SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 4th September 2017, 16:12

Default To those of you off work, chilling at home, what about working online?

Now that there are so many different ways to make money online, do most of you who are off work or prefer to stay in doing any kind of remote work?

I would've loved to have done this back in the day, rather than doing rubbish local jobs.

Just wondering what SA people's thoughts are on this?

Peace.
Old 4th September 2017, 16:15

Default Re: To those of you off work, chilling at home, what about working online?

It interests me but I honestly wouldn't have a clue where to start.
Old 4th September 2017, 16:18

Default Re: To those of you off work, chilling at home, what about working online?

What sort of work would you like to do?

Do you have any skills?
Old 4th September 2017, 17:24

Mood
Cynical

What kind of jobs can you do working online from home?
Old 5th September 2017, 16:45

Mood
Curious

For me this would be stressful especially in a lower skill role such as admin, data entry or virtual assistant, simply because of the competition. There would be pressure to get enough work and some of it might not be that enjoyable. For example at peopleperhour you will be competing with people all over the world and your pricing will have to reflect this to get work.

There is Ebay + Amazon, however I don’t think this would be an easy option either.

If you had built up a skill and enjoyed what you did, say graphic design or a tech role, then it may be easier to get work and the job would be more enjoyable, so it may be easier to cope with the worry of not getting enough work.

Does anyone work online from home – what do you do – would you recommend it?

My #1 least stressful job would be working in a foreign exchange booth, preferably one that was manned by one person.
Old 5th September 2017, 17:01
Banned at own request

I used to work from home doing freelance web development. I would have to go out and see clients and try to sell my services but the majority of the work was from home.

Then I started up my firm initially working from home. Unfortunately (depending on how you look at it) the firm grew and we took on staff so I had to go 9 - 5 in an office, that was the start of my decline. I managed to put it off though, we actually had 2 staff at one point, one worked at my house and one at my business partners. Strange arrangement. Now there is seven of us but I dont go in anymore.

I also did IT support from home for a while, driving out to visit freelancers in their homes to fix their PCs and stuff, I loved the variety and enjoyed the driving but many were in central london, I really hated all the public transport for just 5 minutes plugging a cable in or installing something

Lots of programmers and developers work from home on an individual job by job basis.

I lived off ebay for a few years too but started to struggle when all my local post offices closed and I had to go to larger ones with huge queues.

It can be very hard to keep yourself motivated though, it is really important to have a proper plan if you are working for yourself.

I am currently looking for my next project but it will most certainly be something online from home.
Old 5th September 2017, 17:08

Mood
Sweettooth

Stocks and shares is obviously the best option, seeing as you'll be receiving tens of thousands of pounds a year of hard working tax payer's money (you must be hard working if you're paying income tax), have zero expenses, get all your food from food banks, and a free car.
(Possible sarcasm)

I don't have any real suggestions (unless you're good with computers), it's a shame more companies don't allow working from home, for some reason everyone has to be crammed into shitty offices.

^ Hey! Don't knock plugging in cables! Next you'll be telling me turning things off and on again is boring
Old 5th September 2017, 17:19

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddity
Stocks and shares is obviously the best option, seeing as you'll be receiving tens of thousands of pounds a year of hard working tax payer's money (you must be hard working if you're paying income tax), have zero expenses, get all your food from food banks, and a free car.
(Possible sarcasm)

I don't have any real suggestions (unless you're good with computers), it's a shame more companies don't allow working from home, for some reason everyone has to be crammed into shitty offices.

^ Hey! Don't knock plugging in cables! Next you'll be telling me turning things off and on again is boring
You forgot to mention the free Foreign holidays (at least 3 times a year)
as well as the 2nd Free Car too.
(Also Possible Sarcasm)
Old 5th September 2017, 17:24

Mood
Sweettooth

^ I thought 2nd free car and a mansion had been discontinued?
Old 5th September 2017, 17:30

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddity
^ I thought 2nd free car and a mansion had been discontinued?
I thought it was the 3rd Free car that had been taken away?

And surely the Free Giant Mansion is still available? Ime sure I read it was (in the Daily Mail or possibly The Sun?)

Surely such publications wouldn't get information like that wrong.......
Old 5th September 2017, 17:34

Mood
Sweettooth

^ I think that's just for immigrants

Sorry, enough derailing
Old 5th September 2017, 17:41

Mood
Pensive

I'd love to do this but I don't have wifi because I can't afford it. I just have to make do with my smartphone if I want to go online. I don't have any skills either so I don't know what I could do.

