SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 1st June 2013, 23:34

Mood
Goofy

Default Volunteers needed for new social anxiety charity!

UPDATE! (February 2015)

A belated happy new year to everyone on SAUK! We would like to wish you all the very best for 2015.

We also wanted to take this opportunity to update you on the progress that the charity, the Social Anxiety Foundation (SAF), has made over the past year.

First of all, we would like to say how grateful we are to everyone who has offered to volunteer for the charity and especially to those who have already been able to contribute in some way, whether by writing articles, helping with the website or responding to survey questions.

Thanks to you we have been able to accomplish quite a lot, though it will still be a while before the charity can be fully launched. We are 6 members on the charity committee and we have all been juggling our jobs, families and other commitments – in fact, 2 babies have arrived since we started working on this project!

One of the most popular projects is the buddy scheme. Unfortunately we have discovered that there are various legal hurdles that have to crossed before the scheme can be launched. We appreciate your patience and hope that we will be able to get the buddy scheme up and running in another year or so.

If you are interested in volunteering for us, we really need help in the following areas:

- URGENT: Website developer – someone who can build and/or design websites.

- We would like to post stories on the charity’s website of your personal experiences with social anxiety. If you are happy to share, please send us your stories - your personal details will of course not be revealed (unless you would like them to be). Your stories can be as long or short as you wish and about any aspect of your social anxiety.

- Legal advice. Volunteers with practical experience of legal matters (Ideally, but not necessarily, charity law).

- Welfare / Benefits. Volunteers with experience / knowledge of the UK benefits and welfare system.

- Volunteers with professional fundraising experience, to contribute to setting up the charity’s fundraising strategy.

- Digital copywriter. Volunteer with experience designing and optimizing website content.

Your role will be supported by the permanent members of the charity. Face to face interaction is not necessary for any of these roles.

If you would like to volunteer, please contact info@sashgroup.org

Thanks again everyone!

Best wishes,
Stefano, Catherine, Pete, Tom, Michaela and Mary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The new UK social anxiety charity, recently set up to focus on social anxiety in the country, is looking for volunteers to help on a variety of ongoing projects.

We are currently looking for volunteers in the following areas:

- We would love to hear your stories of your personal experiences with SA. If you are happy to write about this, please send us your stories - your personal details will of course not be revealed. Stories can be as long or short as you wish and about any aspect of your social anxiety

- SA buddies scheme. We are looking for SA sufferers who have good awareness of their condition to join our SA buddies scheme. As a buddy, you would be put in touch with another sufferer, in order to be in regular contact with them, for a given period time (minimum 6 months), via email, penpal, instant messaging, telephone, or in person. The scheme will be launched later this year. At this stage we are only asking for an expression of interest.

- Fundraisers
o Volunteers with professional fundraising experience, to contribute to setting up the charity’s fundraising strategy
o Volunteers for fundraising events. For example, bike rides, walks, abseils etc.

- Legal advice. Volunteers with practical experience of legal matters (Ideally, but not necessarily, charity law)

- Welfare / Benefits. Volunteers with experience / knowledge of the UK benefits and welfare system

- Lobbying/campaigning. Volunteers with experience in political lobbying/campaigning to help with the charity’s social anxiety public awareness goals.

- Digital copywriter. Volunteer with experience designing and optimizing website content.

- Volunteer with graphic design experience to help us design the charity's logo and/or website content.

Your role will be supported by the permanent members of the charity. Face to face interaction is not necessary for any of these roles.

If you would like to volunteer, please contact info@sashgroup.org
Old 2nd June 2013, 23:14

Default Re: Volunteers needed for new social anxiety charity!

I would certinly be interested in the writing and research
Old 3rd June 2013, 10:15

Mood
Thinking

I'm interested

Surprised this thread isn't more popular??
Old 3rd June 2013, 10:55

Mood
Curious

I am very interested. I would see this as helping myself overcome my SA too. I would be interested in a buddie scheme and writing and research. I have a lot of experience of campaigning and lobbying (in the green movement) so that sounds good. I have loads of free time at the moment so it would be good to get my teeth into something. Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 11:08

I don't have any free time at the moment but if you have a mailing list for the charity can you add me onto it so I can keep upto date with your activities?

