SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 29th August 2013, 10:58

Default How did you get your job?

Which might sound like a silly question, but I'm just curious.

I am absolutely awful in interviews (but have beta blockers now so can try these in my next interview).

I have never passed a job interview before. My anxiety is quite bad, also my confidence, which means I am picky about what jobs I apply for.

I went to uni and started paid employment at 21 through a job agency and have been with them since. I go through periods of desperately trying to get out, then feel exhausted or past caring and so stop looking for a while. People say you should put yourself out there, but I tried this in a reception job, it made me extremely anxious and unstable and I had to get out.

I've been in my present temp job 18 months and I so badly want a job closer to where I live. I feel a new environment will help me, even though this job has its good points (back office, pay ok, not stressful or very busy often)... but then I think 'but there are other back office jobs similar'.

There is a chance it may eventually become permanent and people always tell me to stay for that reason, but I have more cons to working here than pros.

Sorry to waffle on and I've probably said all this before on here. My plan is to haggle a bunch of agencies I've made a list of and drafted emails and hope they can get me something else.
Old 29th August 2013, 12:07

Default Re: How did you get your job?

For my current job I started volunteering there and convinced the manager to give me a paid job. Also started my own business but have run out of money to restock so that's stalled.

In the past I've had several walk-in jobs (no interview) which are somewhat a thing of the past. I've passed a few interviews although only ever for skilled work, not for the fun/easy stuff like burger flipping or rollercoaster operator at Chessington or for a video games tester (can't tell you how badly I wanted the theme park job!!).

...umm what else. Got lots of jobs through word of mouth as well. A few through a temp agency too, like you.

What did you study at uni again? Sorry I've probably asked before but I forgot.

Anyway I'm really struggling at the moment to find a paid job. The thing is I want something casual which usually translates into low-skilled jobs. But I just got rejected from Tesco, McDonalds etc. yet I can easily get interviews for highly skilled jobs so...

My advice is that somethings things are not as they seem. If you aim higher, it can often make job hunting easier. Also I find that my degree scares off the likes of Tesco et co. If I apply to someone like that again I'm going to wipe my degree off my CV. Ugh.
Old 29th August 2013, 12:10

I wouldnt know what a job is.
Old 29th August 2013, 13:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_mamba
For my current job I started volunteering there and convinced the manager to give me a paid job. Also started my own business but have run out of money to restock so that's stalled.

In the past I've had several walk-in jobs (no interview) which are somewhat a thing of the past. I've passed a few interviews although only ever for skilled work, not for the fun/easy stuff like burger flipping or rollercoaster operator at Chessington or for a video games tester (can't tell you how badly I wanted the theme park job!!).

...umm what else. Got lots of jobs through word of mouth as well. A few through a temp agency too, like you.

What did you study at uni again? Sorry I've probably asked before but I forgot.

Anyway I'm really struggling at the moment to find a paid job. The thing is I want something casual which usually translates into low-skilled jobs. But I just got rejected from Tesco, McDonalds etc. yet I can easily get interviews for highly skilled jobs so...

My advice is that somethings things are not as they seem. If you aim higher, it can often make job hunting easier. Also I find that my degree scares off the likes of Tesco et co. If I apply to someone like that again I'm going to wipe my degree off my CV. Ugh.
Sociology. I think it's one of them degrees where people either go into management roles, teaching or research. Not only do I have no interest in them kind of jobs, I also couldn't do them because of how I am.

I couldn't have a high responsibility or status job

What was your business?

Working in a theme park would be cool. I also think that about a normal park.

Word of mouth seems fairly common. I know people who have got jobs because people they knew put a word in for them. Lucky, I think.

For now, I'm hoping another agency can rescue me from this place
Old 29th August 2013, 18:29

I started off through a temping agency , This is back in 2000 .

I had heard that they were looking for permanent staff so I applied.

I had to do an interview ,I think back then I was more confident .

God knows how I passed the interview. I also had to do a little written test, which I also passed.

