SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Mental Health Issues
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 10th November 2015, 23:02

Default Re: The Suicide Thread - Trigger Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjoe
The underlying cause for my suicidal thoughts, apart from anxiety/depression is feeling disconnected from the world. At risk of sounding like a hipster, modern life is too complicated and too full of regret for me, but I'm not sure how I'd fare being a peasant either.

By "disconnected" do you mean you feel you don't fit in or were you outcasted?
Old 11th November 2015, 18:57

^ If you don't name them it should be okay x
Old 11th November 2015, 20:19
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloSunshine
Thank you CC, and for Newbs, for thinking of the both of us.

I just don't know what to do to be honest Work is absolutely my saving grace and has been for the past couple of months. I dread to think what I'd be like now if I didn't have work to occupy me everyday. At work I'm motivated, chatty and I'm fine really. It's coping away from work that can be the problem at times.

I really don't want to go on anti-depressants. I feel like because I'm already on medication for migraine I just don't want to add more pills to the mix. Maybe that's a silly excuse, I don't know. Is it stupid to think I can get through this without visiting my gp? All I know is that I don't want to visit my gp.
I'm really sorry you're struggling at the moment, HS

I can see why you wouldn't want to go on anti-depressants, I've got an appointment with the gp myself next week and I'm expecting him to want to put me on anti-depressants for my own depression and suicidal thoughts/feelings (although needless to say I won't go anywhere near mentioning the s word around a health professional) when I really don't want to go on them, but you could ask your gp to be referred to counselling maybe? Or have you thought about private counselling? It's not stupid to think you can get through this without visiting the gp or a professional, it's understandable that you might be reluctant to seek professional help, you will get through it, but it might help having someone you feel like you can properly open up to, cause I know I couldn't tell other people the full extent of what I'm feeling, I'm worried about being a burden or making them feel uncomfortable or how they might react, but with a counsellor I don't get those feelings, I feel like I can open up to them without worrying about how they'll react or cope with what I'm telling them. Although I realise it may not be like that for others with counsellors.

It'll get better
Old 11th November 2015, 20:39
Co-Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly.
I'm really sorry you're struggling at the moment, HS

I can see why you wouldn't want to go on anti-depressants, I've got an appointment with the gp myself next week and I'm expecting him to want to put me on anti-depressants for my own depression and suicidal thoughts/feelings (although needless to say I won't go anywhere near mentioning the s word around a health professional) when I really don't want to go on them, but you could ask your gp to be referred to counselling maybe? Or have you thought about private counselling? It's not stupid to think you can get through this without visiting the gp or a professional, it's understandable that you might be reluctant to seek professional help, you will get through it, but it might help having someone you feel like you can properly open up to, cause I know I couldn't tell other people the full extent of what I'm feeling, I'm worried about being a burden or making them feel uncomfortable or how they might react, but with a counsellor I don't get those feelings, I feel like I can open up to them without worrying about how they'll react or cope with what I'm telling them. Although I realise it may not be like that for others with counsellors.

It'll get better
Thanks Olly

I don't have any real desire to seek any kind of support or help from professionals. Maybe a small part of me feels I deserve to feel like this because of something I did? I also don't think I could open up to a complete stranger about how I'm feeling. I don't think I could be honest and explain everything. It's a situation that would make me feel socially anxious I think.

I'm also quite wary of admitting to any type of professional that I think I may be depressed and suicidal. I don't want to be signed off work and it is something that I would have to declare at work because of the profession I work in.

I hope this doesn't offend anybody but in my view, anti-depressants don't tackle the problem. Like with the majority of medication it simply stops the symptoms. My depression would still be there. That's just my personal view. I completely understand why others take them.
Old 11th November 2015, 20:46

Mood
Balanced

^I completely agree. I kind of want to give help from professionals a try though. I doubt it will be any good, however.

I hope you feel better soon, HS.
Old 11th November 2015, 20:55
Co-Administrator

^ Thank you Some1

I'm not trying to deter anyone from seeking professional help. I would probably urge other people to seek the help but for myself, it just isn't something I feel able to do or want to do.
Old 11th November 2015, 21:15

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloSunshine
Thanks Olly

I don't have any real desire to seek any kind of support or help from professionals. Maybe a small part of me feels I deserve to feel like this because of something I did? I also don't think I could open up to a complete stranger about how I'm feeling. I don't think I could be honest and explain everything. It's a situation that would make me feel socially anxious I think.

I'm also quite wary of admitting to any type of professional that I think I may be depressed and suicidal. I don't want to be signed off work and it is something that I would have to declare at work because of the profession I work in.

I hope this doesn't offend anybody but in my view, anti-depressants don't tackle the problem. Like with the majority of medication it simply stops the symptoms. My depression would still be there. That's just my personal view. I completely understand why others take them.
I used to feel similarly about seeing a therapist and talking to someone about things, but I think part of the process of it can be learning to trust someone and open up in an honest way.

You're right that anti-depressants don't tackle the problem. They can give people a lift and a bit of relief from certain symptoms which in turn can make it easier for people to tackle things with therapy etc. But they're certainly not a cure.