When I was in my late teens and early 20s, I'd sometimes go to the job centre to enquire about working from home, but the advisors would always say that I couldn't do that because staying indoors wouldn't help with my anxiety. That's true, obviously, but it's not that cut and dried. Instead of languishing at home not doing much, I could have been earning money, which would've built up my confidence and perhaps enabled me to aquire a skill. So there were opportunities to work from home, but I was blocked from accessing them and I didn't know where to go from there.
Old 5th September 2017, 17:59

Mood
Musical

I'd also like to work from home, but I don't really have any skills. I mean, i guess I have certain admin experience etc, but I don't know how I'd go about doing work from home!

Has anyone had any experience doing Leaflet Distribution jobs? I think that's something that might interest me for now. I almost did it a few years ago, but I couldn't bare to answer my phone when they rang me up to tell me about it.
Old 5th September 2017, 18:15

Mood
Curious

@ flumpsy

That's quite an achievement especially getting to the point where you are employing people

How did you market yourself when you did the freelance web development?

Good luck with your next project
Old 5th September 2017, 18:24
Banned at own request

^ thank you e&r, I am quite proud of what I have managed although I doubt I would have even got started if I thought through the likely future of it.

For the web development it was quite a while ago and I was just starting out so I was basically going door to door into every shop with my laptop, explaining what a basic "online brochure" type thing could do for them. Giving a little demo in a shop in between customers coming and going. It wasnt so bad. It was back when everybody thought they should be on the internet but had no idea why. I was a lot better back then, it was terrifying but I was a bit better at that kind of thing, and nobody knew what a good developer was so I got away with it

Thinking about it I also worked from home for a year or so doing sound effects and music for some computer games. I loved that but then once a month I had to go in to london and demo it to a boardroom full of suits. My confidence has always been really low, I found that so stressful.
Old 5th September 2017, 20:01

Mood
Sluggish

I get my income from buying and selling shares but it's not very practical for majority of people so not something I'd recommend. Interesting to learn, though. I've also written video games (freelance and for myself) but there's no money in that these days.
Old 5th September 2017, 20:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Dog
What sort of work would you like to do?

Do you have any skills?
No I don't think I do, no work experience either. I'm creative and love the idea of selling artwork but I know that's a pie in the sky idea in reality.
Not self pitying here but I genuinely think I'm useless.
Old 6th September 2017, 12:14

^ that's what I want to do too, Clementine. I don't think it's pie in the sky, not for me and not for you either

You just need a product or style that's consistent (which I know can be hard in itself) & then when you've built up enough stock, try & sell it, what have you got to lose?
Old 5th October 2017, 11:29

I work from home and it certainly has its upsides, but its not all roses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erase&rewind
My #1 least stressful job would be working in a foreign exchange booth, preferably one that was manned by one person.
Counting all that cash while people are trying to chat to you about their holidays or distract you so you miss count and give them more money? Sounds like hell!
Old 5th October 2017, 11:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clementine
No I don't think I do, no work experience either. I'm creative and love the idea of selling artwork but I know that's a pie in the sky idea in reality.
Have you looked into Merch by Amazon? It's free and you upload your designs to be put on t-shirts.

If someone buys one, Amazon collects the money from them, prints the t-shirt, ships it to them and pays you your royalties.

It could be a good creative outlet with a way to earn a few quid a month?

PM me if you want more info.
Old 15th October 2017, 20:54

I've tried to make jewellery and sell on ebay, and am also selling pet portraits. Neither of them have made me much money though but I'll keep trying. I hope you find something.
Old 15th October 2017, 21:11

Mood
Lurking

Those of you doing artsy projects, have you considered Etsy instead of ebay?

I know it's my go to place for custom made arty things.

I've considered working from home too, but know that I lack the motivation to do it. If I'm not physically unable to access my gaming PC / games consoles then I'm completely unable to concentrate.
Old 15th October 2017, 21:29

Mood
Relaxed

Yes, eBay is pretty dead these days in general. Etsy is much better for selling crafted products.
Old 15th October 2017, 21:30

That's something I've considered, and also Folksy which is the same type of thing but in the UK. I will look into both
Old 16th October 2017, 19:17

Mood
Mellow

Anyone considered 3d printing? There are free sites with files to download with useful things to make.
Old 16th October 2017, 19:30

Another option for working online is Aspen. You do stuff which helps search results