SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > SAUK Community > Club 30-81
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 1st July 2017, 19:16

Mood
Happy

Default now you are 30+, what are your tastes in movies?

I love my movies so I though I would start a thread where the people in this age range (personally I am 47) could discuss their favourite movies, with bonus points for anyone who has a comment for how their tastes have changed since they were in their younger years. Just this week I watched the film Hampstead with Diane Keaton and Souvenir with Isabelle Huppert, and I liked both, and I wondered if I would have been so interested in films about the lives of women in their sixties when I was in my twenties (maybe I would though, not sure). I would also like to know if the middle-aged people who post in this section still actually enjoy the cinema experience, or if they have become hermits in their old age watching DVD's or Netflix and imagining the cinema to be full of popcorn-throwing teenagers. I still love my arthouse/ independent cinema the GFT (Glasgow Film Theatre) but in the last year have surprised myself by joining a Meetup group where we usually go to the multiplex, I rarely went to the multiplex before last year.

These are some of my favourite films at this point in my life, ones I would happily watch again on DVD or maybe even on the big screen.

Roman Holiday, Breakfast at Tiffanys, Casablanca from the old days. Also some domestic dramas from a Japanese director called Ozu, titles like Tokyo Story, Early Spring and Late Autumn. He often made films with similar themes, for example about women wanting to look after their fathers but instead being obliged to go through with arranged weddings. I liked some of Kurosawa's samurai films from that period too - The Seven Samurai, Yojimbo etc. From the 60's I like some of the Sean Connery James Bond films, I loved seeing Bond films on Christmas Day when I was growing up there always seemed to be one, and when I grew up and liked more arty stuff I liked some Jean-Luc Godard ones, though I remember more visual styles of his films rather than specific plots or titles.

I like Woody Allen's Annie Hall a lot, I thought Diane Keaton was great in it, and he made quite a few others which I wasn't mad keen on but still enjoyed a lot. I remember in the early 90's enjoying the trilogy of Three Colours Blue, Three Colours White, and Three Colours Red very much, but for some reason I have forgotten a lot of the details of them (I have them on DVD though). I thought Amelie was charming although it took a lot of flak for not being very multicultural or anything like how Paris really is. I guess it is in the category of films which reviewers often use words like "charming confection" to describe. Films I am seeing again soon at the GFT, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Before Sunrise, are also ones I like a lot, so that will be a treat. There is a French film about two shy people finding romance called "Romantics Anonymous" which is very sweet and I like that too. I have seen quite a few challenging/ serious/ depressing films at the Glasgow Film Theatre over the years, and even in the mainstream cinema things like Schindler's List were very powerful, but just in creating a list today it's the charming ones about relationships and friendships which are coming to mind. Maybe another day if my mood was different I would be thinking more of people like Tarkovsky and Andrei Rublev, I saw four of his films last year and they were very impressive.

A lot of the films shown at the GFT are not considered especially arty or intellectual in their own countries, they are just mainstream films there often, but I think people get put off by the subtitles. I do like armchair travels films sometimes, like seeing Tokyo in Lost in Translation (I know some people really didn't like that film but I do), seeing Spain in The Way (I went twice to see it) and seeing Italy, India and Bali in Eat, Pray, Love (which got trashed by the critics but felt like a mini-holiday ). I guess it's fair to say I haven't really got into popcorn movies so far, but not all the ones I like are deep and meaningful either. I have a soft spot for films where people who are outsiders find a friend or a partner who accepts them as they are - ESOTW and Romantics Anonymous are examples, Harold and Maude would be more a cult movie example, but even something like the innocent friendship across the generations by letter in Mary and Max I liked too.

I was quite a serious child growing up so I didn't watch many films aimed at teenagers like The Goonies, Neverending Story or Standy By Me. I am curious if anyone likes watching films from their childhood or teenage years for the nostalgia value.

OK movie fans I could go on all day about the movies I love, but I will let other people have a turn to say what are their favourite films at this point in their life, and discuss if they think their age has anything to do with the films they enjoy most now.
Old 1st July 2017, 19:48

Default Re: now you are 30+, what are your tastes in movies?