But everyone's different. I hope you can find things that are helpful for you
Old 11th November 2015, 21:19
Banned

This is definitely my favourite thread.
Old 11th November 2015, 21:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougella
You're right that anti-depressants don't tackle the problem. They can give people a lift and a bit of relief from certain symptoms which in turn can make it easier for people to tackle things with therapy etc. But they're certainly not a cure.
It's important to distinguish between situational depression and clinical depression. Your reasoning only applies to situational depression.

Anti-depressants aren't intended to be a cure. It just makes life for a lot of us liveable. It's the same rationale behind medication used for any physical ailment, such as hayfever or cluster headaches. We know that we can't cure it (clinical depression), so we just have to try and treat the symptoms as best we can.

As for situational depression, that is different. It's something that can be overcome without medication, although they may help temporarily.
Old 11th November 2015, 21:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietuker
By "disconnected" do you mean you feel you don't fit in or were you outcasted?
both i guess, anxiety makes me avoid stuff and seem pretty boring, i spoke to people in school but never got close
Old 11th November 2015, 21:23
Banned

There's no such thing as "clinical depression".
Old 11th November 2015, 23:18

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuBo
It's important to distinguish between situational depression and clinical depression. Your reasoning only applies to situational depression.

Anti-depressants aren't intended to be a cure. It just makes life for a lot of us liveable. It's the same rationale behind medication used for any physical ailment, such as hayfever or cluster headaches. We know that we can't cure it (clinical depression), so we just have to try and treat the symptoms as best we can.

As for situational depression, that is different. It's something that can be overcome without medication, although they may help temporarily.
Yes, you're right about that.
Old 17th November 2015, 02:32

Mood
Sick

I have attempted suicide twice & have been on anti-depressants on and off since my teens, have tried living with out them but I think I need them due to thoughts coming back. Some people need anti-depressants to save themselves from taking their life. I agree that they don't cure depression as you need other things to help you get through that. Anti - Depressants aren't a magic pill.
Old 17th November 2015, 10:39

Sometimes I feel very impatient over death and want to just get it out of the way.
Old 17th November 2015, 16:00

Mood
Sick

Quote:
Originally Posted by john smith
Anti-depressants I got prescribed Citalopram don't seem to have any effect that I have not taken any in months. Might start to take more than one again that I have been feeling really shitty for the past 2-3 months especially when I fall asleep and wake up that I just lay in my bed.
I was on Sertraline 100mg (not at the moment) you have to find the right anti-depressant for you and keep nagging your doctor. They will either put the dose up or try something else. It can take a while though. I think I was on Citalopram when I was 16. Can't remember if it worked for me.. Sertraline made me more talkative though and brought me out of my shell so it did something...
Old 17th November 2015, 16:43

Mood
Sick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjoe
Sometimes I feel very impatient over death and want to just get it out of the way.
I know the feeling. Not really sure what keeps me alive to be honest! I live on my own, single and no job... what's the point !
Old 18th November 2015, 01:45

Mood
Sick

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigissad
thanks Craig
Old 18th November 2015, 12:12

Mood
Sick

lol yeah better then words really
Old 18th November 2015, 22:54

^ I hope you get the help you need and attempt seven doesn't happen
Old 18th November 2015, 23:33

Sorry to hear that BtB. I hope you get help, and that you don't attempt another.
Old 19th November 2015, 02:25

Mood
Sunshine

@ BtB.

Really sorry to read that, mate.

Please, do look after yourself, eh.

I hope you can get the support that you need to get you through all this.
Old 19th November 2015, 21:09
Co-Administrator

Look after yourself Ken
Old 24th November 2015, 02:45

^ That's how I've felt for a long time now. I know I'm not going to do it, but that resignation still sticks around.
Old 24th November 2015, 09:33
Banned at own request

Mood
Dreaming

^ Definitely not alone in this, folks. x
Old 24th November 2015, 16:46

Mood
Fine

^^ No-one hates you Luna! I like you, and I don't lie dammit!
Old 24th November 2015, 17:06

Mood
Angelic

I have lots and lots of time for you Luna. Feel free to use it sometime.

With my current mood too, we could both scream at life for a while.
Old 25th November 2015, 01:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K
^ That's how I've felt for a long time now. I know I'm not going to do it, but that resignation still sticks around.
Same here

The problem is and this will sound crazy but whenever I am near a bridge I always think about what it would be like if I thrown myself off it as messed up as that sounds.
Old 25th November 2015, 07:21

Mood
Balanced

Quote:
Same here

The problem is and this will sound crazy but whenever I am near a bridge I always think about what it would be like if I thrown myself off it as messed up as that sounds.
I've thought about this BEFORE i was depressed and had social anxiety. Not sure why, but it felt a little tempting.
Old 25th November 2015, 15:47

I guess what triggers suicidal thoughts for me is the fact that I am inferior physically and mentally. I have never had that confirmed but I just know I am intellectually challenged and physically challenged as well. I never really succeeded in anything and developed social anxiety because of being rejected socially, I was the weird looking kid in school who nobody wanted to be seen with as it would of stumped their social status.

If I had no fear I would of done myself in way before now, I don't see the point in me being here when everything about me is inferior.
Old 25th November 2015, 21:20
Co-Administrator

Quote:
Same here

I have had similar thoughts. I also experience something similar when driving sometimes, the whole "what if I just don't brake right now?"