I think getting a job is much more tougher now though. I dread having to go through all that again .
Old 29th August 2013, 20:22

I'm awful in interviews as well, my anxiety is really bad and my nerves are really obvious. I'm also not very good at volunteering information and my mind freezes and goes blank a lot. So I have no idea how I managed to get the job I did! I think what helped was that I genuinely wanted the job because it was like my dream job, and the fact that I can write quite good written applications. I also had the relevant experience and proof that I was interested in the job.

It's a lot more competitive these days though, especially for low-skilled jobs because obviously more people go for them so I'd say aim higher - you have a degree so you're clearly capable of more. I couldn't get any temp agency work because I didn't have paid experience (apparently voluntary experience and a degree wasn't enough). I think you just have to be persistent, apply for jobs that you actually want, and hope that the more interviews you get, the better you'll become at them (didn't work for me but might for you). And make sure that you stand out as a strong candidate - ideally with both experience and passion for the job.
Old 29th August 2013, 23:08

Well so far I've only had one thing which can almost be described as a job.

I wanted a bit of work experience over the summer. Looking back, I can't believe I managed to do this, but I saw the managing director of a company I knew a lot about, and went up to him and asked him what to do for work experience at the company.

Eventually I had a sort-of interview, and did 4 weeks of work experience, one week of which was paid! I'm actually officially an employee of theirs, and hopefully there will be casual work in September.

I wasn't very good in the interview and very nervous, but obviously it wasn't that bad otherwise they wouldn't have let me work there.

I really didn't think I'd get the chance to work there, and I certainly didn't think i'd get paid. I thought it might have been inappropriate to approach the MD, but he didn't seem to mind and it got me somewhere.
Old 30th August 2013, 00:15

Mood
Doubtful

Did a typing test and oral interview for my current job.
Old 30th August 2013, 03:32

Mood
Spaced

Through luck. I was forced to visit one of those places which help you find work (never knew what they did differently to the job centre aside from seeing the same person every week). After a while doing that, one day out of the blue they say they're sending me on a work placement which would last for 4 weeks, just to see if I can work. I guess I impressed because they kept me on.

I don't think I'd manage to successfully get through an interview.
Old 30th August 2013, 09:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof
I started off through a temping agency , This is back in 2000 .

I had heard that they were looking for permanent staff so I applied.

I had to do an interview ,I think back then I was more confident .

God knows how I passed the interview. I also had to do a little written test, which I also passed.

I think getting a job is much more tougher now though. I dread having to go through all that again .

I think you're right there.

My brother is five years older, I remember when he was late teen/early twenties and got loads of work fairly easily. He's trying to get a new job atm as doesn't like where he is, but says there are fewer jobs compared to then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memory
I'm awful in interviews as well, my anxiety is really bad and my nerves are really obvious. I'm also not very good at volunteering information and my mind freezes and goes blank a lot. So I have no idea how I managed to get the job I did! I think what helped was that I genuinely wanted the job because it was like my dream job, and the fact that I can write quite good written applications. I also had the relevant experience and proof that I was interested in the job.

It's a lot more competitive these days though, especially for low-skilled jobs because obviously more people go for them so I'd say aim higher - you have a degree so you're clearly capable of more. I couldn't get any temp agency work because I didn't have paid experience (apparently voluntary experience and a degree wasn't enough). I think you just have to be persistent, apply for jobs that you actually want, and hope that the more interviews you get, the better you'll become at them (didn't work for me but might for you). And make sure that you stand out as a strong candidate - ideally with both experience and passion for the job.
That's just it -

I am very low confidence. I panicked in the first few months of this job

what if I cannot learn it
what if I am not good enough
what if I am too slow

So the idea of applying for something that wants skill, or is demanding or pressurised I simply wouldn't cope. When I'm anxious I have big sleep problems so am dreading starting a new job for that reason.

But yes, only applying for jobs I actually really want is a good one

Oh yeah,

this too

I am not ambitious and not a strong candidate. I see work as something I have to do not something I want to do. I am not particularly hard working though I do try to complete everything best I can and don't let others do my work for me as consciousness by nature. That's one of the things in interviews too, I cannot fake that some admin job is the best thing ever. I don't know what the best thing ever would be, but it isn't something like this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex652
Well so far I've only had one thing which can almost be described as a job.