I am 40 and I've pretty much lost interest in watching the latest blockbusters. I watched the two recent Star Wars films and I can hardly remember a thing about them. I prefer watching old films now. Casablanca, The Big Sleep and The Third Man are some of my favourites.

I like foreign films too. Good call on the Three Colours trilogy. Red was my favourite, but they were all brilliant. I also liked Decalogue and Double Life of Veronique. I've enjoyed some Tarkovsky films including Andrei Rublev. I remember watching one called Mirror that was just completely over my head. I wonder if you have seen any films by a Russian director called Andrey Zvyagintsev? I really enjoyed Leviathan and The Return. I think he is very much in the same mould as Tarkovsky.

I don't go to the cinema. I probably would do if there was an local independent cinema that showed unusual films but I don't think there is.
Old 1st July 2017, 19:57

I watched the start of a lovely film this morning on BBC2, an old b&w comedy called 'The Maggie' set in Scotland. I never got to watch it all, but I've started to really like old films, they have so much more space & quiet in them.

Newer films often don't trust that the viewers will have the concentration to let a story develop.
Old 1st July 2017, 20:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus
I am 40 and I've pretty much lost interest in watching the latest blockbusters. I watched the two recent Star Wars films and I can hardly remember a thing about them. I prefer watching old films now. Casablanca, The Big Sleep and The Third Man are some of my favourites.

I like foreign films too. Good call on the Three Colours trilogy. Red was my favourite, but they were all brilliant. I also liked Decalogue and Double Life of Veronique. I've enjoyed some Tarkovsky films including Andrei Rublev. I remember watching one called Mirror that was just completely over my head. I wonder if you have seen any films by a Russian director called Andrey Zvyagintsev? I really enjoyed Leviathan and The Return. I think he is very much in the same mould as Tarkovsky.

I don't go to the cinema. I probably would do if there was an local independent cinema that showed unusual films but I don't think there is.
My dad used to go to the cornerhouse in Manchester every week & watch a lot of independent/foreign films. I remember him telling me about the Three Colours trilogy, I should try watching them, I think.
I don't mind watching subtitled films, I loved 'City of God', which I think was in Spanish with English subtitles.

I have to say, having youngish children, I watch a lot of family movies when they come out & I like them too, the last film we saw was the latest Guardians of the Galaxy & it made me cry with laughter.
Old 1st July 2017, 20:09
Global Moderator

Dramas mostly these days. I've always liked them but when I was younger I predominantly loved horror films (well chiller really I suppose), now they don't interest me at all very often. I used to like foreign language films but doubt I have the concentration these days.

I grew up watching mostly old films as my mum loved them. But did obviously see teenage films like Stand by me and so on. I love watching some of them now. It's like the film equivalent of comfort food. I watched Lady in White the other day thoroughly enjoyed it.
Old 1st July 2017, 21:20

Mood
Happy

I'm enjoying the replies so far. I feel even if the specific films we like are different, I have an affinity with my fellow movie fans. In the two Meetup groups I belong to for films I've been able to have connecting conversations about films with people either quite a bit older or quite a bit younger than me, and from all walks of life. I feel lots of younger people enjoy TV and box sets as much or more than movies, but movies are still one of my favourite pastimes. I prefer them on the big screen, but if I had to I could still enjoy movies mostly at home to save money.
Old 1st July 2017, 22:00

Mood
Thinking

When I was younger I used to like rom coms a lot from the 80s and 90s but my tastes have changes dramatically over the years. I find modern films loud, brash, heavily reliant on special effects and no depth to them.