Haven't forgotten about that thing you asked to write btw.
Old 3rd June 2013, 15:30

Id be happy to volunteer for the buddies system as I have done befriending before. SHH - maybe you should post on the main sa section as well just in case no one has seen this section
Old 3rd June 2013, 16:04

Mood
Breezy

I would be very interested in volunteering for the buddies scheme, writing/researching and I'd also be happy to write about my own personal experiences too
Old 3rd June 2013, 18:48

Mood
Goofy

Hey everyone, thank you so much for your feedback and offers of help! Please email us on this address info@sashgroup.org to volunteer - at this early stage we really need your help to get things up and running as soon as possible! It really makes me happy to think that this is a charity founded and created by socially anxious people for socially anxious people!!

Black Mamba - we don't have a mailing list as yet, but will once the website is live. I will keep you posted!

Silver and Puppet - where abouts could I put this thread on SAUK so that it gets more exposure?

Smelly cat, Songar, Kooky Monster - we would love to hear from you guys, please do drop us an email!

Thanks again all!!

Old 4th June 2013, 11:15

Maybe make thread permanant (sticky) in sa room

Id be happy to write about my experience of meets too
Old 4th June 2013, 11:17

Mood
Goofy

Thanks Silver - I will ask the mods!

We'd love to hear about your experiences, just email them into info@sashgroup.org - we won't know who you are!
Old 4th June 2013, 11:48

Mood
Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny Happy Hippo
Hey everyone, thank you so much for your feedback and offers of help!

Smelly cat, Songar, Kooky Monster - we would love to hear from you guys, please do drop us an email!

Hi Hippo,

Sent an email to the address you gave. Will wait to hear back.

xx
Old 4th June 2013, 16:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet
Surprised this thread isn't more popular??
Agreed.
Old 4th June 2013, 17:07
Banned

SA people and a minimum 6 month commitment to a buddy scheme? SA peeps are notorious for breaking contact/being flaky etc so can't see a huge amount of interest in something that asks for that level of commitment (hope to be proved wrong though).
Old 4th June 2013, 17:14

Mood
Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer
SA people and a minimum 6 month commitment to a buddy scheme? SA peeps are notorious for breaking contact/being flaky etc so can't see a huge amount of interest in something that asks for that level of commitment (hope to be proved wrong though).
I am very nervous on that score - wondering if I have bitten off more than I can chew, but hoping against hope that I will be able to push myself.
Old 5th June 2013, 12:42

Mood
Goofy

Hey everyone! Thanks for the feedback and for getting in touch on this thread and via the email address!

Tabitha - its very important to us that the charity reaches suffers of social anxiety in all parts of the UK. We will do our best to cover all of the country, but it is perhaps inevitable to some extent that the bigger cities and particularly London, will get more attention, especially as the charity's committee members are all in London. But our goal is to make it relevant to everyone in Britain. Therefore we are currently researching what the different NHS trusts across the country offer sufferers, collating information on SA support groups across the country, and hopefully having various support schemes like the buddy scheme, which will help reduce isolation for sufferers in all part of the country. If you have any ideas on how we can make it more useful to sufferers in smaller cities and towns, please get in touch and let us know!

Kramer and Smellycat - I understand your reservations about committing to the buddy scheme for 6 months. However, we are not expecting you to meet in person, only to respond to a minimum of 2 emails a week. You will be allowed to state your preferences in a buddy (gender, age group, severity of isolation) and hopefully both sides will benefit from the experience and perhaps lifelong friendships will be formed. We are still in the process of researching how to set up the scheme, we've only been going since the end of April, so there is still a lot of work to be done!

Once again, here is the email address to write to if you are interested in any of these roles: info@sashgroup.org

Also, if you don't have time to volunteer but would be interested in writing about your own personal experience of SA, please do send your stories in to the above email address. We are very happy for your to keep your identity private - in fact I think privacy is crucial in order for people to feel comfortable enough to write from a very honest and raw place.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 5th June 2013, 21:52

Mood
Mellow

Sounds really good. I've recently taken on a fundraising role so although I'm just a beginner I would be pretty interested in helping out once I've gotten more confident. I'll definitely check it oit
Old 5th June 2013, 22:25

Mood
Curious

2 emails a week - no problem, x
Old 6th June 2013, 09:39

Mood
Goofy

Good stuff sillypenguin and smellycat!

