SAUK Discussion Board

SAUK Discussion Board (http://www.social-anxiety-community.org/db/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.social-anxiety-community.org/db/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Which sort of deodorant do you use? (http://www.social-anxiety-community.org/db/showthread.php?t=95315)

biscuits 2nd June 2023 18:03

Which sort of deodorant do you use?

Tell us about the upkeep of your pits.

Recently I made the switch to a natural, refillable deodorant. It was the worst decision of March. Apparently it takes a while for your body to cleanse itself of the aluminium in other deodorants. It's not antiperspirant either.

I don't want to be smelly at work (or anywhere really haha) so I think I'm going to wait for some time off to try it out again properly.

Which sort of deodorant do you use? Do you have a reason why?
[The poll is multiple choise as sometimes we use a range]

Shy_pretty_Angela 2nd June 2023 18:28

Re: Which sort of deodorant do you use?

Ive gotten into natural deoderants recently. They smell really nice

biscuits 2nd June 2023 18:29

They do smell really nice. I keep opening and sniffing it hehe but I then get a bit smelly. Maybe I'm wearing too many layers.

Jam do Bronx 2nd June 2023 18:37

The ball deodorant. I use them for my armpits too.

Laurel 2nd June 2023 18:37

I use cow manure. I pick some from the local fields then dollop it under each arm.

Jam do Bronx 2nd June 2023 18:44

^ You and your friend have never been on the tube. I've had to change carriage once because I was squeezed into a space with my face 1cm (10mm/0.4inches) away from this guy's armpit, and the smell was completely intolerable and unacceptable. Whilst between stations I had to use every effort as humanly possible to not vomit.

BFG_ 2nd June 2023 19:23

Right guard clean. It's the only one I've found that works and doesn't make me sneeze.

Though as I'm currently having minimum 3 showers per day due to hayfever I'm not sure it's even worth using deodorant.

Chess&Junkfood 2nd June 2023 19:26

I honestly can't remember the name without looking at it. Although it's one of those roll on deodorants. As for why I can't remember. It's probably linked with having less zest in me these days. Whereas in my 20s, even though I still can't remember the names of those deodorants, I do remember them being very scenty!

This is the best way for me to describe the possible names of those deodorants:

My prime years deodorants

Scent of a Stallion

Waves of Passion

Unleashing The Juice

My seasoned years deodorants

Fresh Linen

Morning Mist

The Scent of Grandpa

Update:

I've just checked. It turns out my current deodorant is Nivea Men. Although it's probably similar to the scent of Grandpa

biscuits 2nd June 2023 19:41

^ for some reason, I had you down as a Brut guy.

Actually I think I mean Old Spice.

Is that deodorant?

Shy_pretty_Angela 2nd June 2023 19:50

I use one too from Soft and gentle which is Vanilla and Rose. It smells like perfume. I go for natural because I believe them to be superior but I think that is a myth honestly. Its a marketing ploy but because of the BC connection.
I believe in the philosophy of natural but also think main stream products are safe!

Also...do we think as a society we wash too much and too often? Generations before us used to have a bath once a week! I was less now and dont notice I smell more!
What do you think the whole deoderant pressure is about,?
Do you think we are being made paranoid that we smell all the time,,,?
My friend at Uni years ago told me if you rub yourself with a raw onion it smells like bad BO...so thats a tip for y'all

biscuits 2nd June 2023 21:26

^ I'm definitely a bit obsessive over washing and smelling fresh :laughing:. I can't cope without showering and washing my hair every day.

When I'm too ill to wash I just feel so grotty. I feel like there's a film all over me. But my hair is grateful like, "thanks, babe!"

I bought some new pyjamas the other day and it took all of my might to stop myself from putting them through the washing machine before wearing them. I'm trying not to be so weird about these things haha

biscuits 2nd June 2023 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Existential Jam (Post 2574727)

delayed :laughing:

Shy_pretty_Angela 2nd June 2023 21:45

I know what you mean biscuits. I used to have a daily bath as a kind of ritual. Mostly just for relaxation but now I cant Im thinking differently about these things

Your Mum 2nd June 2023 22:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Existential Jam (Post 2574727)

I use aerosol deodorant. Although it really stings when you spray it there.

Tembo 2nd June 2023 22:56

There have been a few occasions when I’ve been horrified to find out that I’ve been the smelly BO person on a packed Tube train or at work. Those occasions were just using spray deodorant (and yes I did shower in the morning). So now I use both a roll on deodorant for the armpits and also a spray deodorant on top. I’m paranoid I’ll be a smelly sod again.

