still done full lifts.

Badass. :D
Old 1st April 2013, 11:50
Banned at own request

Although I've only been recreational skating, trying to learn the basic foundations, for a few days daily. I actually feel more motivated to exercise than before, especially since I know probably some core exercises help with skating. But I have no money for the gym.
Old 1st April 2013, 12:04

Mood
Sneaky

Quote:
Tried mixed grip with my deads for the first time at such a heavy weight, and I lifted 175kg... twice. Also managed 165 x 3 and 155 x 4. The form was off, as I'm not used to that grip, but I still done full lifts.

Badass. :D
effing astonishing. i may pay for a second AND THIRD sundae
Old 1st April 2013, 12:12

Mood
Sneaky

Quote:
Although I've only been recreational skating, trying to learn the basic foundations, for a few days daily. I actually feel more motivated to exercise than before, especially since I know probably some core exercises help with skating. But I have no money for the gym.

skating is exercise, man. just keep it up. think of the difference between being out skating for an hour, versus just being sat on your ass at the pc all day. its activity vs inactivity
Old 1st April 2013, 15:50

Quote:
effing astonishing. i may pay for a second AND THIRD sundae
Thank you, man. :,)

Three sundaes, eh? Dem gainzz...
Old 2nd April 2013, 20:25
Banned at own request

Today I was trying to balance on one skate as I glided to get the feel of actually skating completely above the wheel, I need a loads more practice but I kinda v slightly grasped it with one foot, only for very little time. I'm terrible at gliding with just my left foot and need practice but I know I would improve over time.

I can't wait to have better balance since then I would be transmitting more energy into my skates and skating faster and smoother.

This feels so out of place since no one talks of roller skating as an exercise. My back was hurting at the end.
Old 2nd April 2013, 21:38

Mood
Breezy

^ nah skating is most definitely exercise. Just look at the thighs of speed skaters, they are humungous! They have tremendous power and cardio.