SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 26th August 2017, 17:19

Default Anybody tried mindfulness?....

And if so, what do you think?

(Note that i put 'do' and not 'did' cos mindfulness is an ongoing thing).

Imo, its brilliant.
Old 26th August 2017, 23:37

Default Re: Anybody tried mindfulness?....

Yes,I got a book on it a couple of months ago. It seems similar to the Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle. In fact some anxiety self help books I have looked at even have a section on mindfulness as its considered highly useful. I think it can help a lot along with relaxation exercises. I'd really like to meditate as well but I find it hard to get enough peace in this area.
Old 27th August 2017, 08:42

Its all about being in the here and now. Some days i find easier than others depending on what worries i have going on, but i've started practising relaxed breathing alongside it, so i do 7 in and 11 out and if i find that difficult because i'm breathless i do 4 in and 8 out. As long as your breaths out are longer than your breaths in.

But when i have a good day practising i feel calm, relaxed, happier, focussed, friendlier. When i have a difficult day and cant manage to do it i go back to my unhelpful thing and old behaviour but i know i have the ability to get back into it.

Do you know why people are happy at Christmas because everyone's in the moment.
Old 27th August 2017, 09:52

Do you attend classes, or just practice mindfulness at home? By the way I think your username is my favourite on the forum
Old 27th August 2017, 10:15

Aww thank you Newbs16. When i couldnt think of a username i just looked in a cookbook and picked out picalilli and then changed it a bit.

I did a similar mindful course years ago about how being in the present helps and i kept it in mind but the rest has been things i've found online.
Old 27th August 2017, 19:41

Mood
Insomnious

I've tried mindlessness a lot. To achieve this level of enlightenment you just need to drink a lot. Doesn't work. I'm very interested in the idea of mindfulness. Live in the now, which isn't an invitation to drink too much tequilla (does anyone actually like that shit?) and have as much unprotected sex as possible because future STDs don't count because you're living in the present!.

People with depression and anxiety live too much in the past or the future. Depression is worrying about the past and anxiety is worrying about the future. I imagine that most people here have both to some degree, and we could all do with paying more attention to the life that is unfolding in front of our stupid noses rather than beating ourselves up for something stupid we said years ago or constantly worrying about things that will probably never happen.
Old 28th August 2017, 14:19

^Agree

You cannot predict the future and
The past is gone and not worth bothering about

So be aware of your thinking and when you think of the future or past bring your mind back to the moment.

Use your 5 senses to keep you in the present ie hearing smell taste touch and sight.
Old 27th September 2017, 14:05

Mood
Mellow

Yes I did a college course in it which ran for about 12 weeks. I wasn't sure it was going to work at first but thought free course,might as well,even if just to meet other people. I thought it was really good,left it ages ago and haven't bothered with the meditation since but when the class used to end I felt a lot more relaxed than I did when I walked in there.
Old 27th September 2017, 18:53

Mood
Lurking

I use it on a daily basis. Not in any structured way because I don't need to do it like that now, but it's helped me change my life very much for the better. I used to virtually live inside my head and my life was dominated by my thoughts, but no more, and that is thanks to Mindfulness and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) which also employs mindfulness as a major component.

I'm happy to hear how good it's been for you, Picka_lilly.
Old 27th September 2017, 20:35

Mood
Alienated

I do and it's very helpful. I listen to YouTube videos to help me.

I just don't do enough of it though, and find it difficult to do it routinely. That's probably the most difficult part, to actually get in the routine of doing it.
Old 4th October 2017, 15:43

Mood
Daring

Mindfulness is more of a state of mind, Aleks. It's a heightened state of mind and consciousness whereby you are aware of your feelings, thoughts, or your surroundings and anything else you can observe or are experiencing such as, perhaps, room temperature, physical sensations and so on. It sounds more complicated or daunting than it actually is and, certainly, when you enter this heightened state, it's easy to just stay there. Remaining in this state empowers you to deal with the anxiety and related symptoms by simply noting and observing these as they materialise and then watching as they wane, fade in intensity and eventually vanish altogether.
Old 4th October 2017, 17:33
Co-Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks
I just don't do enough of it though, and find it difficult to do it routinely. That's probably the most difficult part, to actually get in the routine of doing it.
Agreed. When I do it, it definitely benefits me and I can see the difference. But it tends to fall by the wayside when I get caught up in all of the stuff I have to do
Old 21st October 2017, 19:22

I am still practising. Problem is sometimes I forget to do it or i get carried away with being busy etc or letting unhelpful thinking get the better of me and i go back to square one with levels of anxiety and panic and that's enough to get me back on track again. It's surprising how many people suffer with anxiety problems as well because now a friend of mine is doing mindfulness 10 mins a day and I never thought she needed it.
Old 21st October 2017, 20:15

I did the 8 week MBCT (mindfulness based Cognitive Therapy) course about 5 years ago and was really into it at the time. As always it fell by the wayside over time - but after becoming seriously ill a few months ago I have re visited it and am faithfully meditating every day in an attempt to sort myself out. I think it is very beneficial, but I also think there might be a danger it can lead to too much introspection if approached in the wrong way. Also I am aware I have been using it as a means of procrastination - though as displacement activities go it isn't the worst thing you could do! There are some apps that can be helpful - one I use is Headspace - which you have to pay for - although you can get a year's subscription "free" by joining Anxiety UK (http://www.anxietyuk.org.uk). Also the Oxford MBCT app (designed to support the 8 week course) if you have an iPhone or it's also available as a website at http://mbctapp.oxfordmindfulness.org. This is completely free and has a whole bunch of guided meditations.