SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 13th September 2017, 10:02

Default I enrolled in a college

Figured I had to just push myself to do something, something to get me out of the house and back into a routine after being a hermit for over 5 years. I'll be going twice a week for 2 hours each class, I'm pretty damn nervous, but at the same time I'm somewhat looking forward to it.
Old 13th September 2017, 20:45

Default Re: I enrolled in a college

This is no longer positive. Just attended my 1st class, lots of loud outspoken people, a teacher that can be quite sarcastic and I realised just how bad I am at maths. At least I'm in there with my sister so I'm not alone. However, my English class which starts on Tuesday I will be completely on my own, and I overheard some girls talking about their 1st English class and they had to do a public presentation, e.g: getting up in front of the class and introducing themselves ETC. So not only will I be alone in an unfamiliar environment I will also have to do public speaking. It's a shame this started out as a positive, now - I'm on a complete downer.
Old 13th September 2017, 22:32

Mood
Tired

Great stuff enrolling on the college classes. The positive thing is you can feel more prepared for the small presentation whereas some others may not be aware of it, if it happens on that day. I haven't done many talks before, but i suppose i would just mention what my interests were and what i think i would like to do after finishing the courses. You'll feel stronger about yourself afterwards and it will feel easier finishing the English course by yourself.
Old 13th September 2017, 22:38

Sorry it didn't worked out so well. However, you supposed to be prepared for something like this, being shut from the world for 5 years. It might get better with time.

I had similar experience this year, but I was off from social things for about 8 months only. I wanted to leave during my first class and never come back, but I returned and eventually it get better and it was actually great But my group consisted from 10-14 people and it happened that they all weren't really loud, except the teacher, who was the real actor and a funny guy

I'm just thinking, it might get better for you
Are you doing Functional Skills in English and Maths?
Old 13th September 2017, 22:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy
Sorry it didn't worked out so well. However, you supposed to be prepared for something like this, being shut from the world for 5 years. It might get better with time.

I had similar experience this year, but I was off from social things for about 8 months only. I wanted to leave during my first class and never come back, but I returned and eventually it get better and it was actually great But my group consisted from 10-14 people and it happened that they all weren't really loud, except the teacher, who was the real actor and a funny guy

I'm just thinking, it might get better for you
Are you doing Functional Skills in English and Maths?
yeah I should have been better prepared, I only went down with my mum on friday to see what it was all about, ended up booking an assessment thing, which I did yesterday, and today was my first class. I go twice a week Tuesday and Wednesday for two hours each. It isn't the Functional Skills, I am just re-taking my GCSE Maths & English, one day I want to go to university, and obviously in general it will improve my job prospects. I hope it will get better...
Old 14th September 2017, 17:10

Mood
Balanced

Keep trying, personally I think this is a great move well done.
Old 18th September 2017, 15:46

Well done for enrolling a the college. It can be scary at first put keep pushing yourself and you'll be glad you did it.

As someone who also suffers with SA I plucked up the courage to go back to college to re-train for a change of career at the age of 34 (I know right, lol!). That was 5 years ago and I'm really glad I did it as I now work for a college as a lecturer.

Some of my own students suffer with social anxiety (you'd be surprised how many). Be brave and you'll be fine. Talk to Student Support at your college, they're there to help and support students. They help lots of students with many problems including students suffering with anxiety.
Old 18th September 2017, 16:00

Well done on pushing yourself to do the course.

I too have just signed up to a GCSE maths course at college after years of doing nothing. I've wanted to do one for ages but never had the courage. I start this week and I'm so nervous about going. Oh especially now I've read about the presentation thing.
I just hope i don't bottle it and end up not going.

How have you been getting on since your last post ?
Old 26th September 2017, 22:21

Mood
Thinking

Well, keep trying... It's never too late. I started my degree at 26 after dropping out the first time due to anxiety/depression issues. School is not the be all and end all of everything, just follow your passions with the best of intentions and the good things will come in time.

Different people deal with insecurities in different ways. Sometimes the people who are loud and sarcastic are making up for something else missing in their lives. Just try to ignore it and continue with what you want to do.

I honestly think I could teach myself GCSE English/Maths and get an A* in Maths if they were the only subjects I was doing. Don't be intimidated, I'm really not all that bright and I got an A in maths the first time. If you have the option of not going to the classes, then I would just take the time to learn it in a more calming environment, or in the way you prefer, I know how anxiety can ruin concentration. (this may not be an option but it should be). Maths is really easy to teach yourself, just get a good textbook and focus. Start with the easy things and work up, and don't give up. Literally, the hardest thing I remember from GCSE maths was the quadratic equations, and you could easily still get a C without doing that question. Remember it's for 16 year olds who have to do 6-10+ subjects.
Old 27th September 2017, 12:54

Mood
Mellow

Well done on taking that step in to going to college. I think from experience the only way sometimes that we can make changes is to push the boundaries and take yourself out of the comfort zone. It is daunting especially the public speaking part and I can understand why you would be worried about that,but you are making some really positive steps there.
Old 30th September 2017, 22:03

great to hear you took those positive steps into doing a college course, sorry to hear that it has been difficult. it could be the feeling of being overwhelmed when you are so conditioned to being alone for such a long period? hope you stick it out, on the plus side its not every day you need to attend? so it's going to be easier than a 5 days a week course.