Also, what would everyone like to see a charity devoted to social anxiety offer? We hope to make it as informative as possible with information on treatments, the NHS, benefits and welfare, advice for family and friends of sufferers and buddy-type schemes. We also want to raise awareness of social anxiety in the general public and for it to be taken more seriously rather than dismissed as a "bit of shyness". But what else would help SA-ers? Please give us your ideas, either on this thread or to the email address: info@sashgroup.org
Old 6th June 2013, 20:57
Co-Administrator

Definitely interested in the buddy scheme. I've emailed you
Old 7th June 2013, 19:00

Mood
Goofy

Good stuff marizpan86 - thank you!
Old 7th June 2013, 22:48

Default Re: Re: Volunteers needed for new social anxiety charity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny Happy Hippo
Good stuff sillypenguin and smellycat!

Also, what would everyone like to see a charity devoted to social anxiety offer? We hope to make it as informative as possible with information on treatments, the NHS, benefits and welfare, advice for family and friends of sufferers and buddy-type schemes. We also want to raise awareness of social anxiety in the general public and for it to be taken more seriously rather than dismissed as a "bit of shyness". But what else would help SA-ers? Please give us your ideas, either on this thread or to the email address: info@sashgroup.org

When do you need the emails by?
Old 8th June 2013, 10:53

Mood
Goofy

Hey newbie2013 - there's no deadline as such, it really depends what role/s you are interested in. If you wanted to write or research for the website, it would have to be fairly soon though. For your personal stories or if you are interested in buddying, then no rush. Thanks!
Old 8th June 2013, 14:04

Mood
Yeehaw

This is really good news - a social anxiety charity is long overdue.

I was wondering, with regard to the buddies scheme, what kind of safeguards will be in place to protect vulnerable adults?

Obviously, some people with social anxiety using the buddies scheme may be very vulnerable, isolated, lonely, depressed, have suicidal thoughts or suffer from co-morbid mental health problems. Most mental health charities run a standard DBS check (at a cost of 26 per check) on their staff and volunteers to safeguard the vulnerable. Will you be doing this?
Old 9th June 2013, 07:53

Mood
Goofy

Hey Marmite, excellent questions! To be honest, I'm not sure about the DBS check, we are still learning as we go along - we've only been going since the end of April and we still have a lot to do including the admin side of things and creating content for a website.

One of the things on our massive "to do" list is to research the buddy scheme thoroughly and contact organisations who run something similar and learn from them. It sounds like you have some experience of this - why don't you get in touch, we'd love to hear your ideas on the buddy scheme!

info@sashgroup.org
Old 9th June 2013, 07:59

Mood
Creative

I've already chatted to you through the facebook group.

Feel free to put up this add on the website I help run over at http://www.socialphobiaworld.com/ in the UK forum there
Old 9th June 2013, 23:23

Mood
Goofy

Thanks яemus! I will post it tomorrow!
Old 10th June 2013, 01:00

I'd be well up for doing something, but I'd need more info on them as you get it. I would likely be happy to do the buddy scheme, and possibly partake in certain fundraising events, but I would like to know more. Also it could be a cool thing to say I did on Personal statements and such.
Old 10th June 2013, 17:10

Mood
Goofy

Sure Poster! What sort of info are you after? Would you be up for doing a run or a cycle perhaps?
Old 10th June 2013, 18:05

Just info like when things will happen, what are the requirements for events etc. I realise you won't know just yet, but I get a little nervous committing to anything when I don't know the full details.

For the buddy scheme I would almost definitely be up for it. (Although I'm wary of being paired up with somebody hostile or the equivalent for six months..)

Fundraising is a big maybe. I'm not terribly athletic these days, so I would have to see what the event is before confirming
Old 10th June 2013, 22:30

Mood
Goofy

Hi Poster,

At the moment we are busy trying to create the basics of the charity - this involves the legal and admin side of registering a charity and also creating the content and the design of a website.

We really need volunteers who can help us set up the charity and as you say, we don't have any firm dates yet (we've only been going since the end of April!)

We don't expect volunteers to commit themselves to anything - with the exception of the buddy scheme. We are starting to draft up guidelines for this, but it is likely to be something like a commitment to reply to at least 2 emails a week for a period of 6 months at the minimum.

To be honest, I am not quite sure that the charity is going to be all about events. What do you have in mind by events? We hope to have talks by experts in social anxiety, films about the subject and possibly social meet-ups and fundraising projects for people who are willing to do runs or abseils and so on. But what we really need right now are volunteers who can help with the roles listed in the first post.

I really hope that answer your question? If not, just let me know!