I wanted a bit of work experience over the summer. Looking back, I can't believe I managed to do this, but I saw the managing director of a company I knew a lot about, and went up to him and asked him what to do for work experience at the company.

Eventually I had a sort-of interview, and did 4 weeks of work experience, one week of which was paid! I'm actually officially an employee of theirs, and hopefully there will be casual work in September.

I wasn't very good in the interview and very nervous, but obviously it wasn't that bad otherwise they wouldn't have let me work there.

I really didn't think I'd get the chance to work there, and I certainly didn't think i'd get paid. I thought it might have been inappropriate to approach the MD, but he didn't seem to mind and it got me somewhere.
well done for approaching him

I was cycling last night and passed an industrial estate near me. So many companies. I thought, what would they do if I actually went into their reception and asked about work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesH
Through luck. I was forced to visit one of those places which help you find work (never knew what they did differently to the job centre aside from seeing the same person every week). After a while doing that, one day out of the blue they say they're sending me on a work placement which would last for 4 weeks, just to see if I can work. I guess I impressed because they kept me on.

I don't think I'd manage to successfully get through an interview.
I wish the job centre had helped me more. It'd have benefited me I think. I know someone who after a few weeks without work the job centre placed him in a teaching assistant job in a school :/

at least they kept you though and if you're still there, you must be least half ok with job
Old 30th August 2013, 13:53

I don't know how people with sa get through interviews I haven't had one since 2002 I think so even if I got one now can't see how I would pass. I'm so nervous and my mind goes blank even after doing lots of preparation, it makes it look like I've not made any effort. Think work is more difficult to get if you're over 40.
Old 30th August 2013, 14:41

Mood
Happy

I got all my jobs through the job centre, while i was on JSA ,i was in the age category where they would send us off to these centres to help us find work,there we had access to computers,local newspapers on a daily basis,help with out CV and also the advisers there would also help us out with the initial calling,they would take us out to the shopping centres to hand out cv's,twice i been on JSA, twice they sent me to these courses and twice i got a job

used to roll up to the interviews in jeans a tshirt cause thats what i felt comfortable in, luckily they gave me a chance to chat to them about why i want the work,what can i bring to the job blah blah and the rest is history,i dont get scared in an interview situation,im nervous of course but it just rolls of the tongue.
Old 30th August 2013, 16:02

Mood
Notworthy

I have been freelancing for a few months.
I got a project closer to home for which I am preparing.
I got the thumbs up the same day; morning interview, offered role in the afternoon!

I am not confident, but I tried this: (I am not saying it was the reason, but just saying ...)

Old 30th August 2013, 19:22

For my current job I just saw an advert online and applied for it. I was doing pretty much the same thing for another company but for lower pay at the time so I knew I'd have a good chance of getting it.

Last job, I saw an advert on the back of a parcel van and got the job despite being 19/20 with no experience.

Job before that, it was in Tesco's. I was a student, the store I worked at employed half of my college in the evenings and weekends. I went for the interview and they offered me a job.

First job, I asked a newsagent if he had any paper rounds, he said yes.

I wish it was the early 2000,s again, it was ridiculously easy to get a job back then. No way would I want to be leaving education and trying to get my first job now.
Old 31st August 2013, 21:40

Mood
Breezy

I need to work in a hospital to carry out my university experiments for coursework, so it was really by chance that I get to work in a hospital, which I would not do if I was left to my own devices
Old 1st September 2013, 22:12

Mood
Brooding

i think it helps if you're kind of "forced" into work. Not truly desperate, but you really do want/need the job. that determination kind of overridded my SA in the interview. I mean I was still terrified, but also very eager, so that must have helped a bit.
I was also working voluntarily so I think that counts for something, shows you're not just a layabout i guess.
Old 1st September 2013, 22:48

Same as above. I finished college and was under huge pressure from my family to get a job. I felt I had to take the first one I could, and that meant moving away from everyone I knew. I was in a state at the interview, in fact I turned up late, but was more scared of my family's reaction if I didn't have a job. I must have come across well enough. As for my second job, which I have to this day, I guess I was just feeling confident at the time.