I also wonder if I should wear fragrances (is it called aftershave?) more (not on top of my two other methods of course, that would be overkill!). The thing is, a few times I’ve worn it people have asked if I could also smell ‘woman's perfume’ or asked if I’m wearing it. But then I’ve also heard that a lot of people like it when men wear a fragrance. So I’m confused about that one…

Shy_pretty_Angela 2nd June 2023 23:06

A good idea might be to carry some body wipes with you.
I never really used these before but they are really good for wiping under arms and really refreshing.
Aftershave or scent on a man is really nice I think.as long as its subtle and not too in your face

Chess&Junkfood 2nd June 2023 23:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by biscuits (Post 2574738)
^ for some reason, I had you down as a Brut guy.

Actually I think I mean Old Spice.

Is that deodorant?

I've never tried Brut before Biscuit. It seems like it would be too much of a scent for me to handle:

Brut! A gigantic scent for an incredibly gigantic man!!!!! Roar!!!!!!!!!

As for the Old Spice. That takes me back to when I was about 10. Where I'd go to a working men's club with my Grandparents. And my Grandad would usually splash on the Old Spice before going out. That and his Brylcreem. Which was quite an experience on the nostrils when combined. Then when we got there, I remember some of the men would also smell like my Grandad. Looking back, I think I kept expecting them to transform into one big Grandad. Then when my nostrils eventually acclimatised, it was time to play bingo. Where to this day, I remember I could have won £5! If only I had shouted house! But alas Biscuit, I was too shy to shout anything that night. Although I would have probably just spent the money on sweets. Either that, or a bottle of Brut!

Appear 2nd June 2023 23:44

I don't want to show off but I could actually not wear deodorant. I sometimes forget to and it doesn't make a difference. I wouldn't want to make out it makes me better than all you smelly-creviced deplorables but if your pits get ming, you won't be my king.

It probably helps that I shower every morning and am shitting lazy.

Anyway, I use whatever my partner has. (Why pay if you can be gay?)

Shy_pretty_Angela 3rd June 2023 00:41

Its actually true we dont need stuff like deoderants etc. Im not especially sweaty even in Summer although I know some are but really we are designed to sweat.

I remember once seeing this woman in a gym changing room sraying this aerosol with gusto all under her arms and then everywhere else...and she looked really intense like her life depended on it!

Jen. 3rd June 2023 07:31

I don't use any, I don't need to.

British people always seem surprised that BO isn't something that affects the whole world. The gene is linked to ear wax for some reason, so if you have wet earwax, as in it comes out sticky rather than as powder, you have BO. There will be people here who probably don't even realise it's not something that affects them because they're under the impression (thanks to Big Deodorant!) that it's something everyone has. (Black below is the rate of BO/wet ear wax across the world):

https://i.imgur.com/PP0zkih.png

Laurel 3rd June 2023 08:05

what the heck. Interesting

BFG_ 3rd June 2023 08:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Devil, Probably. (Post 2574774)
Never used it, never needed it. As long as one washes (with water and cloth) in the morning it's really not necessary and is mostly a con. If anyone actually "needs" deodorant that strikes me as more of a comment on their hygiene or health, because human armpits shouldn't have much of a smell.

My guess is you've never done a day's hard physical work in your life. Try working a few weeks on a building site then come back to this thread. :laughing:

Laurel 3rd June 2023 08:18

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...mell-different

" the more meat you consume the more pleasant your BO smells."

RIGHT, I'M HAVING MORE MEAT.

biscuits 3rd June 2023 08:44

^

https://i.postimg.cc/5NW1B7Zy/IMG-4938.jpg

Love the graphic :laughing:

"Mmm steamy."

Shy_pretty_Angela 3rd June 2023 09:28

At the end of the day its personal choice too for all of us! Some of us just get into habits . Like my 80 year old mum likes to put deoderant on after her bath at my place and she doesnt sweat! I dont sweat much but again I like the smells sometimes!
I dont know if this is a pampering thing for girls!
I recently started a lot of research into the 'clean' skincare industry and for a while got very into that! Again thats an interesting debate because many products targeted to us are marketed as Organic and yet the research doesnt support their safety or superiority so again...personal choice!

Shy_pretty_Angela 3rd June 2023 13:19

Probably just soap and water. I might do that experiment where you dont wash for a year...then sell my story to the daily mail :)

Laurel 3rd June 2023 15:09

Daily Mail Journalist: I ain't interviewing 'er :tongue1:

Shy_pretty_Angela 3rd June 2023 15:52

I remember someone did an article like that a few years ago! It was for a week though! This high maintenance woman who didnt wash! It was strangely compulsive reading!
The thing is...in reality we all might feel happier if we led a more simple life!

Laurel 3rd June 2023 16:08

yeah I agree I mean half of shower gels we don't need. Most of it just goes down the drain and we waste a production of a pointless plastic bottle.