I now enjoy watching violent and dark films and films from different eras eg Goodfellas, Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction
Black and white films - All About Eve, Some Like it Hot, Brief Encounter.
Hitchcock films - Rear Window, Rope, Psycho.
Doris Day films from the 50s - Calamity Jane, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Love me or Leave.
Googie Withers films from the 40s - It Always Rains on Sunday, Dead of Night, Pink String and Sealing Wax.
Old 1st July 2017, 22:10

When I was a teenager I loved the big mainstream films (your Die Hards and your Star Wars and especially James Bond films), and art-house films (when they were on anyway. I loved it when BBC2 had film seasons showing the works of auteurs like Herzog and the films of the Dogme 95 movement, for example), foreign films (Although the section was very small in the video store, but I do remember loving Ingmar Bergman's films in particular), cult films (A Clockwork Orange, The Warriors, Clerks, Swingers, Planet of the Apes, Logan's Run, etc.), classic films (The Godfather, Jaws, The Dollars trilogy, etc.), the old classics (Citizen Kane, Lawrence of Arabia, Great Expectations, Hitchcock films, etc.), and the teenage films (The Goonies, Weird Science - I was crazy for all that stuff). I loved all genres except for romantic films and extreme horror films. I used to read a lot of film magazines, where I'd learn a lot about films from all ages and genres; if something sounded good I'd seek it out - although it was impossible to get anything before the internet.

I think that in my essence I've not changed much really. I still hate romantic films and I still hate extreme horror films (I love stuff like The Evil Dead, but I feel sick at the thought of horror films like the Saw series). My tastes are still the same; I still love all the same films and kind of films I loved then, from big blockbusters to art-house fare. But these days I'm more capable of detecting a film's deeper meaning because I have experience of studying film and art and I have more life experience. So I guess I can better appreciate more cerebral films these days, but they tend to still be the same films I liked anyway. I mean, as a teenager I loved Herzog films, but I wasn't picking up on their deeper meanings in the way that I am now able to, nor was I able to detect the subtle themes running through his oeuvre in the way that I now can (sort of).

Having said all that about my tastes not changing, I never liked Mike Leigh films until a few years ago. I haven't seen Naked for years but my mind still revisits my thoughts about it whenever I've learnt something new that might be applicable to a better understanding of it

And I don't love LOTR anymore. I used to go giddy for those films and that whole world. I try to like it in the way I used to but it just seems too silly now, laughable even.

I never get why people are down on modern films though. There's just as many good films being produced these days (in all genres!) as there ever was, you just have to look around for them.
Old 2nd July 2017, 14:26

^ That's interesting, what you say about liking the same films but being able to understand them better. I'm not very good at 'reading' films, but sometimes a film will just grab me and I'm not really sure why. I've been working my way through Roger Ebert's Great Movies. To be honest, some of them feel like a bit of a penance and I know I'm only watching them because I want to be 'cultured', but two of my favourites were The Passion of Joan of Arc and Ordet. I know these two films are very highly regarded but I didn't really expect to enjoy them, because frankly they sounded boring as hell. But there was something about them that had me glued to my seat. I don't really know what it was that made them so great. It wasn't that I appreciated them on some deep intellectual level. Just something to do with the way they were made, I suppose. I think there's something kind of mysterious about the way these sorts of films work on my brain. Maybe like Jinny said it's to do with the space and the slowness.

I'll never forget the time I watched David Lynch's Inland Empire. I don't have a clue what it was about but it scared the life out of me. I watched the whole thing in the dark wearing headphones and afterwards I felt like I'd been hypnotised or something. I had this really bad feeling that something horrible was about to happen. I almost felt like I was about to go mad. I had to go onto an internet chatroom and get people to talk me down.
Old 3rd July 2017, 11:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo34
Dramas mostly these days. I've always liked them but when I was younger I predominantly loved horror films (well chiller really I suppose), now they don't interest me at all very often. I used to like foreign language films but doubt I have the concentration these days.

I grew up watching mostly old films as my mum loved them. But did obviously see teenage films like Stand by me and so on. I love watching some of them now. It's like the film equivalent of comfort food. I watched Lady in White the other day thoroughly enjoyed it.
I never thought of it like that, but it is a comfort thing. I see it in the way my dad always watches old films & reruns of 'Cheers'. I go through phases of watching 'friends' and last month I watched some films I grew up with, like the Breakfast Club, the Outsiders, Ferris Beulers Day off, the Lost Boys, weird science, karate kid, rumblefish, all those brat pack films. Happy Days.
Old 5th July 2017, 05:03

