SAUK Discussion Board

SAUK Discussion Board (http://www.social-anxiety-community.org/db/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.social-anxiety-community.org/db/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Book club (http://www.social-anxiety-community.org/db/showthread.php?t=94726)

The Golden Sprout 14th September 2022 15:34

Book club

Is anyone interested in doing a book club together? :) Here are some ideas on what and how we could read:
  • We can read short works (stories or novellas) - works that would take up to 5 hours to finish (150 pages tops). We could do a story every 2 or 3 weeks or even be flexible and just let each other know when our schedules allow it
  • We can pick the work in two rounds: first choose the general mood or theme, and then pick the title itself
  • I think it would be most rewarding to choose either something classic and/or poignant that can lead to an open discussion and/or differing views, or simply something light and fun that can yield further discussion
  • We can discuss the readings either on a Zoom or Discord call (video not necessary), or in a thread in writing. Personally, I think a call is better, and I'm saying that fully aware that I'm on a social anxiety board. I just think it can be a more positive and more memorable experience

How does that sound? Do let me know about any other suggestions or simply post to register your interest if this seems like something you'd be up for!

Mike.Kzov 14th September 2022 18:24

Re: Book club

What a good idea. I'm interested.

biscuits 14th September 2022 18:25

I'm interested too :D

βetty 14th September 2022 21:30

I'd be interested :)

Mike.Kzov 15th September 2022 11:24

Book suggestions:

https://productimages.worldofbooks.com/1846276845.jpg

It's not too long, more a novella than a novel. It's an easy read, really funny with a likeable, unusual main character.

https://cdn.waterstones.com/bookjack...0241387160.jpg

Also not too long. It's a classic, but still an exciting, scary read.

The Golden Sprout 15th September 2022 13:45

I love that there's already three of you! :waving:

Mike, great suggestions! Convenience Store Woman is actually among my most recent reads and I found it very refreshing, so I'd really like to re-read and talk about it.

I've not yet read TWotW and I do want to, so this is a tough choice.

Betty, biscuits, what do you think of the choices above? :)

biscuits 15th September 2022 18:19

I really like the sound of Convenience Store Woman

(I haven't managed to read an entire book (of more than 12 pages) since I was a child haha so I'm the last person to ask.)

Happy with either choice :D

The Golden Sprout 16th September 2022 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by biscuits (Post 2553156)
I really like the sound of Convenience Store Woman

(I haven't managed to read an entire book (of more than 12 pages) since I was a child haha so I'm the last person to ask.)

Happy with either choice :D

Hey, that's also alright! I don't think one has to read the entire thing when joining for the book club because the convo often digresses quite fast into topics that are relatable to anyone :smile2:

Are you able to borrow this in your local library, btw?

biscuits 16th September 2022 18:06

Aw that's good to know. Thank you! I'm hoping the idea of people counting on me to read will motivate me to do it!

Good question. I just checked the online catalogue and they have it :D but I haven't used my library card since I was in school! Presumably it becomes void after a certain amount of time?! I'll check tomorrow because I need to go into town to donate some bras.

biscuits 17th September 2022 10:31

Success: I signed up for a library card.

The librarian seemed surprised and he asked me why I wanted to sign up. "To take out books," I replied and he laughed.

Not such a success: they didn't have the book. I must have used the catalogue incorrectly. What a library n00b hehe

Jen. 17th September 2022 11:34

^ I don't know if it's the same as where I live, but the online catalogue for my local library shows everything available in all the libraries in the area and you have to set the filter to only show what's in your local one. Although if a book is listed in the catalogue but isn't at your local library you can just pay a small fee (the one for mine is 20p) and they'll transfer it over for collection, usually by the next day.

βetty 17th September 2022 11:55

Worth checking if they've got ebooks or online audio books too, there's apps you can download, mine uses Libby and Borrowbox. Looks like my County library service has the audiobook available if I can't get hold of a physical copy

Mr. Nobody 17th September 2022 12:17

biscuits 18th September 2022 17:58

It's strange how where I live there are two different libraries (a county one and a city) so I think I'll join the city library too.

Thanks for the library tips, everyone! I've requested a copy but who knows when it will arrive. Good shout on the audiobooks. I'll see what I can do.

Edit: it's in transit at the moment so I should be able to collect it on Saturday.

Mike.Kzov 18th September 2022 22:20

^ excellent! I think you’ll like Convenience Store Woman, I can see it chiming with your sense of humour.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Golden Sprout (Post 2553126)
Mike, great suggestions! Convenience Store Woman is actually among my most recent reads and I found it very refreshing, so I'd really like to re-read and talk about it.

I've not yet read TWotW and I do want to, so this is a tough choice.

CSW will be a re-read for me too, it would be great to hear what others make of it.

Would be interested in any recommendations other have, too :smile2:

The Golden Sprout 19th September 2022 08:42

Mike, you might like Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine. It so happened that I read those two back-to-back and there are some obvious parallels. Would have suggested that one here, but it's almost 400 pages (although it reads fast)

genovese 20th September 2022 18:12

Picked up CSW from the library :thumbpur:

The Golden Sprout 20th September 2022 23:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by genovese (Post 2553696)
Picked up CSW from the library :thumbpur:

Yay and hello! :dancing_b :cheerlead:

Mike.Kzov 22nd September 2022 10:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Golden Sprout (Post 2553543)
Mike, you might like Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine. It so happened that I read those two back-to-back and there are some obvious parallels. Would have suggested that one here, but it's almost 400 pages (although it reads fast)

Thanks for the recommendation. The reviews seem to be quite mixed, I'll have to read it and make up my own mind.

genovese 22nd September 2022 11:04

^^ Ta :thumbpur:

There's a bucket load of physical copies circulating in London libraries. Most are checked out so you gotta reserve to get one. On my Libby app they have a few copies, with about a 2 week wait for one.

biscuits 23rd September 2022 18:24

Tomorrow I am car-less and (of course) it's the only day I can pick up the book. I've managed to get a lift to the library though, so that's good!

Once we all have the book how will we discuss it?

Mike.Kzov 24th September 2022 18:56

^ Huzzah, one step closer. Next you just need to read the thing :d

biscuits 24th September 2022 20:19

Maybe we should have a zoom session where we take turns to read a chapter to each other haha

SA exposure/hell.

Mike.Kzov 25th September 2022 11:35

^ That was always my least favourite part of English class at school!

I agree with The Golden Sprout that a Zoom/Discord call would be good. Though I'm easy :-)

biscuits 17th October 2022 22:18

Some punk requested the book, so I returned it to the library without finishing.

Luckily, I've managed to get it as an audiobook.

Mike.Kzov 19th October 2022 20:45

^ Hope you're enjoying it :-]

anxiouslondoner 19th October 2022 23:07

I had an Amazon voucher so I bought some Iain (M) Banks to read. I've not read anything by him before. Well I'm not much of a reader really, at least not books. I just tend to read crap online.

βetty 20th October 2022 16:26

Ah balls, I forgot to pick my reserved copy up from the library again and it's closed tomorrow. I can't remember how long it's been sat there, they might have sent it back already :eekpurple

^ Which Ian Banks book is it? Or is it an Ian M Banks book?

anxiouslondoner 20th October 2022 16:34

^ I bought The Wasp Factory and a box set of the first three Culture books. So it's both I guess.

Mike.Kzov 22nd October 2022 11:08

^ I read The Wasp Factory earlier this year. It's one of the oddest and darkest books I've ever read. Certainly original though!