Mood
Dramaqueen

I'm now stuck in a time warp of 80s reruns like Ghostbusters, Back to the Future and Gremlins. I literally don't have the time or the concentration span to take in and process anything new. I watch new stuff in stages, over several sittings, but if I'm honest I haven't found any recent films that have made a lasting impression. I find old familiar films (or bits of them) most comforting due to their familiarity and no need to try to keep up with the plot lines!
Old 5th July 2017, 13:36

Mood
Happy

Absolutely nothing wrong with finding comfort in old movies Carrot*Cake! So long as we are not living our whole lives in the past I think there is a lot of enjoyment to be had in a wee bit of nostalgia. I still play Belinda Carlisle songs that's my guilty pleasure!
Old 5th July 2017, 18:38

Mood
Tired

Most films I watch are foreign language and/or arthouse films, they have an aesthetic you just don't find with British films, or maybe it's just escapism. I like directors like Kryzstof Kieslowski, Bela Tarr, Wim Wenders and Pedro Almodovar, I pretty much have the entire output of all of those on DVD, and watching Dekalog actually inspired me to visit Warsaw and seek out some of the locations, as well as Kieslowski's grave. My local library has a decent DVD section so I'll head over and take out a film or two most weeks and I've discovered lots of great films that way.

My tastes have not really changed since my 20s, and I have little desire to watch Hollywood blockbusters or re-watch films from my 80s teen years. What has changed is that I'm much 'better' at watching films now. Previously anxiety, OCD and my racing thoughts meant I found it difficult to concentrate and found watching films an ordeal. Nowadays I can handle that better and appreciate a film without beating myself up for not understanding some deep meaning behind everything.
Old 6th July 2017, 08:35

^ Bela Tarr is a recent discovery for me. I watched Werckmeister Harmonies a few months ago and it blew my mind. Any suggestions on which of his films I should see next? I know there is a seven hour one but I don't know if I have the stamina for that.
Old 6th July 2017, 19:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrot*Cake
I'm now stuck in a time warp of 80s reruns like Ghostbusters, Back to the Future and Gremlins. I literally don't have the time or the concentration span to take in and process anything new. I watch new stuff in stages, over several sittings, but if I'm honest I haven't found any recent films that have made a lasting impression. I find old familiar films (or bits of them) most comforting due to their familiarity and no need to try to keep up with the plot lines!
Same as me really. Don't mind 80s films but the rubbish that is out today ,well mainstream stuff just doesn't interest me.
Old 6th July 2017, 21:22

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus
^ Bela Tarr is a recent discovery for me. I watched Werckmeister Harmonies a few months ago and it blew my mind. Any suggestions on which of his films I should see next? I know there is a seven hour one but I don't know if I have the stamina for that.
I love Werckmeister Harmonies too. The opening scene with Valuska describing the eclipse is extraordinary. I have Satantango (the 7 hour one) on DVD but haven't got round to watching it yet. It's spread out over 3 DVDs at least.

The one you should watch next is Damnation. If you liked Werckmeister Harmonies you would like it too. Only 2 hours and beautiful in a gloomy, black & white, rain lashed way
Old 7th July 2017, 05:37

^ Thanks! Sounds like just the kind of film I like.
Old 8th July 2017, 06:38

Mood
Relaxed

I find I don't have the attention span for them any more, or the time. I tend to like kids movies mostly now as they don't tend to get too deep or emotional.
Old 18th July 2017, 12:01

Mood
Tired

My tastes have stayed the same with action movies being my favourite. Most of them have been from the 80's and 90's.
Old 1st August 2017, 18:03

Mood
Happy

I saw Before Sunrise on Friday at the Glasgow Film Theatre, first saw it 22 years ago. The 35 mm print made the film look older and definitely from that time period, and yet I strongly remembered seeing it at the cinema twice back then. Wow the 22 years have flown by!
Old 2nd August 2017, 13:12

Mood
Melancholy

I just finished working my way through John Carpenter's movies, which I loved as a teenager and still love over 30 years later. There were several which I had not seen since disposing of my VHS collection some years ago and have now bought again. Basically everything between Dark Star and Big trouble in Little China is great. Some of the later stuff has its moments (They Live, even Vampires). Recently I saw 'It Follows', which is basically the best John Carpenter movie not made by John Carpenter!

The golden era for movies (for me anyway) was bookended by two Stephen Spielberg films - Starting with Jaws and ending with Jurassic Park. All the movies I re-watch most fall in that time period (1975-1993). This includes the original Indiana Jones movies, The Mad Max trilogy, the two first Predator, Alien and Terminator films, Spielberg's best films, Blade Runner, John Carpenter's best films, Ferris Beuller, the Evil dead films and the best two George Romero zombie movies. Even the original Star Wars trilogy (though I'm not a big fan).

Of more recent movies I loved both Guardian's of the Galaxy films, Paddington, The Martian and a few others but none have come close to those listed above. I first saw Raiders of the lost Ark in the cinema when I was a teenager and no movie since has left me with such a big grin on my face!
Old 2nd August 2017, 13:28

Mood
Happy

Maybe I should watch Raiders sometime, it came up in conversation recently and my friend thought it was great and was shocked I had never seen it.
Old 2nd August 2017, 15:07

Mood
Melancholy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasgowFilmTheatreFan
Maybe I should watch Raiders sometime, it came up in conversation recently and my friend thought it was great and was shocked I had never seen it.
Still probably my favourite film. We saw it again a few years ago at our local art-house cinema when it had a 30th anniversary showing. Nice to see on a big screen again (complete with early 80s adverts for Kia-Ora etc). Unfortunately I think it was also a 30-year old print and was scratched to hell!
Old 2nd August 2017, 15:09

Mood
Melancholy

By the way - I loved Lost in Translation too. Nice to hear you are another fan.
Old 2nd August 2017, 15:13

The same as ever (sadly?). I still like films to be fluff and escapism,except now the newer films of that type I see trailed don`t interest me at best and irritate me beyond belief at worst,whilst the older films I still love are just about wearing out on my how-many-times-can-I-watch-even-this scale. End result is I barely watch any now.

It`s probably bad that I have become no more deep or intellectual than ever,just slightly more saggy and wrinkled.
Old 9th August 2017, 05:59

Mood
Volatile

My taste has always remained the same - horror films.
Old 9th August 2017, 21:51
Banned at own request

I still think what I liked in my childhood and teens is the best stuff. I do enjoy exploring new films, and have really loved getting into Bergman and Tarkovsky recently, but for guaranteed enjoyment I'll always stick in a 1980s movie; Spielberg, John Hughes, Rob Zemeckis, Joe Dante etc.
Old 10th August 2017, 16:30

Mood
Happy

Have discovered a new favourite thing, Italian comedies and romantic comedies. I love the way the language sounds, it's so expressive and musical! Watch "Bread and Tulips" from the year 2000 this afternoon, and have been on Ebay and ordered "Days And Clouds", one called "Agatha and the Storm" and another called "Garibaldi's Lovers". Italian film festival at my house guys!
Old 11th August 2017, 00:38
Banned at own request

^I love Italian cinema. I watched a lot when I was trying to learn the language. There is so much great stuff. Some excellent Benigni comedies too. I recall seeing Days and Clouds in the cinema.
Old 11th August 2017, 01:26

Mood
Happy

Bit of a diversion, but did you enjoy learning Italian Phil? I studied Spanish for quite a while but never quite seriously enough to get the grammar right, however I could hold a conversation. I was thinking at some point, perhaps next year rather than this one, about either going to Uni leisure evening classes or getting Skype lessons on Italki to try some Italian as a change of pace, since my Spanish has plateaued, would you recommend it or do you think I'd end up mixing the two and continually coming out with sentences that are a mix of Spanish and Italian? Do you have an opinion on whether group night classes or individual Skype tuition is better?

I haven't seen much Italian stuff in the cinema but loved the hangdog expression of the protagonist in "Mid-August Lunch" and of the more serious stuff I saw the film with Sofia Loren where's she's stuck at home on the day Hitler came to visit Mussolini and flirts with Marcello Mastroianni. There is a small Italian film festival in Glasgow each year but it's very small, literally six films. The French film festival each autumn is much bigger but I guess we are part of a well-funded national touring festival for French films, supported by Canal+, Alliance Francaise etc.